Notices

Need some advice

Old 11-02-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some advice

I have been making a very lame attempt to quit drinking for over a year. My lameness mostly comes from the fact that the guy I have been hanging out with for 9+ years, is a very heavy drinker, and likes to hang out in the local bar on a nightly basis. We drink heavily and fight horribly. I am made out to be the reason why we fight constantly. Even though more often than not, I have full recollection of our evenings out, while he does not. He suffers from blackouts lately. It sucks because I do love him, but see that he does not care to change. I feel like I need to make a drastic change to help myself get better, but know what to say or do. I am sick of this routine. Need some advice. Basically one alcoholic, with another alcoholic, that doesn't care to change!!
Old 11-02-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're right - two broken people, don't make a whole one When you were a little girl, growing up, is that what you wanted for yourself? I know I never dreamed growing up, that I would one day be an 'alcoholic' - a nurse maybe, even a pirate on the high seas at one point, but never a drinker.

I witnessed arguments between family members as a child and it put me off drinking for a lot of years (I was a late starter, as they say) - I'm wondering how your kids are coping with it all, apart from anything else? Sounds like you have a bit of a sticky situation going on We're here for you!

Welcome to SR by the way - it's a fantastic site
Old 11-02-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome FrumpyJay

A lot of our members have to deal with spouses who drink - I'm sure you'll hear from them

I think supports very important in a case like this - but I know you'll find a lot of that here

D
Old 11-02-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome to SR! I have no real advice. I hope you find what works for you.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, FrumpyJay! I'm not sure what specific advice I can give beyond maybe just tossing out ideas to explore. It seems that you're tired of drinking and ready to "get off the ride." That makes sense; it gets exhausting after a while, the endless parade of hangovers and regrets. It sounds like he's content with the situation as it is, and unwilling to change. Something will have to give.

One option might be that you will quit drinking and he will continue. I could foresee that being miserable for both of you. A sober person quickly tires of hanging out with a drunk all the time. It will be equally tedious for the drunk person to constantly feel judged.

Perhaps you just continue to both drink. The days and years drift by, never amounting to much. You get no closer to any of your life goals, no meaningful milestones are met. Consequences begin to pile up- DUIs, financial problems, health problems. Alcoholism is generally progressive; it it's bad now, just wait.

There's a chance that your getting sober could give him a kick up the butt that gets him to try sobriety, too. Realistically that's a long shot though. Alcoholics persevere with their drinking often for decades despite serious consequences. They will often drink right up to the point where death stills their glass.

So it's quite possible that you will have to make a choice, knowing that it will change your relationship. My ex-wife hated the way I drank. I loved her but not enough to quit drinking...that took a couple more decades.

Whatever you do you will find support here at SR! It's good to have you with us, FrumpyJay.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I would focus on your recovery and keep your distance from this guy you hang out with asap

its destructive and very unhealthy to your sobriety

my advice is stay away and focus on your sobriety Welcome to SR youl meet nothing but support here
Old 11-03-2014, 03:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your situation. You need to do what is best for you - and you know that involves getting rid of alcohol from your life. This may involve some really hard decisions that involve people you love. SR is a a place where you can find comfort, understanding and support. Welcome and I wish you the best!
Old 11-03-2014, 03:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome FJ

I think MythofSysiphus said it all really.

I was in that situation too with one of my exes, both drinking, both fighting. People just avoided both of us eventually as we caused trouble wherever we went.

Concentrate on yourself and things should fall into place.

You will find tons of support here whatever you decide to do.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You don't need advice...

You need action.

You've already shown yourself the answer...

" I feel like I need to make a drastic change to help myself get better,"
Old 11-03-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi.
I personally feel that relationships among non drinkers or narcotic users are difficult enough, add alcohol and I see misery as a normal result. JMO.

We need to get sober for ourselves and that can be tough enough without negative influences interfering.
We cannot get anyone else sober or drunk.
I’d suggest reading, on this site “Friends and Families Forum.” In addition Al Anon in your area has a great record for years of support for anyone with someone with alcoholic ties.

BE WELL
Old 11-03-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for the great responses. I am so appreciative of all of you and this site !!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum FrumpyJay!! Great to have you here!!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was once in a six year relationship with another alcoholic. Our drinking didn't always mix well. My experience proved that breaking up with him was the best thing for me. My advice to you is something along those lines Once you see the other person is resistant to change and growth, you have your answer.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've gotten lots of good advice here and I think you know what you need to do.

We're here to offer support.