Notices

Need moral support very close to give in

Old 11-04-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I'm with others on this. You can't be the only one to have made this mistake. I can't see how either you or your wife would end up in jail over any of this. Drinking on the other hand would be a very real problem for both you and your wife. Hang in there tnman.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't blame you for being anxious but you being anxious won't make this guy call back tnman.

I hope it works out, or you find a solution quickly - like others have said you can't be the first guy who's done this?

D
Old 03-07-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Update, exactly what I was afraid if has happened

We received a red light camera ticket in the mail Friday. I.e. the new owner is driving on my plates still. He is a scumbag unfortunately. Now i have to go to court in April to try to convince them that I do not own the car any more. With no bill of sale, no way of proving that it's not my car, I'm seriously bummed out. I have almost 20 months of sobriety. I am the most honest person that you can think of and of course the buyer of my car has to be a scumbag. The only good thing about this is that I have not been drinking over it. If this continues though all bets could be off. What a stupid mistake. I really don't understand why I deserve this garbage, over a $1000 truck. I'm really bummed out.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure others here will be able to give you advice tnman. The advice I'm going to give you is don't throw away your new life over one mistake, or one period of stress.

Things will work out

D
Old 03-07-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If it were me, I'd consult a lawyer soon as possible.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

A. Don't drink over this. It won't help

B. Do you still have any texts or voicemails, emails about the purchase?
Old 03-07-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
If it were me, I'd consult a lawyer soon as possible.
Yes, I will but not yet. This red light camera ticket is a $50 and won't go on your record. No lawyer will touch this until I'm charged with something. State of TN won't give you an option to disengage yourself from the title. See my earlier posts for my story. Thanks though.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peanutbutters View Post
A. Don't drink over this. It won't help

B. Do you still have any texts or voicemails, emails about the purchase?
Unfortunately not, I just have the phone number, but the person who has the number act like they don't know anything about it. I.e. he used his girlfriends phone. He is an all out scumbag.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Here's what I found on TN laws for this infraction (also says no points on ur license and fines starting at just $50, which you mentioned too).

You weren’t driving the car. If this is the case, the photograph should demonstrate that someone else was driving your vehicle;
Old 03-07-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Into the Void

TNmanm,

I don't practice law in Tennessee but I am very sure you have 0% chance of criminal liability for what someone else does with your plates and car. That means no jail. Civil liability ($) may be possible if they cause an accident or get tickets with your registered car, so do NOT cancel your insurance until the registration is cancelled. I find it hard to believe there is no way you can cancel the registration at the DMV. I would follow up on that. And don't take the word of the lady who takes your number at the counter. Ask to see a supervisor.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Originally Posted by tnman1967 View Post
We received a red light camera ticket in the mail Friday. I.e. the new owner is driving on my plates still. He is a scumbag unfortunately. Now i have to go to court in April to try to convince them that I do not own the car any more. With no bill of sale, no way of proving that it's not my car, I'm seriously bummed out. I have almost 20 months of sobriety. I am the most honest person that you can think of and of course the buyer of my car has to be a scumbag. The only good thing about this is that I have not been drinking over it. If this continues though all bets could be off. What a stupid mistake. I really don't understand why I deserve this garbage, over a $1000 truck. I'm really bummed out.
I am sure others have made this mistake, Do not drink over this.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Have you Googled the phone number you have? In some cases it may be traceable or possibly even listed on social media.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:12 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Probably the correct way to fix this if the DMV won't cancel the registration is to sue the buyer of the car as a John Doe and subpeona the phone company to get the identity of the phone owner and see who she was calling and/or texting. Once you have the buyer's identity, you can sue him to make him return the plates to you. However, hiring lawyers to sue people is expensive, especially when they are scumbags. A cheaper route might be to get a private investigator to call the fine lady and trick her into disclosing her identity and that of her gentleman friend. Of course, then you still need to get your plates back by some method. What a mess!
Old 03-08-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Tinman, it will work itself out. My suggestion before you go and spend a bunch of money on lawyers is to write out the entire story in writing starting with the texts and how you sold the car and all that. after you have it all in writing, go down to the police station and tell them you want to report the car stolen precisely because of what has happened. The police should be able to help you. If the person that bought the car is that irresponsible, it is only a matter of time until the car gets impounded. The other option is to go talk to a tow yard. Usually they have repo man contacts that know how to track down a car. If you could find out where the buyer lives somehow, you could go and remove the license plates from the car and then the buyer has to come back to you for a bill of sale.

