Notices

What's wrong with just one drink?

Old 11-11-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I can't have "one".
Old 11-11-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

One leads to more. Just remember it does get better. Don't ask me when because I am only on day 9 but it is slowly getting better for me. I tried getting a smaller bottle and that led to getting another bottle later that night, usually driving drunk. It is not worth it.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

For me it's not like I go out and get drunk after one. It just builds up over time until I'm worse off than ever. It's better not to cross that line at all, and it's much more relaxing.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Answer: The same thing that's wrong with the one bullet in the chamber.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
For me it's not like I go out and get drunk after one. It just builds up over time until I'm worse off than ever. It's better not to cross that line at all, and it's much more relaxing.
Yes. It ended up being a huge stressor to have to keep the quantity stocked up. Part of me always tried to buy less but I'd always return to the store for more. So much stress!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Alcohol was my rocket fuel - everytime I drank I fuelled my rocket... sometime I balasted off right away - sometimes it took too a while...but blast off was always inevitable. D
when you think about it alcohol taste a little like fuel.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I remember my attempts at moderating years back, I would buy two of those little one-glass serve bottles of wine, take them home, drink them rather quickly and then wish I had some more. Now if I wasn't an alcoholic, I would be able to buy the big bottle, because I could have two glasses out of it and leave the rest. But I couldn't buy a bottle without drinking it all. So I know there is no joy in "one or two" for me. I'd rather not start at all.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rocksea46 View Post
This is the questions that keeps on cropping up for me. Last time I was sober for a while I went out with a friend and had one glass of wine. Fine right? When I got home I went out and bought a bottle and drank it. The next day 4 cans of beer, bottle of wine and then that or more everyday since I gave up on the 3rd.

How come? Will it always really be that way? Anyone here different?
It will always be that way to me. My brain isn't wired like 90% of the population that can have just one drink normally and safely.. I have a different genetic makeup.. so the only safe amount I can drink is none.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by retiredusaf View Post
One leads to more. Just remember it does get better. Don't ask me when because I am only on day 9 but it is slowly getting better for me. I tried getting a smaller bottle and that led to getting another bottle later that night, usually driving drunk. It is not worth it.
Thanks for ' its gets better '
Tess
Old 11-12-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cafeexpresso View Post
when you think about it alcohol taste a little like fuel.
This is so true, when I was pregnant I hated alcohol for just that reason it tasted like petrol. I wish it still did...
Old 11-12-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JCMJ View Post
Odd first post I know. This one peaked my interest. I joined a year ago but I lurk and read just not posted.

Over the last 10+ months I have substantial time completely sober. And probably equal time moderating. Sounds like I'm normal and appears as such outside my private world. The truth is I can begrudgingly moderate but as others state it just isn't what comes natural and white nuckle discipline is not what most folks practice. What started as me wanting to change my young children's exposure to drinking has morphed into if I can't drink like I want to then I'll pass and that then turned into waking fresh and clear on Monday feels pretty good. Or waking up and doing yard work on Saturday ain't so bad. In short my dislike of the negative consequences eventually trumped my equal dislike of having to set limits and feel like a prisoner to something I honestly do not really want to moderate to begin with.
Yes I may be the same... Thank u