Notices

any deer hunters out there?

Old 11-12-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

any deer hunters out there?

This will be my first gun deer season sober. Not in the drunk the whole time, but getting wasted the night before/ out drinking with other hunters after hours. I'm pretty pumped, and just can't wait to be out in the woods. It will be nice not having to deal with all the bs life throws at us. Anyone doing the same?
Old 11-12-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am. Havent been out years though. Mule deer here, few whitetail out east. Youre going to have such a good time. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Post up brother and do it. Mule deer and die hard waterfowl guy here. I keep saying one more drop of booze and the hard hunt will just get to hard. We cant do it if our brains are complete mush from this crap.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you planned how you'll handle those before and after sessions Rachinator?

D
Old 11-12-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Low

Sorry to say this, but what a bummer having to get your kicks by taking the life of such a beautiful creature that is doing nothing but trying to live it's life. So glad I can get out and enjoy the woods without having to kill something.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm going out in the morning to hopefully help eradicate some of the deer problem we have around here.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Work in progress...

Not sure your reply helps anyone, Low. Uncalled for attack.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not all of us are hunters - I'm definitely not - but this threads not really about that.

I'd like to think we can either answer the call for help...or ignore the thread.
thanks

Dee
SR
Old 11-12-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I missed a couple weeks of early bow because I was in Georgia. When I returned I carried a can of ginger ale with me for three weeks to celebrate with. It was my 'champagne'. I got to drink it on Saturday. Every day I looked at that ginger ale on the passenger seat but I wouldn't drink it until I got a deer. It tasted sooooooooo gooood!

It's a great feeling to be up early and not have the shakes or freezing cold shivers from a hangover. And being able to focus my eyes. I made it to my spot without a flashlight too. Waited in the dark and 15 minutes after sunrise I was done Well just beginning the hard part. Went 80 yards and retired. After dressing I had to drag another 40 yards to hang him up. I tripped over a log hidden under the tall grass and my legs were trapped under him. I had to weasel myself out - was heavy. Good thing I didn't break an ankle. I couldn't imagine doing that by myself a year ago. Round 2 tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to hunt but I haven't hunted since before I got married in '94. Just didn't have time, then after my dad passed I just didn't feel like I would want to without him. In fact I have never hunted without Dad!

A lot of guys and gals view hunting as a chance to get drunk but it was reverent to my dad, almost sacred. He didn't tolerate booze while hunting or handling firearms in general.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wasn't trying to start a hunting/ non- hunting argument. This is an activity that I enjoy that used to involve drinking. I would love to have advice on similar situations. I need to prepare. Some of the things would be have my own cooler for Pepsi. Also, if I'm offered a beer/booze I will say no thanks I've lost the taste for it. If I get overwhelmed I will either just go home, or back into the woods. I know I can do this. I need to be ready. I'm too early in recovery to throw it all away agian.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Low View Post
Sorry to say this, but what a bummer having to get your kicks by taking the life of such a beautiful creature that is doing nothing but trying to live it's life. So glad I can get out and enjoy the woods without having to kill something.
I agree. I know it's better to bite one's tongue, but there have been a few hunting threads lately and the enjoyment of death is always something I've found quite triggering. I often have to shut the forum when I see a hunting-related thread, because it raises my anxiety levels so much. No offense, but if talking about loving hunting is allowed, voicing upset over hunting should be too. This is supposed to be a safe space for everybody, and not every topic is morally neutral, and we should probably make allowances for that.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I guess I should Rephrase the thread

Again, I'm not here to offend anyone. The question/advice/support here is about an activity that I enjoy. Normally this activity would involve drinking. I need to prepare myself for this event.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Work in progress...

Originally Posted by snowbunting View Post
I agree. I know it's better to bite one's tongue, but there have been a few hunting threads lately and the enjoyment of death is always something I've found quite triggering. I often have to shut the forum when I see a hunting-related thread, because it raises my anxiety levels so much. No offense, but if talking about loving hunting is allowed, voicing upset over hunting should be too. This is supposed to be a safe space for everybody, and not every topic is morally neutral, and we should probably make allowances for that.
Yet you opened a thread with a title about hunting. I think it would have been best to not open it and move on instead of opening it and making it about you.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let's take a breath.

ThatHombre, Snowbunting did not open a thread with a title about hunting. The thread was started by Rachinator.

As Dee pointed out, Rachinator was posting about how to deal with a situation where alcohol had always been involved in the past.

Feel free to put any members on Ignore.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

mmm mm mmmmmm mmmm mmmmmmm mmmmmm!

(This is me talking with my hand over my mouth. Someone will understand.)
Old 11-13-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Rachinator View Post
I wasn't trying to start a hunting/ non- hunting argument. This is an activity that I enjoy that used to involve drinking. I would love to have advice on similar situations. I need to prepare. Some of the things would be have my own cooler for Pepsi. Also, if I'm offered a beer/booze I will say no thanks I've lost the taste for it. If I get overwhelmed I will either just go home, or back into the woods. I know I can do this. I need to be ready. I'm too early in recovery to throw it all away agian.
I used to go hunting with my grandfather I have not hunted in decades but I remember that after the hunt, the adults would definitely have a few.
Take into consideration that your cell phone might not work in the woods and that you might be completely disconnected from your usual support system (including SR).
I would suggest that you talk to a couple of your hunting friends with whom you are close and tell them that you quit drinking prior to the hunt. Like that, if someone gets a bit pushy, you will have at least someone who has your back.
I would also suggest that you have an exit plan.
Last but not least, you obviously love that activity but you are still fairly new to recovery: if don't feel comfortable and think you might drink during the trip then just cancel.
There will be more hunts you can participate in when you are more secure in your sobriety, on another hand if you were to relapse you never know whether or not you will make it back.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Rachinator View Post
I need to prepare. Some of the things would be have my own cooler for Pepsi. Also, if I'm offered a beer/booze I will say no thanks I've lost the taste for it. If I get overwhelmed I will either just go home, or back into the woods. I know I can do this.
Seems like a reasonable plan.

Something I needed to watch out for was the old 'day after' AV ploy. The one where I make it through the big event I was planning for and the next day my AV says good job! time for your reward!

Beware the post-hunt let down.

Have fun!
Old 11-13-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have removed several more posts. Please take personal differences to PM or use the ignore function.

D
Old 11-13-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I have removed several more posts. Please take personal differences to PM or use the ignore function.

D
Dee, lock it now. Anti hunters are the worst of internet trolls. They will not stop.