Notices

Really Scared

Old 11-24-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

hello humbled, and welcome.
yes, i remember being scared. i had no idea how life without alcohol would be, how I would be...
depending on where you are in Ireland, you have the option of going to LifeRing meetings.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...80185997,d.cGE
Old 11-24-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

There is nothing about AA that's religious.

Spiritual yes, religious no.

Give it a chance..... It works.

I avoided it for many years for the same reason.

Turns out, it was one of the biggest things I needed to open to..... Spirit.....
Old 11-24-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Humbled, we have all felt the shame and guilt. It's good to keep it in mind to help you stay sober but you cannot change the past. In time, you forgive yourself and move on.

This may sound superficial but I always recommend being gentle with yourself in the beginning. If you just feel like watching tv-do it, reading a book-do it, eating junk food-do it. Eat a bag of holiday cookies, binge on netflix.....whatever makes you comfortable right now. And of course, we are always here for you.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Humbled!! You definitely can do this!!
Old 11-25-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone for the advise and support. I'm on day two is all right now. This is nothing new to me as I've often gone weeks without drinking. Can I ask if anyone in here could recommend something other than AA? I read almost all the big book last night and its not for me. I'm going to see what support is in my local area outside of AA but I just need to know that other people have succeeded in getting and staying sober outside of it. Whether that means seeing addiction counselors, joining a different type of support group etc etc
Thanks as always
Old 11-25-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Someone mentioned Lifering...it's a secular approach.
LifeRing Ireland

SMART recovery is another secular approach
SMART Recovery® - Ireland Meetings

If there are no face to face meetings near you, I understand they both have online meetings available too

D
Old 11-25-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Humbled84 View Post
Thanks so much everyone for the advise and support. I'm on day two is all right now. This is nothing new to me as I've often gone weeks without drinking. Can I ask if anyone in here could recommend something other than AA? I read almost all the big book last night and its not for me. I'm going to see what support is in my local area outside of AA but I just need to know that other people have succeeded in getting and staying sober outside of it. Whether that means seeing addiction counselors, joining a different type of support group etc etc
Thanks as always
HI humbled,

I attended counselling for alcohol addiction too and I found this really helpful. I was able to talk about my worries and fears without worrying id hurt someones feelings. Talking freely is really theraputic and I really recommend it. This was CBT therapy.

I asked to be referred by my doctor, this was fairly easy to do in Glasgow, I dont know what the protocol in Ireland would be, although I dont see it being all that different.

Well done on day 2!

L x