Notices

Talk of Christmas party at work.......

Old 10-29-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I do not attend my work Xmas party even though I am a manager. It has nothing to do with drinking but for other issues. I have advised my office for the last three years that I am not going due to personal commitments, and leave it at that.

You ARE NOT obligated to be put into situations that make you feel uncomfortable. One thing I did do was arrange to have a Christmas luncheon here in our office on our lunch. Sort of a pot luck and a corny game. Fun times.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Make sure to eat a healthy meal that fills you up.
Carry a soft drink etc. in your hand at all times. People really don't notice so much what we are drinking as they do we aren't drinking.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Buggirl, first and foremost... I wouldn't go if it is going to make you uncomfortable. Anything that you come up with can be attributed to a "prior commitment".

If you have to go; which I understand due to having Xmas parties in the past that I had to attend; then I agree with getting there early and fill your cup with something NA. I doubt anyone will notice what you are drinking. Like Captainamazing said, they tend to notice when we aren't drinking anything.

I just went through a similar situation where we were out after hours and 90% of the people in our group were drinking. In the old days I would have joined in and probably been the last one standing. This time, I got there early and ordered a Diet Coke in a glass. I went to the bar and asked the waitress to just refill my glass with Diet Coke when it ran low and not bother asking me if I wanted a refill. Worked like a charm, no one asked what I was drinking or cared for that matter.

If confronted, I had a plan to tell them I was working on improving my health / life and simply wasn't drinking until I reached my goal.

Have a plan and stick to it if you have to go. You will do great!
Old 10-29-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I went to last years Xmas night out at work but didn't stay too long, had a few cranberry juices and as people started to get more and more drunk I left early and headed home.

I think we feel that this is a major event in the year, but the reality is no one will probably remember almost 1 year on that I was only there for a few hours and that I didn't drink, the years roll on and these events are forgotten very quickly.

This year around I'm thinking of giving it a miss, driving to and from, putting up with work colleagues that eventually couldn't hold a conversation, wasn't really that much fun in hindsight!!
Old 10-29-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the advice guys!
Old 10-29-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I recently attended our traditional neighborhood Halloween party. In the past I was usually the last one to leave around four in the morning completely and thoroughly wasted. This year I made a guest appearance. Had some food and good conversation and quietly slipped away before the adults got too drunk. I agonized over going for days. You should have heard the conflict in my head. In the end I finally decided that I can't shut myself out of life's events forever.