Notices

I'm having trouble getting back up...

Old 10-29-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Willpower didn't work for me on it's own, my mind was addicted to aclohol and so alone in isolation there was only going to be one outcome, my own mind would grind me down.

It was support that turned things around, something outside of myself, something to short circuit my own thought processes, something to give me the strength and encouragement to go past what my mind wanted to do when my willpower and good intentions failed me.

Use SR when those thoughts crop up and post BEFORE picking up that first drink!!
Old 10-29-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey, Magellan; its almost 3:00 pm; are you with us????

You can do this, Magellan; you absolutely can!!!!!
Old 10-29-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Soberleigh, I'm back! I was just posting an email, as I predicted that little voice is nagging me. I got in a workout at lunch, it felt great and I stared to think about leaving early. But I have put those thoughts out of my head for now and have committed to staying at the office until 5p. Now that I have made the conscience decision to not have any wine tonight and I am posting I can do this today and then work on tomorrow. I want to get that good feeling back! Thanks for remembering I was coming back, it helps to have some accountability.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
Hi Soberleigh, I'm back! I was just posting an email, as I predicted that little voice is nagging me. I got in a workout at lunch, it felt great and I stared to think about leaving early. But I have put those thoughts out of my head for now and have committed to staying at the office until 5p. Now that I have made the conscience decision to not have any wine tonight and I am posting I can do this today and then work on tomorrow. I want to get that good feeling back! Thanks for remembering I was coming back, it helps to have some accountability.
Glad to hear this, Magellan. Tell that demonic voice that your SR buddies are lined up against him; tell him to be afraid, be very afraid.

Stay strong!!!!!
Old 10-29-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great to hear! I'm here too...just trying to get through the day, and I have a delicious drink waiting for me at home...sparkling water with a splash of pomegranate, can't wait!
Old 10-29-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Lola,
I'm home now as well and I'm having my seltzer/cranberry...getting ready to carve the Pumpkin, with the kids. Should keep me busy long enough
Old 10-29-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry I'm a bit late to this Magellan

I'm weak and embarrassed that my willpower and discipline that had been getting stronger is practically nonexistent after 3:00p - I'm a big talker in the am, "not going to have any tonight" but then it just goes away. I read many of the threads and am disgusted with myself that there are so many strong people with circumstances that are truly difficult and I have it EASY, I should be able to just not drink.
Willpower never worked for me - cos part of my will still wanted to drink.

Acceptance worked a lot better. Acceptance that I do have a problem and it's not going to get better....acceptance that even one drink keeps the addictive cycle going and growing...acceptance that I will lose everything dear to me if I continue to drink...

and acceptance that I can be the man I want to be, or drink - but not both.

D
Old 10-29-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Dee, Aloneatlast posted..."you are an addict" and I thought... yes I am and that hit home. I need to accept that and work to move beyond it. I see how easy it is to slip up and have that drink that is just waiting for me and then how hard it is to go back to sobriety. I will stay sober tonight, thanks to everyone's help, and will now work on tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Okay, onto day#2. My kids usually have gymnastics after school so when I get home, no one is around, av is yelling just relax have a glass and enjoy the silence, so I scheduled a platelet donation, usually takes about 3 hrs, so I'll get home in time to play a card game and read stories, all well past the the usual craving time, tomorrow is Halloween so I'm booked with good healthy activities and hopefully that builds enough momentum into the weekend.