Notices

Class of November 2014 Part 3

Old 11-23-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It moves to the Daily Support forum, but nothing else changes...you guys stay together

A new Class of December thread will take your place here in the main Newcomers forum for all those getting sober in December

D

Just out of curiosity: What is the highest # of parts to be continued or transferred to the new location at the months closing? I mean, we're special of course, with being the Class of November 2014 part 3 already, but... How prolific are we compared to other classes ?
Old 11-23-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Sad to say i screwed up this weekend. I dont really want to talk about it, but suffice to say i decided i just wasnt going to try. But, i am still wanting this, and to be here. Starting again. Next time i decide i dont want to try i am going to come here first.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Hi guys here and sober. 3 days done.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Administrator

The January Threads are always mammoth - I think one of them got to part 4 or 5 in the first month?

D
Old 11-23-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

I feel so down, this nightmare needs to end. I think I am finally ready to accept its forever. That i need to walk away from booze. No deals, no trial times. I am done. I have to be because i just cannot take it anymore. I have reached the end of what i can handle. Its either life without booze or nothing. I wont live like tis anymore.

Sorry everyone just a bad day. I am going to sleep now.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((avra)))
Old 11-23-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Hi everyone - I'm late signing in but I'm part of the Nov class with a Nov 9 sobriety date and 2 weeks sober today. My first real attempt at sobriety was in Mar of this year when I got to 70 days and then relapsed. My plan at that time was will power and posting here. This time I'm taking it more seriously and am going to AA meetings and working the 12 steps with a sponsor.

I've been a binge drinker. Binges for me would happen maybe once or twice a week at home and would last from a couple of hours to occasionally half a day. I would drink 200 to 500 ml of straight vodka during a binge with very heavy drinking in the first 45 minutes or so. Once I was really intoxicated I would listen to music and dream impossible dreams and entertain visions of greatness and then lurch off to bed for a restless night and a fog of nausea in the morning as I faced the terrible thought of how I would feel at work all day.

This time is easier in the sense that I haven't really had cravings so far, maybe one short episode. It's harder in the sense that I'm trying to really take accountability and come to terms with the fact that I'm an alcoholic and what that means for me. My courage is good and I'm doing my best to take it a day at a time.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Avra View Post
I feel so down, this nightmare needs to end. I think I am finally ready to accept its forever. That i need to walk away from booze. No deals, no trial times. I am done. I have to be because i just cannot take it anymore. I have reached the end of what i can handle. Its either life without booze or nothing. I wont live like tis anymore.

We understand avra. Pick yourself up and start anew.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
Way to get through the weekend bbf.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  
not a greeter

i hope you sleep well Avra . Tomorrow is a fresh start.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post

Way to go bbf!
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The January Threads are always mammoth - I think one of them got to part 4 or 5 in the first month?

D
Okay... So we have a few days to pick up the pace!

Originally Posted by Lance40 View Post
Hi everyone - I'm late signing in but I'm part of the Nov class with a Nov 9 sobriety date and 2 weeks sober today. My first real attempt at sobriety was in Mar of this year when I got to 70 days and then relapsed. My plan at that time was will power and posting here. This time I'm taking it more seriously and am going to AA meetings and working the 12 steps with a sponsor .
Hi & Welcome Lance! Congrats on your 2 weeks and glad to here you have a plan!
Old 11-23-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Morning All,
Day 9 here. So much difference a week makes. Was still coming down from my final bender this time last week. This morning I'm fairly calm and collected and happy to have been completely sober during the last week+. Lots going on in this thread. Anxiety about the holidays, alcohol in the cupboard, etc. The holidays can be tough and could very well drop some of us from our sobriety goals. There was mention of being prepared and even avoidance if needed - all good advice. I was fortunate enough to naked it through the holidays last year on a good sober streak before eventually relapsing in late February. I still attended two christmas parties though and actually had a decent time as I was capable of real conversation rather than drunken talk. I recall some people being a little disappointed that I wasn't drinking and confused actually but for the most part, people didn't even take notice - We're not the centre of the universe that we alcoholics think we are. The BEST part about being sober through the holidays was being present for my wife and kids, waking up on Christmas morning without a pounding headache, exercising through the holidays, just being alive rather than a slave to the drink. I encourage all of us to embrace sobriety through the holidays and see how much better life can be without booze. Although not for everyone, I will face life sober head-on and not shy away. I will avoid high-risk people for a few months but otherwise I will carry on living. Past relapses have been brought upon by my inability to face the reality that I can never drink normally again, nothing else. I am going out of my way to remind myself of that now - I'm even thinking of getting it tattooed on my forearm if necessary!

