# 21 (permalink)  

I don't know , I've never had just one
Old 11-11-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

RockSea,

nothing wrong with one drink.
nothing at all.
but you didn't stay there, obviously.

will it always be like this? will it ever be different?

no-one can answer that for you but you.

when i understood and knew deep down and accepted that it would and could never be different for me, i turned around and could finally quit.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well if one is a normal drinker, there is absolutely nothing wrong with one drink.

If someone is an alcoholic like me, "one drink" turns everything on it's head. My last relapse started with "one drink." The funny thing is, I had the following thoughts in a row: this tastes like crap. I don't like it. I don't like how I feel. This is stupid. I need another!

Those thoughts all happened in the space of a minute. There is definitely something wrong with how my brain processes alcohol. That just isn't normal. Which means I'm not a normal drinker. So, alas, I can't drink.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I never wanted 'just one'. I drank to get numb and one drink didn't do it. It's so much easier for me to just not drink at all.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I can only speak for myself. One is never an option; and I've tried plenty of times to moderate. One always leads to two and by the time I'm at three, there is no stopping until I hit the bed. Doesn't matter what time of day I start, there is no stopping after I've had that first drink. But for me, that's why I drank.

Like other's have said, I would never have "one drink" just to have "one drink". The goal is to get to that "buzz" or "high" as quickly as possible.

A lot of us here have tried everything under the sun to moderate, justify drinking, justify continuing to drink, convincing ourselves that we don't have a problem.

Bottom line for me is that I do have a problem and it starts with that first drink.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

Originally Posted by wehav2day View Post
My last relapse started with "one drink." The funny thing is, I had the following thoughts in a row: this tastes like crap. I don't like it. I don't like how I feel. This is stupid. I need another!
Oh my god, yes, exactly, I am dying laughing, you are so spot on. I have had the exact same thing happen way too often. It's one of thought processes that makes you just stare at your own brain like, What are you *doing*?? You took a wrong turn somewhere there, brain.

It's like "another" will be the conclusion I draw *no matter what* thoughts came before that.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I never drank for the taste. I dran to get drunk and then maintain being drunk for about five hours. That took about 12 rather than one.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
learning to live

For me, YES it will always be that way!

I have practiced too many times and it is ALWAYS that way.

I avoid this by not drinking one drink. There was never one drink for me. Once I had that one drink the obsession was off and back to the races I went on the merry go round of insanity.

I heard once; "whats the point of two drinks, that's just getting your mouth dirty"....that's the way I see it. I cant just have one or two drinks! Do I like that, No. But, that is who I am and it is just easier for me not to drink. I'd rather go through my whole life wondering if I am an alcoholic over trying this test over and over to end in a revolving sick state of mind every single time.

That's me. Sounds like from your example above you might be the same. I wish you well. You can also avoid that first drink to avoid the above situation!
Old 11-11-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

What's wrong with just one drink?

For me...One Word.

E V E R Y T H I N G!
Old 11-11-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

If I have one drink either two things will happen:
a.) I will drink the one and feel unfulfilled - like eating just one potato chip when you are hungry, its harder to stop at one than if you never had any at all
b.) I will continue to drink and likely drink too much

I've seen the script before, and the best thing is just to stay sober.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
The problem is, we're not in the game for "one drink". We don't get that special feeling we crave from just one drink. We're in this to get buzzed and drunk, and once that euphoria hits us, we only want more of it.
I definitely agree with this comment. One drink for me would be a huge tease and I would more than ever crave that "special feeling".
Old 11-11-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
I could probably have one. Then one the next day. Then three the day after that. A few days later, a bottle...before long, a bottle every day. Downward spiral quickly ensues. I'm still learning that this is how it works for me. It always has, and if I keep having that first drink, it always will.
Josharon this is exactly my life to a t. I keep thinking I can moderate it, but I can't. The most rewarding part of sobriety is waking up guilt free, and being on the site reminds me of that every day.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rocksea46 View Post
How come? Will it always really be that way? Anyone here different?
it could be that way because y are an alcoholic.
Will it always be that way? Well,no. If you are an alcoholic, it will probably get worse.
Different? Me? For an alcoholic? No. As time went on alcoholism progressed and my tolerance dropped.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by rocksea46 View Post
This is the questions that keeps on cropping up for me. Last time I was sober for a while I went out with a friend and had one glass of wine. Fine right? When I got home I went out and bought a bottle and drank it. The next day 4 cans of beer, bottle of wine and then that or more everyday since I gave up on the 3rd.

How come? Will it always really be that way? Anyone here different?
Alcohol was my rocket fuel - everytime I drank I fuelled my rocket...

sometime I balasted off right away - sometimes it took too a while...but blast off was always inevitable.

D
Old 11-11-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You answered your own question, the problem with 1 drink is it opens the flood gates!!

. . . and yes, if like me you have a problem with alcohol it will always be that way, the only answer is to part ways with alcohol on a permanent basis!!

My life has been looking up ever since!!
Old 11-11-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

My take..

Odd first post I know. This one peaked my interest. I joined a year ago but I lurk and read just not posted.

Over the last 10+ months I have substantial time completely sober. And probably equal time moderating. Sounds like I'm normal and appears as such outside my private world. The truth is I can begrudgingly moderate but as others state it just isn't what comes natural and white nuckle discipline is not what most folks practice. What started as me wanting to change my young children's exposure to drinking has morphed into if I can't drink like I want to then I'll pass and that then turned into waking fresh and clear on Monday feels pretty good. Or waking up and doing yard work on Saturday ain't so bad. In short my dislike of the negative consequences eventually trumped my equal dislike of having to set limits and feel like a prisoner to something I honestly do not really want to moderate to begin with.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

For me one drink equals 20. Period. It's just the way it is. Drinking is not an option
Old 11-11-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

One of my favorite quotes comes from the book Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp.

When you question your alcoholism, you say to yourself: If I am an alcoholic, I shouldn't drink and if I'm not an alcoholic, I don't need to. That's a nice piece of logic. You say: People who aren't alcoholics do not lie in bed at two-thirty in the morning wondering if they're alcoholics. A good reality check.

So to answer your question, if you aren't alcoholic, you won't need even the first drink. It was this logic that has kept the voices in my head from overwhelming me. I know that I do want that drink, so this tells me something.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Just me sitting here and thinking about "one drink" brings on suffering and shame. It will never be "just one".
Old 11-11-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I remember something in the book Under the Influence about how non-alcoholics begin to feel uncomfortable after 3-4 drinks. Either sleepy, dizzy, loopy, nauseous. Whatever one so they stop. They aren't holding themselves back from 6, 8 or 12. Alcoholics the pleasure seems to keep increasing.

The first six we're simply the warm up, like accelerating the car to 70 mph on the freeway. The next six-eight were simply maintaining the drunk for the next six hours.......or OOOPS blacking out.