Notices

Slipping weekly

Old 10-30-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slipping weekly

Hi everyone,
I've been hanging around since early summer trying to get sober. I've made some positive changes to support my sobriety but once every week I drink, and I drink enough that I'm slightly hungover and remorseful and ashamed of my weakness and vow this week will be different but it never is.

Improvements: I used to drink at least a half bottle of wine nightly, more on the weekend. This meant I did nothing after work but take the dog for a quick walk, threw together some slapdash dinner for H and myself, then veg out on the couch until bed. Now I go to the gym, do yoga, meditate, make real meals, have a clean and tidy house, make plans.... My life is so much better in so many ways except for that one night when it's not.

My H thinks I'm ridiculous and cautiously encourages me to indulge, so there's that. But I put the responsibility directly on myself. Nobody makes me pour that glass or stop with workmates for a beer.

Posting and connecting instead of just reading is part of my plan to get through this. Thank you all for being here.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by BernieE View Post
Improvements: I used to drink at least a half bottle of wine nightly, more on the weekend. This meant I did nothing after work but take the dog for a quick walk, threw together some slapdash dinner for H and myself, then veg out on the couch until bed. Now I go to the gym, do yoga, meditate, make real meals, have a clean and tidy house, make plans.... My life is so much better in so many ways...
If everything is better, why are drinking?

Maybe you haven't fully accepted that you are quitting for good. Perhaps you are using the improvements in your life (not drinking nightly, for instance) as justification for the one night you do drink. I know how easy it is to convince ourselves that taking that drink, just this one time, is a good idea.

You know it's not. That's why you feel guilty.

I think coming her to SR for support BEFORE you drink is a great idea.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by BernieE View Post
Hi everyone,
I've been hanging around since early summer trying to get sober. I've made some positive changes to support my sobriety but once every week I drink, and I drink enough that I'm slightly hungover and remorseful and ashamed of my weakness and vow this week will be different but it never is.

Improvements: I used to drink at least a half bottle of wine nightly, more on the weekend. This meant I did nothing after work but take the dog for a quick walk, threw together some slapdash dinner for H and myself, then veg out on the couch until bed. Now I go to the gym, do yoga, meditate, make real meals, have a clean and tidy house, make plans.... My life is so much better in so many ways except for that one night when it's not.

My H thinks I'm ridiculous and cautiously encourages me to indulge, so there's that. But I put the responsibility directly on myself. Nobody makes me pour that glass or stop with workmates for a beer.

Posting and connecting instead of just reading is part of my plan to get through this. Thank you all for being here.
Not sure vowing is an attempt to quit. Sounds to me like since things are "high functioning" either you don't believe you have a real alcoholic problem or you're fine the way things are - simply regretful at times.

Many including myself were high functioning alcohols. If you are an alcoholic one of the outcomes quite possibly can be death - for high functioning alcoholics we usually get a more expensive coffin, so there's that.

It's for you to judge this, not us. If you truly are willing to quit, there's hope. If you're simply vowing this time will be different, change things!

Perhaps make a definitive sober recovery plan. Your regimen is laudable and a great start - many plans/tips listed around here if you need them - and stick to it. Your hubby cannot keep you sober nor make you drink.......

Btw - what the heck is Slapdash???

peace
Old 10-30-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Always reach out before you make a rash decision and try this when cravings strike http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 10-30-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you really want to get sober, then make the commitment to not drink, not even once a week. Alcohol is no longer an option. You can do this!
Old 10-30-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck to you!