Notices

I need to stop this madness !

Old 11-01-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I can't tell you how many days I got up and said, "I've had enough--at least, I pray I have."

Praying, without any ACTION, never did me a lick of good.

Reaching out is a good first step. How about taking the next one--a safe detox, getting rid of any alcohol in the house, having a serious conversation with your wife, attending AA or some other in-person recovery group? Things like that got me off the musing, feeling-sorry-for-myself floundering around that I would otherwise have done. I did concrete things, every day, to support my commitment.

I recently celebrated six years sober. I've got a lot of friends who "went back out" after several years of sobriety, and they all say it was harder than, and different from, the first time.
Thank you also Leixcat. Agreed, need to next gather courage to walk back into a meeting. God help me indeed. I have been a binge drinker for a long time now. Not an everyday struggle for me. I sit here and think sometimes I'm cursed even more, as I can go for weeks at a time soimetimes sober, but, during those weeks are always at least thinking about "not drinking". My brain is tired from ALWAYS thinking about alcohol in some fashion.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the gang HOUMJM

There's a lot of support - and hope - here
Old 11-01-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
tomsteve, I don't think HOUMJM was being cynical/negative in his post that addressed me
Yeah, I took it as the arrows in the butt were from the alcohol. He's been out "scouting" what it's like to go back to drinking, and coming back with a butt full of feathers.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A work in progress

HOUMJM, people in AA will be happy to see you. They might say (to themselves, hopefully not to you), "Thank god that hasn't happened to me." But really, people come back into the rooms all the time, and they are just GLAD you're back, and that they aren't seeing you in a box (happens more often than we'd like).

I know exactly what that feels like, to have that constant thinking about drinking when you aren't. That's that mental obsession that goes along with alcoholism, and until that goes away you are not truly free. The good news is that it CAN go away. And you can get that freedom again.

Please don't let this opportunity pass. In my experience, these "moments of clarity" have a limited shelf-life. If you don't act on it, the window of opportunity tends to close and you only have more misery to look forward to until it opens again--and you never know how long that will be. IF it comes.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
Easy there kimosabe. No ones been shooting any arrows here IMO. You say you were in AA for some time so I'm guessing ya may remember hearing that if something someone says bothers you then there's prolly some truth to it.
Maybe some truth to what some have said?

Many of us aren't into staying in the problem. We prefer solutions and talking about them.
Tom/Steve, ease up there too. I wasn't intending to offend anyone. Indeed just repeating a phrase I heard many times in meetings many years ago. I was trying to sincerely thank Binimini Blue for her encouragement.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
HOUMJM, people in AA will be happy to see you. They might say (to themselves, hopefully not to you), "Thank god that hasn't happened to me." But really, people come back into the rooms all the time, and they are just GLAD you're back, and that they aren't seeing you in a box (happens more often than we'd like).

I know exactly what that feels like, to have that constant thinking about drinking when you aren't. That's that mental obsession that goes along with alcoholism, and until that goes away you are not truly free. The good news is that it CAN go away. And you can get that freedom again.

Please don't let this opportunity pass. In my experience, these "moments of clarity" have a limited shelf-life. If you don't act on it, the window of opportunity tends to close and you only have more misery to look forward to until it opens again--and you never know how long that will be. IF it comes.
LexieCat, you are sooo spot on regarding the shelf-life on these opportunities. I am praying for a next miracle - am ready,