Notices

I need to stop this madness !

Old 11-01-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to stop this madness !

Hello, new here. Not sure where to start, other than have another hangover this morning and have had enough of this insanity !! At least I am praying this time that I have anyway. I had 13 years of sobriety, then in 2005, in West Africa of all places, stepped right out of the wagon. Been trying to drink "normally" ever since. Sometimes it seems like I have it under control, but I know just around the corner is my next potential drinking episode and increasingly likely disaster. Wife doesn't see too much of my drinking as I hide some of it and travel for business where a lot of my drinking takes place. Hoping this reach out will be a re-start to a new beginning - PLEASE !!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Houmjm. If you want to stop, you're at the right place. It can be tough getting off the roller coaster, but you did it once before, so I'm sure you can do it again.

Did you use AA or some other self-help group during your previous 13 years of sobriety? My advice would be come up with a plan and then work it.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, HOUMJM, to SR. Wow; thirteen years of sobriety is very impressive. The next 13+++++ can be even more impressive.

You can do this; you have proof. How did you achieve sobriety last time?????

Again, welcome; glad you found this site.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, for one thing, you've done it before and therefore know that you have what it takes! Reaching out here is a great first step. Day 1 today?
Old 11-01-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, day 1 today. Have had a few "day 1's" though so am trying to do something different this time - like finding this site. Never tried this type of online forum participation before. Feeling encouraged anyway.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you decided to add SR to your support.

There is always something inspirational here to read and we do understand how hard this is.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

FeenixxRising, many thanks for your reply. Yes, this roller coaster is becoming less manageable, and just sick & tired of it. I was first introduced to AA via a voluntary incarceration in a midwest state treatment facility in 1987. Then finished college sober, got a decent career going, had a few mishaps, got re-sober in early 83, and then built a pretty good life over next 12-13 years. Got married in 2000, all was good. gradualy stopped going to AA meetings, which I knew was a little dangerous, and sure enough on a business trip to Africa, just decided one night to drink. Stupid. Trying to fgind my way back ever since. I am definitely and alcoholic - not matter how many times I've tried to spin-it in my various self denials
Old 11-01-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I personally don't put much value in counting days. As the saying goes... Yesterday is history and tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift... That's why they call it 'the present'! Forget about last night... Don't worry about tomorrow... Just focus on not drinking today, and you will be fine!!!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Here's something you already know ...

If you were 100% honest with your wife about all this and started attending meetings again and were 100% honest there. Then, you are doing what you probably should. given what you have said so far, I think you know this might be one possible course to take.

Of course no one but you (and God) really knows what you should do, but given your history, it seems what others in meetings would tell you, and like I said, what you already know.

I'm honestly not trying to tell you what to do - just guessing that this is what your past program mentality and sponsor night have said.

You are in my thoughts and prayers!!!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have no doubt in my mind you can do this. Hop back on the sobriety wagon and post here when things get difficult.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also picked up again some years back after almost 2 decades sobriety. Coming up on 3 years sober now. It was harder stopping the second time around but I did. You can too.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

SR is great for support youl nothing but support here
Old 11-01-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I also had nearly two decades sober, then drank again in 2007 when all my family had died (individually - over a period of a few years), and I had just finished treatment for a life threatening illness. Then I lost my job and half my savings in the economic recession, then my best friend of twenty years had a breakdown and I stopped my relationship with her - then I broke up with my boyfriend and my cat died. Really? What next?

I drank for seven years. For the first three/four years I kept it to a couple a day, sometimes three. Then it took over. By 2013 I was looking for a way out and looking for my next drink at the same time. The month before I quit, I found myself opening a beer at 6AM. Hmmm...

I'm eight months back to sobriety. Life is better, much better. I have hope now.

You can do it, too. Today's the day.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 11-01-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I can't tell you how many days I got up and said, "I've had enough--at least, I pray I have."

Praying, without any ACTION, never did me a lick of good.

Reaching out is a good first step. How about taking the next one--a safe detox, getting rid of any alcohol in the house, having a serious conversation with your wife, attending AA or some other in-person recovery group? Things like that got me off the musing, feeling-sorry-for-myself floundering around that I would otherwise have done. I did concrete things, every day, to support my commitment.

I recently celebrated six years sober. I've got a lot of friends who "went back out" after several years of sobriety, and they all say it was harder than, and different from, the first time.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank You BB. I am tired of being a scout for all you sober people - coming back in with a butt full of arrows is getting old quickly now. Thanks for your encouragement !
Old 11-01-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! I'm using the book Rational Recovery and AVRT. Another option other than AA
Old 11-01-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, HOUMJM

I'm 19 days sober, and could not have done that without the good people on this board.
There is much support and many resources here, and a lot of humour too.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HOUMJM View Post
Thank You BB. I am tired of being a scout for all you sober people - coming back in with a butt full of arrows is getting old quickly now. Thanks for your encouragement !
Easy there kimosabe. No ones been shooting any arrows here IMO. You say you were in AA for some time so I'm guessing ya may remember hearing that if something someone says bothers you then there's prolly some truth to it.
Maybe some truth to what some have said?

Many of us aren't into staying in the problem. We prefer solutions and talking about them.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

tomsteve, I don't think HOUMJM was being cynical/negative in his post that addressed me