Notices

How did you get through the first 30 days?

Old 10-26-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did you get through the first 30 days?

I'm new here and have decided to give up drinking. I've been drinking since I was 23 and am now in my late 30's. I've been able to relate to many of your stories. I haven't lost my marriage or job, but I think I may be pushing the limit on the former. I also know the way I'm going is not good for my health.
I attempted to get sober in the middle of the month and was successful for 6 days. Then I thought I could handle a beer or two. This worked okay for the first few days. Last night, I got drunk as a skunk and have come to the conclusion I need to give it up entirely.
I was wondering what you did to get through the first 30 days.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I checked into a 20 day IOP program so it was very structured for me that first month. After getting home everyday from the group, I spent most of the rest of the day in sober chat, on recovery sites, reading recovery books, reading SR and posting on SR. I let myself eat ice-cream and drink as much coffee as I wanted.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

Acceptance that a period of Sobriety didn't in some way cure or fix me was a turning point for me, whether it was weeks or months, I needed to accept I have no control over alcohol, that 1st drink will always lead back to the same place.

Having support was the next thing I needed, alone with my own thoughts was only going to end one way, back to drinking after that 5th or 6th day, instead I needed something outside of myself to short circuit my own thought processes!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! Great to have you here!!
Old 10-26-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, first of all congrats on day 1. Second, I can't give advice on the first 30 days as I am only on day 3 - but I can say thus far my time spent here on SR has helped immensely. Having a plan and sticking to it and asking for advice when I can't figure things out on my own is also working for me. Tomorrow is day 2 - you can do it! ( Way to go on the 6 days too)

Last edited by dcrr; 10-26-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: left out a detail
Old 10-26-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I recently had an epiphinay due to something I read here. Sorry I can't give credit where credit is due:

It's nothing to do with will-power; will-power won't get you quit.
Realising that drinking simply is not an option in the first place is true acceptance.

It took me a long time to be ready to hear that.

Congratulations on six days. You've proved you can do it; now just keep going.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everybody's different but "one day at a time" has worked wonders for me. I couldn't stand the idea of never drinking again, or even not drinking for a whole month. But I could stand the idea of not drinking just today. So that's what I do, every day. If thinking too far ahead is causing you problems, I'd recommend giving it a shot.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Support is very helpful in early recovery. Whether it be a spouse or friend or a group like AA or Smart Recovery.

In my early days I went to a counselor, walked the dogs a lot, and stayed busy. It gets easier the longer you're sober. I was constantly here on SR. I love that it's here any time of day or night. Lots of support here.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, you've found a great tool here on SR....so that's a good first step.

When are your most vulnerable times...both during the work week and also weekends?
Old 10-26-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I found that changing my routines helped me. I would normally begin drinking in the early evening, so I pushed myself to get out of the house. I walked a lot. It helped me to get through the first few weeks.

Look at the times/places you normally drink and figure out a way to be doing something else at that time or to avoid the place.

We do understand how hard this is.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

I"m doing an outpatient treatment program 3 times a week, 3 hours each time for 12 weeks, I have yet to hit an AA meeting but I'm 10 days sober and smoke free and for me its actually been really easy, way easier than I thought. I haven't had a craving yet. I also do the one day at a time though too and I journal a lot.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! The worst time for me was after work so as soon as I got home I threw on some jeans and went for a bit of a hike. I also splurged on Perrier and pomegranate juice.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi strategery

me? day by day and a lot of posting and reading here

I'm glad you found us

D
Old 10-26-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

My strategy was/is AA. There are many options, but the fellowship face to face of others who are successful was critical for me.

I looked for similarities in people and not differences. Great program IMHO.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fromadistance View Post
Welcome, you've found a great tool here on SR....so that's a good first step.

When are your most vulnerable times...both during the work week and also weekends?
Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, both weekdays and weekends are problematic for me. Tuesdays and Thursdays are generally bad days for me since they are long days for me. Fridays and Saturdays are also trigger days. This last time, the drinking started on Thursday with 2 beers. Then I had 2 beers Friday. Yesterday, it started off with a couple of beers and then evolved into 6 beers that were high alcohol (~8.5%), although I was told I was going for another. :/
Old 10-26-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I got sober in a rehab facility which was a very intense few months but when I got out I found aa really helps, even if you sceptical at first try it,youll see the great support it offers
Old 10-26-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making the decision to quit drinking. It's one of the best things I've ever done.

For the first month I posted and read on SR every day and went to AA meetings. When cravings struck, I played the tape through to the end, to the bad consequences of excessive drinking. I also gave myself a break for not accomplishing more the bare minimum of responsibilities.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your support!! It really means a lot! I just feel nervous about this entire process. I will try some of your suggestions. I am going to see about getting myself out of the house on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Friday and Saturday nights too if I am struggling.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Strategery, one thing I've had to do if at all possible is leave my wallet at home when getting myself out. I know it's not always possible, but it helps keep little drinking voice quiet when no resources to buy. Before leaving work I drink a big protein shake to fill my belly, hunger makes me want to drink and I generally stopped for a six pack on my drive home. Stay close to SR and let us know how you're doing this week. Congratulations on this first big step!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strategery View Post
I was wondering what you did to get through the first 30 days.
Well I'm through 24 days. But here it is.

Just focus on not drinking today. And today only.

To that end I've used SR, AA, reading...good diet...doctor appts...medication.

But the idea is crystal in my mind. Just focus on today.

Day 24 is no different than when I started Day 1. Just not drinking today.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I went to AA one night a week because I knew that for that one hour I'd be someplace where there wasn't any alcohol. After about 6 months, the reason I went became because I wanted to work on my recovery.