Notices

Day 11 - went to AA

Old 11-19-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11 - went to AA

I went to my first AA meeting at lunch today. I was scared. People were warm and welcoming, and a lot of the people spent the hour talking directly to me as a first timer. It was intense. Those people don't mess around, and things get real. There was everything from people who looked homeless to sharply dressed business people. They all spoke from the same place. It was nothing like I imagined it would be. Sobriety for me just went to a whole other level today. They didn't call on me to talk, and it's a good thing because alcoholism just became something a lot bigger than my understanding of it - I'm still processing. I'm going back.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Good for you!
Old 11-19-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's great! I'm glad you had a positive experience. I've been to many AA meetings (although only one recently) and I haven't felt connected to a group yet.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me too josharon. It makes me think something is seriously wrong with me. I just can't find a group off AA that I click with. Glad I'm not alone. I have found SR to be more helpful. But I'm determined to stop drinking with or without AA!
Old 11-19-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done Lance good luck

Congrats
Old 11-19-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice! That is encouraging, Lance.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's awesome!!! Good for you for taking that step!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad it helped you and that they made you feel welcome.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Last edited by Coldfusion; 11-19-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: double post
Old 11-19-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

On behalf of everyone who attends meetings, I thank you for walking through those doors. And with the grace of your higher power, you will feel this way too.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lance that's exactly how I felt too when I went to my first meeting! It took me a while to find a home group that I really connected with. For me it was going to a women's meeting. Try a bunch of different a meetings, they all have their own feel.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good stuff Lance

D
Old 11-19-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Excellent Lance! Remember to look for the similarities and not the differences.

After you attend more meetings I believe it will become clear to you that in order to fully engage the program of AA, folks need to open up about themselves and share with the group honestly. Once you feel comfortable enough to talk, I suggest that you try and share a little bit about yourself. There is no need to lay everything on the line immediately, just a little about your background and the situation that brought you to the rooms, would be a good way to break the ice.

Once you are more comfortable, you will feel more at ease and will be able to express yourself to the group with the more details of your situation.

I suggest that you arrive early to meetings and stick around after to chat with folks and get to know them better. You may even start making some sober friends... I know that is what happened to me!

If you don't have the Big book yet, get one and start reading. The first 162 pages lay out the program and in the back are the stories of individuals who have changed their lives in AA. YOU CAN TOO!

Congratulations on walking into the rooms.

Good Luck!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome to the fellowship
Old 11-20-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi.
From my day I started AA I had a difficult time getting sober for too long. Probably the most important words I heard were “KEEP COMING.” That was a lot of sober years back and I repeat those words often to this day.

BE WELL
Old 11-20-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. I have a sponsor and am reading through the Big Book and a book about the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions. I'm just focusing on Step 1 right now. The noon meeting I attended won't work very well in the long-term because I only have a 30 minute lunch break. There are quite a few evening and weekend meeting options in my neighbourhood, so I will be trying different meetings.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good for you, welcome brother....

The 12x12 is a terrific resource. Glad you discovered it early - great companion to the Big Book.

Between SR and AA I have found an extremely terrific one - two punch. I call it the combo package - so grateful for both.

Kind Regards,
FlyN
Old 11-20-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is so good! That is how my first meeting went. And that group is now my home group. I have been to a few AA meetings in the past and no one spoke directly to me as a newcomer. I personally believe that makes a huge difference. Don't worry about talking for a while. I'm 50 something days in and I finally shared yesterday. Just listen and don't drink. The stuff you don't understand today, is going to hit home down the road. I bring a notebook and try to jot down at least one thing a day that someone says that means something to me. When I have one of those dark moments I can read my journal and it all goes away.

Jennifer
Old 11-20-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Lance, I'm glad you had a good experience. My first meeting was very similar to that, and everyone there related stories which I'm sure were aimed at me being the newcomer. It gave me a lot to think about and process too.

I've only spoken to say thank you to everyone so far, not shared anything yet, but then I've only been to three meetings.

Good on you.