Notices

How did you get through the first 30 days?

Old 10-26-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post
Everybody's different but "one day at a time" has worked wonders for me. I couldn't stand the idea of never drinking again, or even not drinking for a whole month. But I could stand the idea of not drinking just today. So that's what I do, every day. If thinking too far ahead is causing you problems, I'd recommend giving it a shot.
ODAAT is my best ally at helping me stay sober.

Another one, when I was tempted to drink when I was alone and thought "nobody will know" it was like I was calling myself nobody. Ultimately I'm the only one that counts.

I also went to meetings almost every day.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Plain and simple you have to stay extremely committed no excuses, keep your self busy and understand that there will be times that are really tough. But it will get better
Old 10-26-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome To add to what others have wrote, I made a list of all of the reasons I needed / wanted to quit drinking. Any time I had the urge, I read the list.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When I first got sober I didn't know ow what to do...but I did know that no matter what drinking was not an option anymore. Music got me by. Today I am around 14-15 months sober and abuse the music apps on my phone 9th a daily basis. I also had a huge sweet tooth. When I'd be at home I would get my favorite drink (non alcoholic) and snack and lay in bed and watch my favorite t.v. shows. Like someone else mentioned I also would go for walks...started caring for my body better by exercising and eating healthy. I didn't go to AA very much in early sobriety but I'm sure you could benefit from it. I love the 12 steps and I think it will help you have a better more enjoyable life. Hang in there, it DOES get easier. Whatever you do...don't drink. It is no longer an option...One will lead to many. Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

In the beginning of my sobriety I was white knuckling it until I found you fine folks here at SR. I also slept a lot during the first couple months but then started walking. At 18 months, I attended my first AA meeting so I could get my 18 month chip. My plan was to get my chip and just walk away.... but everyone was SO nice to me that I kept coming back. Now I am the secretary of our weekly Men's meeting and go to 1 meeting everyday, usually at 8pm.

At this point, I have 27 months w/o a drink and 22 months w/o pot. I try to live my life just doing the next right thing and that works for me.

Music is also a huge part of my recover and life. I attend a lot of concerts and like to watch concert DVDs on a regular basis.

Good Luck!
Old 10-26-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome!

I kept busy the first 30 days. I cleaned, read, left the house a lot. Anything to break up the behavior. It was not easy but I got through it and you can too!

post_timestamp
Old 10-26-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

During my first 30 days I spent a lot of time on the couch with my laptop on this site. I ate a lot of junk food, including candy, chips, nachos, milkshakes, M&Ms. I had to simplify my life to just going to work coming home and lying on the couch. That was all I could handle.

I had to make my one and only goal for each day to not drink.

I probably spent between three and four hours a day reading posts on here. When I went to bed I would take my iPad and continue reading until I fell asleep. The insomnia didn't bother me so much because lack of sleep feels much much much much better than a hangover so I kept reminding myself of that.

You have to really want to quit as well and it sounds like you do. There has never been a truer statement about quitting smoking or drinking or any other drug then you cannot quit until you want to. Quitting was actually pretty easy this time because I actually wanted to. This was a revelation to me because I never wanted to quit before and when I did I only wanted to quit for a week or two.

Once you truly, with your heart soul and mind, want to stop you can. I actually did not know if I would ever stop. I tend to be very impulsive and live in the moment. When I say live in the moment I mean that in a bad way. I'm the type who will say I want to stop eating meat and then order a hamburger the next day for lunch. I didn't know if I could ever actually stop drinking. I am now 4 months sober.

So for your first 30 days my number one recommendation is to check in here every single day. We spent a lot of time drinking so we need to spend an equal amount of time changing our habits and not drinking.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I can't add a whole lot to such fantastic advice already.

SR has been a Godsend for me.

Aside from that, I too attend a few meetings of AA.

All the best with your sobriety journey
Old 10-26-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I found I got through my first 30 days by not drinking.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:30 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Strategery ! I'm sober 16 days now, so a newbie myself, but
changing my routines has been a big one, because I am not associating anything I do with drink, as it's all new, and constantly reading and posting on here.

Many people on here have said that we need to do whatever it takes to protect our sobriety at all costs.

I'm feeling good, cravings are not strong, the first few days were the hardest.

There's something called the AV(alcoholic voice ) which will try and persuade you with all kinds of "logical" arguments that it's ok to drink , and you must find ways to deal with that when it comes.

Glad you found us.