Notices

Need advice....

Old 11-12-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice....

Day 2 here... just looking for suggestions for curbing the "craving". I'm good now but I know in a short while I'll start leaning more and more towards "stopping out" just for "one" which I know wont be the case (I know I can't have just "one"). What do you guys do when you start "craving" or what DID you do in the beginning? The "craving" lasts longer than 15 mins than other posters have said (well, at least for me it does). I become preoccupied with the idea of stopping for "one". ANY helpful suggestions appreciated.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Distraction was my weapon at the start, doing other things to take my mind of things, whether it was going out for a long walk in the fresh air to clear my head, play online scrabble for a bit, log in and read SR, even housework was a great activity, my house was soo clean and organised, it was unreal!!

Planning new activities the day before I found was a great way forward, the evenings after work was the time I used to drink, and so planning new things to do each day meant I would be occupied until bedtime!!

Hang in there, it gets easier!!
Old 11-12-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 2 try this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/3192016-post1.html

and http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 11-12-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was early in recovery I used to walk my dogs when I had cravings to drink. They got a lot of walks and I stayed sober.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, I had to get out of the house and walk. It worked wonders for my outlook and helped me get through the usual time of day when I'd be drinking. I think that you should do anything that distracts you to get through the cravings, and it will get easier.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Junk food is working for me on day 2.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I had an urge to drink I logged on SR. I had the luxury of all the time in the world because I lost my job. But if you're able to, it always helps.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

what your routine like charlie?
I spent a lot of time drunk watching TV...trying to do that sober did my head in.

Keep busy and occupied...change your routine up

D
Old 11-12-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ice cream and distraction. Varying my routine. Coming on here and reading when I didn't want to. Especially when I didn't want to remind myself that I was an alcoholic and wanted a drink. And shouting "oh, no! Not this time!" whenever that little voice promised that just one would be ok.

Hang in there.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Shouting "no!" at that voice helped me a lot, as Ruby2 said, and completely changing my routine, eating junk food, and drinking lots of water,juice, tea, etc.

Find things to do. Exercise works for a lot of people.

At 33 days now, I don't have to shout at it any more.

Hang in there, you're doing great.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I find that ice cream and non-caffeinated soda works for me.... oh and lots of oreo cookies
Old 11-13-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

JanieJ - I've also done the 'shouting no!' response. As I got more time and the thought came into my head I would just grin and remind myself and remember why I had to stop.

Always go back to that terrible way you felt when you knew it was time to quit. If you can always keep that feeling available when you need it, and bring it out, you will never want to drink again.

No matter how much time you have, if you think you can have a drink and get away with it, always remind yourself of how you felt just before you decided you had enough. I know I don't ever want to feel that way again.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I stay moving in the house doing whatever while I play it out in my head. I've only had one strong urge in 5 months but it was worthy. I caught myself going toward the door twice. The closest convenience store is walking distance and I know where the $6 vodka resides on the bottom shelf, the familiar feel of the neck of the bottle--all that! 20 minutes later I was on keel and could not believe it came on like that. My wife helped me play it out to the end. I'm fortunate to share my life with another quitter. I don't drink but sometimes will have to address that voice in my head that wants to with a solid NO!
Old 11-13-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I like to go the opposite direction from drinking and harming myself. I do something caring and healthy. I'm a woman so I like doing a facial mask, tweezing my eyebrows, hair treatments, etc. But I also do things like make a smoothie, do some exercise, take a bath, read a book about something I would like to learn about. I study advanced Italian to improve my language skills, things like that.