Notices

drink after 7 months

Old 11-10-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Who wants one drink? When I have ONE drink it gives me a thirst for more and I don't stop until I pass out. I'm a classic alcoholic no way would I experiment with one drink; totally out of the question.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MatthewMills197 View Post
if i'm so alcholic why am i not drinking today? can you switch on and off if you are alcholic.
In my experience normal drinkers do not ask themselves these questions.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
instant

For me there is no point to 'having one'. In the past i tried 'just getting drunk now and then' , "only on weekends" etc. Sounds good, cant do it and sustain it. Waste of time trying, puts a lot at risk
Old 11-10-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by esinger View Post
The fact that you are obsessing about how you might be able to drink normally might tell you something.
Good luck on whatever you decide. Just be careful.
I agree, people who don't have a problem don't obsess over how much, when and how often they drink. They just don't.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MatthewMills197 View Post
1. I got arrested
2. I went a bit bonkers
3. Lost my job that really loved p***ed me off

the thing is melinda i drank yesterday but i'm not going to drink today cos i have a lot of stuff to do but i'm thinking maybe i can have a drink at christmas or something

if i'm so alcholic why am i not drinking today? can you switch on and off if you are alcholic.
sounds to me like youre p!ssing about with it, because normal people DONT get arrested, go bonkers, lose their jobs, through drink

alcoholism centres in the mind

the mental state that precedes a relapse is the crux of the problem

but if drink works for you who am I to tell you any different

but I don't agree with posting on a forum such as this one where people are really trying to give up drinking " that its ok to drink, im not alcoholic" from posts ive read on this thread it seems others are now wondering, hey perhaps I can drink too, maybe im not alcoholic.

only my outlook on this topic, it may sound harsh, but I don't take my alcoholism lightly, its serious, and I have to work for my sobriety.

dave
Old 11-11-2014, 12:20 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Playing the one-more-drink game just kept me drinking. Should I stop? Should I continue? Should I stop? Should I continue? It was like a ping pong match but the "should I stop" NEVER ever won. I always drank again.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:21 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wondering whether we can moderate is a part of nearly everyone's story I think.

As I read it the OPs not suggesting it's a great idea for everyone, he was wondering about whether it might be possible for himself.

There been some great recovery in the responses tho

I do appreciate your concern Dave...but everyone has the choice to avoid these threads if they upset

D
Old 11-11-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Alcoholism is a particularly sneaky addiction in my experience Matthew - it doesn't mind playing dead in order to lull us into a false sense of security.

D
I was just thinking this.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The great wish of anyone here is that a little time off will somehow make them into a normal drinker.

Every time I went back to drinking the first few times were usually fine - I drank like a gentleman, no embarrassments, no overwhelming desire to get wasted...

but sooner or later things always reverted to the way they'd always been.

D
I can absolutely second that, for what it's worth.

Yhink it through very carefully, and good luck.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:02 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

thanks so much to everyone who has posted on this thread, it has really helped me.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:15 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I drank again after 2 years.

Bought a six pack, drank 4 of them and went to bed.

Woohoo... A couple of years off was the answer..... Or so I thought.

4 years later, I drank 9 beers, 9 bourbon and cokes, 6 shots of tequila, 5 drambuies and according to my bank balance, there was more but I'd blacked out by then.

I was too drunk to walk, so I drove 40km home in a blackout, finally falling asleep at the wheel about 1km from home and stuck my car in a ditch with 4 feet of water in it.

Climbed out the window, cause I couldn't open the door, went home and carried on drinking.

4 drinks to 40 drinks in 4 years.

Be careful would be my advice.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

thanks again for all you comments to each and everyone of you
Old 11-11-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

You can't moderate. The odds are awful. My guess is 99.99 to .01. The house will kick your butt. I've been there. Don't try, please.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

My guess is 99.99 to .01.

I would give it a little better odds than that

But, not much better

MM
Old 11-11-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I'm hoping to avoid these issues but my tendencies are likely to lead me down a similar path. I am confident I can quit but less confident I can avoid alcohol altogether in the future. The replies to this post have helped me understand what I have to deal with and keep in mind.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi Matthew. I once had 5-6 months. I was not exactly counting back then, because I gave it up due to health issues, but did not identify as alcoholic. I needed to change my eating, stop drinking and to lose weight. I thought I could go back to occasional drinking, and even had the ok from *my liver doctor.* "out to dinner, with friends on the weekend, but no habitual use." That was what he said when I asked if I could ever have a glass of wine again.

well, so, I had 2 glasses on New Year's Eve that year. Then I drank at a party in February. I drank too much that night especially for not having drank for months. I was very hungover. It was awful. Then, I decided to drink on a vacation. I was trying not to, but my husband was drinking every night, and I finally caved and joined him. And, from there on out, I was pretty much back to habitual drinking. I have had a sober month or two since, here and there, weeks here and there, but cannot get to 100% sobriety. It gets harder all the time.

I wish I had not started back to it at that time, after that 6 months. But I am still trying.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
Never worked for me. I had one night of drinking to celebrate six months once, took me years to get six months again. Never kept the promises I made to myself, even though I looked good for a little while. I hope your experience is different. Opinions don't count what happens does
I did the same thing, instant - lost a six month quit because I was so proud of myself. Now I'm struggling just to get a week together.

And like the OP, every time I relapse I tend to quickly ramp up faster and drink more than before. Scary stuff.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Alcohol is it's own demon. I've been fooled several times into thinking I had a handle on it. I even thought I'd matured and had outgrown it. I was such an idiot. Please don't be like me.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Wish I could make you understand.

But I probably cant.

I had 5 Months going, sober and free, feeling great...then I blew it.

In one week....just 1 WEEK!!!...I'am back to where I was a year ago!

Just that quick. I'am working again on "Day 1".

The "Day 1's" dont come easy anymore !

Dave
Old 11-11-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi Matthew,

I am the classic mental health/alcoholic combo. Going on 44 days complete and total sobriety tomorrow. I'm certainly not close to seven months, but my advice is don't even try to moderate. Stay quit and never look back.

The last six weeks of my life have been the happiest I've had in a long time. There's no reason to gamble that away, and my perspective is that you shouldn't take that chance either. I won't go into further detail as to why, because it seems like other commenters have done that job already.

I wish you the best!