Notices

any deer hunters out there?

Old 11-13-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I opened the thread because....Are there any deer hunters out there, was the question.

I am going opening day with my husband this Saturday, looking forward to spending time together. He doesn't drink so no issues there. We harvest deer and fish for protein. My husband is an avid hunter/fisherman and has been since he was old enough to hold a shotgun/fishing pole. It's the way things are around here and we are accepting of those who opt to 'gather' their protein source from the local market.

We all have different interests/passions. Rachinator bring plenty of non-alcohol beverages and food. Peace.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

good luck jipsee, take an extra thermos of coffee along. And a few bottles of water to carry. An energy bar and water should do the trick.

I found ginger ale to be quite a refreshing drink to celebrate the harvest.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

For Real LBrain, it's snowing here....brrrr
Old 11-13-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

woops, double post. I just went to start car for wife - it's 36 and raining here. I was going to go out this afternoon - good thing I didn't. It's still archery here. And when you already have one down the desire to go out in nasty weather subsides.
It's supposed to be snowy in the morning - just flurries. I'm heading out. I love being out in the snow. I don't even care if I see anything.

correction - it's now snowing

Last edited by LBrain; 11-13-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: weather update
Old 11-13-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Rachinator, I hunted a few times when I was much, much younger. I was a pretty good shot too, but it wasn't really my thing. However, I would hunt again if I needed the meat.

Deer camp in my parts was a group of guys who usually engaged in one part actual hunting to three parts drinking. It was kind of right of passage for most of males and a few females. Hopefully, you won't have to deal with that kind of activity.

Enjoy the woods.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

There is no hunting where I am, but plenty of hiking in the forest. I used to hike a lot when I was drinking.

I definitely appreciate hiking more now that I am sober. I feel better physically, and my clear head allows me to observe things in nature that I would otherwise fail to notice.

I am happy that there is one less drunk hunter out there. Booze and high powered firearms should never be allowed to mix.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Just another day...

My husband is an avid hunter. Hunting with his bow is his favorite way to hunt tho he does have his collection of guns.

Are you going on a hunt for so long or do you hunt locally? A hunt for a period of time might be hard to do esp if things make you uncomfortable and you can't leave camp. At least that is how I would look at it. Make sure your exit plan really allows you to leave the entire situation. If your on a trip then make sure you can get to a motel or something.

I like the idea of a cooler packed with your drinks. I did that for the 1st party I went to sober. I did drink it like I was drinking beer tho. lol I didn't know how to drink like a normal person.

Someone suggested telling a few hunting buddies that your not drinking, I like that too. Support is good. Plus they have your back...thats comforting if things get tense. You know how drunks can get when there is a sober one in their mists. lol

Maybe keep some things in mind..put scenarios in your head. Do you hunt mornings? I think its the best time. I like morning hunts. Getting up before nature. Getting in your stand/blind and watching nature wake up. Sometimes you get so engrossed in what you see and hear you forget your hunting. I think its breathtaking. Its something that cant be put into words, you have to see it. And the scene never gets old no matter how many times you are watching it or how cold it gets. You cant do that hungover. Can you even make a clean shot hungover? I know I couldn't. Chances are my dumbass wouldn't even be able to get in my tree stand if I drank the night before. I don't know if you trophy hunt or just hunt for meat or what but what if it happens..you get that big boy! holy batman ****! BBD! You get that deer back to camp and everyone is excited. Now your hunting buddies want to celebrate...lets get drunk. The next day you wake up hungover and having to deal with this deer...did I mention your hungover? lol It needs you to process it or be taken to a processor. If not then the life that was taken was done so in vain. No meat because you were drunk and hungover and let it waste. Thats a shame.

Stay sober. There may be some boring times, times that might have been filled up with drinking, but the rewards to being sober during it are much better. None of your senses are numb!('cept maybe finger tips and toes from the cold..did you see those remote control inserts for your boots? wow! bundle up!) you are experiencing everything raw. It makes you appreciate it more, I think. The fact that you are out there bringing food home for the family...organic and clean. You only take what you need not go buy 20lbs of hamburger and throw half away.

I did drink at hunting camp but only a couple times. However, when I did drink the agreement was always if you drink you don't hunt. He would say that it wasn't smart to not only put my life in danger but possibly his. My husband hardly touches alcohol during hunting season.

I hope you have a wonderful time hunting sober!
Old 11-13-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Wise of you to recognize that this is an activity that may present a challenge early in sobriety. Keep focusing on your gameplan and be ready to leave if you need to. Otherwise, enjoy your Pepsi.

BTW, I'm a Badger State native, though I no longer live there. Lots of deer hunters in my extended family.