For now, pay the $50 (lowers your profit to $950) and send in a letter explaining what has happened. Again, the cops don't want your car out there being driven by someone who has no accountability. It is important that you get something on record that shows you no longer have the vehicle. A letter to the DMV and the filing a stolen car report should suffice. Also, send a text to the person that bought the truck (even if they are not responding) and let them know you are reporting the truck stolen. you will likely hear from them.

Lastly, don't threaten ending 20 months of sobriety because you made a mistake. The strength you have shown getting to 20 months is far greater than having to suck it up because someone pulled a fast one on you. It happens every day. And finally, just think of how you would be dealing with this if you were drinking. I am guessing you would be out of your mind and taking it out on the family. Also, in the unlikely event that something serious happens with the car and the cops show up trying to get to the bottom of it, imagine if you were drunk and how much harder you would make it on yourself. you really don't need that.

Report the car stolen with the cops. If the new driver is out there committing crimes in your car, the cops should agree that is the best way to remedy the situation. Whatever you do, get something on record with someone that this has happened so in the event something serious happens, you wont be liable.

Keep up the great work and don't let the little stuff beat you up.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Tnman
Old 03-08-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nymets86 View Post
Here's what I found on TN laws for this infraction (also says no points on ur license and fines starting at just $50, which you mentioned too).

You weren’t driving the car. If this is the case, the photograph should demonstrate that someone else was driving your vehicle;
Unfortunately in TN it doesn't matter. The infraction goes to whomever is registered to the vehicle. It doesn't matter who drove it. Crazy I know.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
TNmanm,

I don't practice law in Tennessee but I am very sure you have 0% chance of criminal liability for what someone else does with your plates and car. That means no jail. Civil liability ($) may be possible if they cause an accident or get tickets with your registered car, so do NOT cancel your insurance until the registration is cancelled. I find it hard to believe there is no way you can cancel the registration at the DMV. I would follow up on that. And don't take the word of the lady who takes your number at the counter. Ask to see a supervisor.
Yes, it's crazy, you can't disengage yourself from a plate in TN any longer. Changed a few years ago. You are on the hook until expiration of the tag which will happen in August. Very crazy legal situation on this in this State.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by INgal View Post
Have you Googled the phone number you have? In some cases it may be traceable or possibly even listed on social media.
Yes I have the number but he never answers the phone. It's a lady who answers who I think is the girlfriend. Like I said she says they don't have my car. I really think he is a scam artist of some sort.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redheadinus View Post
Tinman, it will work itself out. My suggestion before you go and spend a bunch of money on lawyers is to write out the entire story in writing starting with the texts and how you sold the car and all that. after you have it all in writing, go down to the police station and tell them you want to report the car stolen precisely because of what has happened. The police should be able to help you. If the person that bought the car is that irresponsible, it is only a matter of time until the car gets impounded. The other option is to go talk to a tow yard. Usually they have repo man contacts that know how to track down a car. If you could find out where the buyer lives somehow, you could go and remove the license plates from the car and then the buyer has to come back to you for a bill of sale.

For now, pay the $50 (lowers your profit to $950) and send in a letter explaining what has happened. Again, the cops don't want your car out there being driven by someone who has no accountability. It is important that you get something on record that shows you no longer have the vehicle. A letter to the DMV and the filing a stolen car report should suffice. Also, send a text to the person that bought the truck (even if they are not responding) and let them know you are reporting the truck stolen. you will likely hear from them.

Lastly, don't threaten ending 20 months of sobriety because you made a mistake. The strength you have shown getting to 20 months is far greater than having to suck it up because someone pulled a fast one on you. It happens every day. And finally, just think of how you would be dealing with this if you were drinking. I am guessing you would be out of your mind and taking it out on the family. Also, in the unlikely event that something serious happens with the car and the cops show up trying to get to the bottom of it, imagine if you were drunk and how much harder you would make it on yourself. you really don't need that.

Report the car stolen with the cops. If the new driver is out there committing crimes in your car, the cops should agree that is the best way to remedy the situation. Whatever you do, get something on record with someone that this has happened so in the event something serious happens, you wont be liable.

Keep up the great work and don't let the little stuff beat you up.

Thanks for your encouragement. However, I can't report anything stolen, and the police won't even allow me to report the plate missing. I've tried. I will be charged with a false police report, and that is serious business. No, I'm stuck with this until I get my hearing which I asked for. I have to try to convince them somehow that I sold the car and see if they make a notation of it at DMV.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

report the car stolen, I hate to say it, but it is the only way to remedy the situation if the state of TN is that horrendous a place to account for such things. Somehow I think there has to be more to this story.

yeah, it is the wrong thing to do, but what are your options?

I was looking at a job posting in TN, thanks for the info, think I'll pass...

As was said, drinking will do nothing to remedy this. It will only make it worse.