Notices

drink after 7 months

Old 11-10-2014, 01:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drink after 7 months

I had a drink yesterday after being sober for 7 months but I am not feeling anything.

I mean I知 not upset with myself, I知 not angry, I drank and I handled the drink fine and I think maybe I can drink again as long as I moderate myself. Thinking maybe I知 not actually an alcoholic but it was my mental health problems and the combo of drink that sent me nuts. Now I知 more stable mentally I知 thinking I can have a drink now and then.just my thoughts...

feedback please
Old 11-10-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can I ask why you stopped drinking seven months ago? Drinking too much? Too often? Couldn't stop drinking once you started?

If I had seven moths sober and I had a drink I would want more. I would have two the next day and three the next day. No moderation plan would work for me.

Would you please share 3-5 reasons that you stopped seven months ago? What would be different this time?
Old 11-10-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A.K.A Bri

Let me know how that works out for you... I have mental health issues that up until recently I couldn't get under control because I'd either drink with my meds or skip them altogether. But now I'm sober and doing well - I'm overall happier, more productive, and clear-headed and I've thought a few times that maybe my mental health issues were what caused me to indulge so uncontrollably in alcohol but I'm just not willing to test the waters by trying to drink to find out. Keep us posted. Please. As someone in a similar situation, I'd really be interested in how things work out...
Old 11-10-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

1. I got arrested
2. I went a bit bonkers
3. Lost my job that really loved p***ed me off

the thing is melinda i drank yesterday but i'm not going to drink today cos i have a lot of stuff to do but i'm thinking maybe i can have a drink at christmas or something

if i'm so alcholic why am i not drinking today? can you switch on and off if you are alcholic.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Never worked for me. I had one night of drinking to celebrate six months once, took me years to get six months again. Never kept the promises I made to myself, even though I looked good for a little while. I hope your experience is different. Opinions don't count what happens does
Old 11-10-2014, 01:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Tread very very carefully, Matthew. Moderation is completely out of the question for most people here and if you read through the threads you'll find out why.

It could be that you're not an alcoholic and that your relationship with drink has changed, but what's more likely is because you are sober your medication is working better and you feel more in control.

I agree with Melinda. Something prompted you to give up 7 months ago and it must have been pretty persuasive. Revisit that if you can and see if it's worth taking a (possibly life threatening) risk.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks everyone

i drank yesterday but am not drinking today thats where my issue is. a few of you have said you couldn't stop once you started but i have, thats whats flipping my brain right now

thanks for all your replies they help me
Old 11-10-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

The great wish of anyone here is that a little time off will somehow make them into a normal drinker.

Every time I went back to drinking the first few times were usually fine - I drank like a gentleman, no embarrassments, no overwhelming desire to get wasted...

but sooner or later things always reverted to the way they'd always been.

I think sometimes alcoholism has a wicked sense of the ironic...it loved to reel me in, all smug cos I'd beaten it, and then BAM rabbit punch and I was back to square one.

Mine is not a rare story - you'll likely hear it again and again in this thread.

I think you asked here because, deep down, you know what the answer is Matthew.

You've not posted much or in any detail so I don't really know what bought you here, but if you keep drinking, I really think you're risking all that's happened before, or worse, happening again.

You can keep drinking and find out for yourself or you can avoid whatever unpleasantness is likely just around the next corner.

I really hope you make a good and wise choice, Matthew.

D
Old 11-10-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

Every time I went back to drinking the first few times were usually fine - I drank like a gentleman, no embarrassments, no overwhelming desire to get wasted...

D
This has really made me think!thanks
Old 11-10-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcoholism is a particularly sneaky addiction in my experience Matthew - it doesn't mind playing dead in order to lull us into a false sense of security.

D
Old 11-10-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your comments
Old 11-10-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

BTW Dee i read a lot on here but don't post that much. came across Sober recovery website by googling about being sober
Old 11-10-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you decide to have another drink, think about your arrest and what lead you to stop drinking. It may help you to put it down.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been trying to moderate for years. If by moderation you mean never drinking more than 1 and not drinking everyday, I could never obtain that.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by MatthewMills197 View Post
thanks everyone

i drank yesterday but am not drinking today thats where my issue is. a few of you have said you couldn't stop once you started but i have, thats whats flipping my brain right now

thanks for all your replies they help me
NO YOU HAVE NOT!!!

Your drank successfully once. If you are alcoholic moderation is impossible. You will be back to where you were in a short period of time
Old 11-10-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

BTW Dee i read a lot on here but don't post that much. came across Sober recovery website by googling about being sober
Thanks Matthew - to be clear, I wasn't having a go at you for not posting more, simply that I don't know much about your story

D
Old 11-10-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by instant View Post
Never worked for me. I had one night of drinking to celebrate six months once, took me years to get six months again. Never kept the promises I made to myself, even though I looked good for a little while. I hope your experience is different. Opinions don't count what happens does
This!

I had a night of the "f-its" after 7 years of sobriety and it was 8 years (and near death) before I got sober again. There are never any guarantees there will be a "next time" to get sober.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I did this exact same thing and came to the exact same conclusion at about six months.

Thus began a progressive and awful year and a half long descent into near-daily blackouts.

I'd say this is a really good time to get yourself a written step one, sit down and get super honest. Look back at your own history with alcohol and write it all down. Everything. Year by year.

Look at the evidence of your own story and ask yourself if this is a reasonable conclusion or a warped alcoholic mind's trick.

I know that for me.... It had to get pretty awful and I'm fortunate that I survived it.

Is pouring poison down your gullet REALLY important enough to you to risk it?
Old 11-10-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grateful

And to add another thought to my post above, after that one night I didn't go back to drinking "alcoholically" right away. It "felt" like I was drinking moderately and I was in control for several weeks before it spiraled out of control again.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

1. I got arrested
2. I went a bit bonkers
3. Lost my job that really loved p***ed me off

the thing is melinda i drank yesterday but i'm not going to drink today cos i have a lot of stuff to do but i'm thinking maybe i can have a drink at christmas or something

if i'm so alcholic why am i not drinking today? can you switch on and off if you are alcholic.
Yes. In the mid stages you can.

At least.... I could.

The trap of my alcoholism was that I could often go and just have one. I was great at giving myself 'evidence' that I didn't have a problem.... But then eventually I would wake up from a blackout. Sometimes in a jail cell.....

Arrested.. Went bonkers.... Lost job.....

Could you be similar?