Notices

New and day 2

Old 11-04-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and day 2

Hi there. I am on day 2 of sobriety & was looking for additional support in my recovery. I'm going to AA & already have a sponsor but am still struggling with fierce cravings in these early days. I'm hoping to climb out of this dark hole & be sober & happy. Does anyone have tips on overcoming the cravings? I've heard this is the hardest part...these early days, weeks, months. Thank you.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

I am new to recovery too. Have you tried going to the gym?
Old 11-04-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome I found that sugary foods/drinks helped in the early days. Also foods like bananas and eggs (there is a scientific reason behnd that, but can't remember)

Plenty of water though to rehydrate and hang in there
Old 11-04-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JT0626 View Post
The gym is excellent but remember, you'll be dehydrated, so take extra water with you
Old 11-04-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi LimaBean; welcome to SR.

One of our members, soberwolf, likes to post a link to "urge surfing"; I am sure he will be along soon.

I have to run out; I'll look for the link when I return if soberwolf hasn't chimed in.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ok! I could use the gym or just exercising outdoors. I've gained some weight lately anyway. I think that's a great idea. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I will try eggs and bananas but not mixed together. Haha
Old 11-04-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JT0626 View Post
JT, you said you are new sobriety too. Are you doing ok? Any advice?
Old 11-04-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hello LimaBean, welcome to SR
Old 11-04-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi LimaBean3000,
Welcome. So glad you made it.

I read that vitamins help with the cravings, especially the B's. I've been taking lots since i quit and i think it's helping. I'm going on 13 days.

The gym is also a good idea. I love to workout, my sore muscles let me know im making progress towards my goals. Good health and fitness. Just that alone makes me not want to mess up and blow all my hard work on a night of drinking that i most certainly would regret in the morning.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Keeping my head up!

way to go lima bean! This is day 2 for me as well...I love to run and that is what I made myself do yesterday even though my body was saying "NOOOOOOO" haha, I just kept on 3.5 miles and then drank plenty of water...gotta get that poison out of us.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Vitamins sound like a good idea. I'm sure my body would thank me as I've been pouring poison into it for so long.

I wish I could run 3.5 miles! I can't even run to the stop sign. It's been a goal of mine to run a 5k but because I've been drinking I haven't done it. Maybe that can be another goal...thx!
Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Keeping my head up!

Originally Posted by LimaBean3000 View Post
Vitamins sound like a good idea. I'm sure my body would thank me as I've been pouring poison into it for so long.

I wish I could run 3.5 miles! I can't even run to the stop sign. It's been a goal of mine to run a 5k but because I've been drinking I haven't done it. Maybe that can be another goal...thx!
When I started 2 years ago I couldn't make it to the stop sign either! And I didn't get much better for quite a while, and then all the sudden I could just R U N. It's the only thing I've wanted to do in my life that I have stuck with no matter how bad I have felt. Seems like every time something starts to get hard, I just put it down, like my guitar playing, I suck, because it has gotten hard and I don't practice, never graduated from college, why? It got hard and I didn't want to do the work. I quit a company after 11 years of service because they started to expect a little more from me, imagine that! Why'd I'd start drinking again after 32 months of sobriety? Life got hard and I just didn't feel like working it anymore! Hmmmm...sorry for the ramble Lima, i just started typing and this stuff came on out!
Old 11-04-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I really relate Jagger! I run from things that are hard (or stressful or scary or hurt me) too. I'm definitely a RUNNER! I've been that way for a long time. I grew up in an extremely dysfunctional home with lots of screaming, yelling, abuse etc. I guess it's just a coping mechanism I picked up and still use for some reason.

Like for instance, when things get hard or stressful or whatever...I run to get a bottle of alcohol or beer and drink as fast as I can until I can't feel the pain or fear if whatever anymore (temporarily). The next day everything is worse though so now I'm ready to make some changes. But I'd like to start really running...you know, the exercise part? Haha

How are you doing on your sobriety now? Are you doing ok?
Old 11-04-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hi welcome congrats on your 2 days sober

sugary drinks and chocolates help

also try not to sit with thoughts of drinking at all, especially when youre getting a craving

if youre in AA there is a book called living sober its great for early recovery ideas

dave
Old 11-04-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Dave. I will look for that book at my AA meeting. I assume you are in AA? If so, do you find good support there?
Old 11-04-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Keeping my head up!

Originally Posted by LimaBean3000 View Post
I really relate Jagger! I run from things that are hard (or stressful or scary or hurt me) too. I'm definitely a RUNNER! I've been that way for a long time. I grew up in an extremely dysfunctional home with lots of screaming, yelling, abuse etc. I guess it's just a coping mechanism I picked up and still use for some reason.

Like for instance, when things get hard or stressful or whatever...I run to get a bottle of alcohol or beer and drink as fast as I can until I can't feel the pain or fear if whatever anymore (temporarily). The next day everything is worse though so now I'm ready to make some changes. But I'd like to start really running...you know, the exercise part? Haha

How are you doing on your sobriety now? Are you doing ok?
Thats kinda ironic. . . the running part for me at least, that id be good at running cause thats what i am! haha

Day #2, I feel pretty good...but I've been to this point many many times prior so kinda know why to expect as far as my body, the lack of sleeping, the past etc.
Hopefully by making use of this great tool and many others that are available to us, we can make a permanent change. So, in answer to your question, right now, I'm OK and hope you are too!
Old 11-04-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thx! I'm hanging by my finger nails. Racing thoughts. Oh my!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Off to take a nap. I'm lucky I can nap in these early days. I must not pick up another drink. I'm on day 2. I've heard it gets much harder before it gets better. Kinda nervous and scared....

Thx for your replies and suggestions.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Hi LimaBean; welcome to SR.

One of our members, soberwolf, likes to post a link to "urge surfing"; I am sure he will be along soon.

I have to run out; I'll look for the link when I return if soberwolf hasn't chimed in.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

LimaBean, as promised.