Notices

Checking in

Old 10-21-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in

Hey guys. 43 days not smoking and 23 days not drinking! What a ride I have been on. I was just going to ask you guys with some time when the cloudiness lifts but when I think about three weeks ago, I realize it slowly is. I can't expect a miracle. Before booze it was club drugs and hallucenagennnnnn...however you spell it. It doesn't matter anyway, lol. The fact is I burnt up a lot of pathways in my brain and hopefully some of them will heal.
I have finally accepted an AA group and although I can only get there 3 times a week, that's 3 times more than I was doing a month ago. I am going to order this big book I hear about. I have been slacking in my prayers to the great spirit...I'll work on that. I hit the surrender and desperation I needed just last week to get my butt to a meeting.
So far so good. The things I don't like lately, maybe you can shed some light on them.
Increased headaches
Decreased motivation
Increased desire to sleep...I could sleep longer than 12 hours if you let me
Itchiness
That's all I have to whine about. I've lost my motivation and I need it right now. How do I get that back? I'm taking vitamins and all. I'm just lazy. I would rather sit on this phone all day then do the stuff I need to do. Should I start taking a walk a day or something or do I need to just rest?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The good news is, compared to the years we spent abusing our minds and bodies, recovery is a far quicker process

stick with it countrygirl

D
Old 10-21-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee. I'm sticking with it. It's much easier this way.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Whine .... i didnt hear you whine

Miracle .... Look in the mirror countrygirl for you are the miracle

i loved your post Fantastic !
Old 10-21-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Deaf to AV

Good job, cg2014! Your #s keep rising, you're doing the right thing. Things are bound to improve to the point where a walk will feel great.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Really well done Countrygirl, you're doing brilliantly. As for motivation - I'm only on Day 12, so can't advise especially well, but I really do think it's a good idea not to push yourself too early. If you're having some lazy days, so what - don't beat yourself up, don't allow any self-punishing voice in. Recovery takes effort and effort makes us tired. Yesterday I spent the entire morning in bed, and started to feel really guilty about it, until I realised, you know what, I used to spend lots of mornings in bed because of skull-splitting hangovers, unable to eat or interact. Recovery lie-ins and sobriety laziness beats that nonsense hands down. You'll know yourself when you get bored and feel like doing more.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good work, Countrygirl, you're doing great!

I can't emphasize the importance of walking in my recovery. I started walking at the very beginning, simply because I had to get out of the house right after supper or I would start drinking. I didn't expect so many benefits though. I started to feel better physically, of course. I reconnected with my neighborhood just by paying more attention to what was going on around me. It would always give me time to think and clear my head. And, often my husband would come with me and it was a time we could really talk without interruption.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Walking is good all round
Old 10-21-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Hey CountryGirl2014. Welcome to SR. Good hearing about your recovery. Emphasis on "your." It seems everyone's recovery is different. Some a little different, others vastly different, although with some common denominators. For example, I'm struggling with sleep. Cloudiness for me started at about 6 weeks and is now (90+ days) subsiding.

My suggestion for surviving recovery is to do the opposite of what you did while drinking, meaning establishing a good routine. My routine is 1) drink lots of water, 2) walk the dogs, 3) bicycle to work, 4) eat well, 5) see my doc, 6) keep busy with domestic chores, 7) enjoy sobriety.

Welcome to the good life.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats Countrygirl !
Old 10-21-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love all of these posts. Thanks guys. I'll start with eating better this week. I have always been one to eat what we get. Farm country, we have a huge freezer in the basement with pork (from a pig that once had a name), fish (that was all caught by us in canada), deer that my sig other hunted, and vegetables from our community. I'm a big living off the grid type but the minute I quit everything I went to an actual grocery store (45 minutes away) and bought ten tons of junk food. Even soda. Blech. I kinda don't want it anymore but I'll bet that's why I have been so lazy. My body doesn't like preservatives. It was a fun 21 days, it all tasted ok. But I'm over it. Anyone need Pepsi and hamburger helper? Lol
Old 10-21-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Great job on 43 smoke free & 23 days of sobriety CG. Definitely think walking is a good thing for us & eating healthy. I think it is normal to lack motivation early on...maybe try & do small to do lists?? Have a good day!
Old 10-21-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fantastic stuff Countrygirl!!
Old 10-21-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

I love pepsi and hamburgers

yes pls lol
Old 10-21-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think we are twins, countrygirl2014! I have also been in a haze, and the more I think about it I am pretty sure it is due to all the extra refined sugars I have been consuming. I had great intentions on this week eating cleaner - but felt like a truck hit me and all I wanted to do was sleep...and eat comfort foods. All I know is neither you or I have had a drink, and that's what is awesome! The rest has to take of itself - I bet we start feeling better soon
Old 10-21-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am at the zits and dry hair phase. I haven't had zits since middle school !!! All normal part of the healing process. I do eat a lot better and I am losing a lot of weight. I find that I have to reinvent myself and try and occupy the time I would just sit around and get drunk every night. I started reading fiction novels. My wife says I over read because I am tearing through these books at a record pace. I am also buying a new bike - I used to love riding my bike and going for family bike rides. We have a pig (not dead and frozen) her name is kisses. Your doing fantastic - keep it up.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Way to go Countrygirl
Old 10-21-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good for you!!!! Great update!
Old 10-21-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on giving up the smokes and the booze.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey countrygirl2014, nice job! You should be very proud of what you've accomplished. Attacking two of those at once- nice!

The things I don't like lately, maybe you can shed some light on them.
Increased headaches
Decreased motivation
Increased desire to sleep...I could sleep longer than 12 hours if you let me
Itchiness

Just a guess (and if it's already been addressed, then I missed it) but I'd think it's your body adjusting. I know when I quit smoking years ago, I went through hell. I also had big changes for a while when I quit drinking as well.
From my experience, it does take a bit of time to work through the changes, so hang in there.