Notices

Checking in

Old 10-21-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
Hey guys. 43 days not smoking and 23 days not drinking! What a ride I have been on. I was just going to ask you guys with some time when the cloudiness lifts but when I think about three weeks ago, I realize it slowly is. I can't expect a miracle. Before booze it was club drugs and hallucenagennnnnn...however you spell it. It doesn't matter anyway, lol. The fact is I burnt up a lot of pathways in my brain and hopefully some of them will heal.
I have finally accepted an AA group and although I can only get there 3 times a week, that's 3 times more than I was doing a month ago. I am going to order this big book I hear about. I have been slacking in my prayers to the great spirit...I'll work on that. I hit the surrender and desperation I needed just last week to get my butt to a meeting.
So far so good. The things I don't like lately, maybe you can shed some light on them.
Increased headaches
Decreased motivation
Increased desire to sleep...I could sleep longer than 12 hours if you let me
Itchiness
That's all I have to whine about. I've lost my motivation and I need it right now. How do I get that back? I'm taking vitamins and all. I'm just lazy. I would rather sit on this phone all day then do the stuff I need to do. Should I start taking a walk a day or something or do I need to just rest?
Well done you! I only get to go to one AA a week! I too could sleep hours if I didn't have to be up at crack of Dawn for work! I have headaches and get sick feeling from time to time too! Think it's just our bodies adjusting?
Old 10-21-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I about faint with admiration for people who quit smoking AND drinking at the same time. Seriously. Well, I finally quit smoking in April 2012, but can't imagine doing both at once.

I'm only on day five this time but I'm definitely getting headaches and a significant case of the blahs. Also fine tremors and nausea. Overall though, my motivation has increased but I am not forcing myself to do stuff (I'm normally a very Type-A person) and I'm trying my best to be gentle and forgiving with me. I've spent most of the last year drinking aggressively and it's going to take time to get back to some sort of normal.

I did just come back from about an hour walk with the dogs along the lake. Weather is nasty, but you know what? It felt great, actually. I've also been deep-cleaning and organizing and winterizing my house, but in really small, baby steps.

countrygirl, I think you're doing great.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You bit off a lot and you're succeeding. I feel the lowered motivation a bit too - but if I really think about it - I'm sure I am accomplishing just as much if not more than when I drink. This time of year often brings about changes in my sleep as well. When it gets dark early, I think our circadian rhythms take time to readjust. Anyway - you're motivated to stay sober and away from nicotine...that's some serious motivation in itself!
Old 10-21-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Great work on 23 days CG

Essentially it boils down to ..... learning to talk the talk ... ie: getting a good solid support base around you, people who have been sober for long periods & listen to their experiences. Both on SR & at AA.

Once you've listened and can decipher what it all this new talk means to you

Its important to gravitate towards those whose "talk" you like too. If you don't like the "talk" .... leave it alone.

Then start learning to walk the walk ie: living in the world outside of SR & AA.

Where the "rubber meets the road" so to speak.

Its like starting life all over again.

Little kids will always pop out a few words before they figure out how to walk. I know, I got 4 of them.

And so it is with us newly sober folk ... words before walk.

Just relax & let it happen.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You guys are great. And I didn't think about the shorter days of winter approaching .
Old 10-21-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey countrygirl - you're doing great! I have nights where I def sleep 12 hours...and I was notorious for never sleeping much when I was drinking. So I take that as a positive!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Maybe be it's all the years of crummy sleep we got. We have catching up to do