Sorry for the rant. Just enjoy waking up and sharing with people going through a similar time in their lives. Have a good sober Monday everyone.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

'Naked through the holiday!' Sorry, need to start proofing my posts:-)
Old 11-23-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Congrats on 9 days Sober Marathon.

You know I often wonder why people get disappointed or bothered when people don't have a drink with them. I see this even with non-alkies like my mother in law. If I say i am not drinking I can sense the disappointment. Then the question, "well its not forever is it"? "That would be too bad to never have a drink again". Now she doesn't know the extent of my problem - maybe if she did she wouldn't say that. Honestly my AV really uses awkward situations with people, like my mother in law against me. I need to just not care how it affects them or what they think.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Congrats on 9 days Sober Marathon. You know I often wonder why people get disappointed or bothered when people don't have a drink with them. I see this even with non-alkies like my mother in law. If I say i am not drinking I can sense the disappointment. Then the question, "well its not forever is it"? "That would be too bad to never have a drink again". Now she doesn't know the extent of my problem - maybe if she did she wouldn't say that. Honestly my AV really uses awkward situations with people, like my mother in law against me. I need to just not care how it affects them or what they think.
If someone offers you a drink, you can politely say 'I'm not drinking tonight', which should suffice for most people. If someone really tried to push it on you, you can ask them 'are you going to clean up my MESS for me afterwards?'. That MESS can be anything from losing your credit card to offending people to missing work the next day, etc - I've done all of the above by the way!! That's why I no longer drink, I'm tired of trying to clean up my MESS.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that Avra. No problem to come back with a little humility. Maybe take a few minutes to promise yourself that you will not allow your AV to take you down like that again.

I know that different people have different opinions on things but I can tell you my experience: two decades of trying to cut back and convince myself that I could continue to drink but not abuse. Two decades of a worsening problem and two decades wasted beating myself up. I wish I had decided to accept that I must stop hard long ago...no exceptions. The finality of it provides clarity and is strangely comforting. No exceptions...ever....see? Now I can stop beating myself up over looking for the middle ground anymore, the fairytale solution that lets me have my cake and eat it. No drinking...EVER!
Old 11-23-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  
Administrator

If I say i am not drinking I can sense the disappointment.
I felt I was disappointing people too..maybe I was...I know I was a favoured drinking partner for some cos I always made them look good...

other times tho I think the disappointment was almost anticipated by me, and I'm not sure it was ever really there at all.

Many times I tried to stop, & all too often I drank so as not to disappoint ppl...but never a moment's pause to consider how I was disappointing myself.

If people were disappointed by non drinking me, they got over it Avra - I'm sure those who love you will too

D
Old 11-23-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Sorry to hear that Avra. No problem to come back with a little humility. Maybe take a few minutes to promise yourself that you will not allow your AV to take you down like that again. I know that different people have different opinions on things but I can tell you my experience: two decades of trying to cut back and convince myself that I could continue to drink but not abuse. Two decades of a worsening problem and two decades wasted beating myself up. I wish I had decided to accept that I must stop hard long ago...no exceptions. The finality of it provides clarity and is strangely comforting. No exceptions...ever....see? Now I can stop beating myself up over looking for the middle ground anymore, the fairytale solution that lets me have my cake and eat it. No drinking...EVER!
Well put!! No more beating yourself up. Should feel like a huge weight off your shoulders:-) Trying to moderate and be 'normal' can be exhausting. Better to free your mind for a better life. I'm right there with you!
Old 11-24-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Day 5 here - I have my house back to normal now that my MIL has left us and although we get on great im relieved she's gone. I just want to focus on me n my family for a bit and have us please ourselves . I went on a 5km walk this morning - bought a new book and am now sat in the garden - it's a gorgeous day here and although I woke up groggy and headachy, the night sweats have now stopped and I feel like I could sleep for a millennia. Feeling positive though and like so many here who have re-lapsed in the past - I believe that I too now 'get it' I can no longer drink EVER - it is simply not an option for me and you're right - it is comforting to know this. Trying to be normal is exhausting

Happy Monday peeps xx
Old 11-24-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Good morning Friends,

I never thought I would see this day, 21 days. I am grateful for the support from SR. I don't post a lot but I read and read all of your post. I learn from all of you so a Thank you.