Notices

Pet Abuse

Old 10-20-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

And honestly, CountryGirl, could the breeder, if I found out who it is, just come in and take the dog back? I would doubt that, because the dog is bought and paid for and the owner thinks his treatment of the dog is "just fine" and doesn't want to give him up.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So anyhow, thanks everyone.

To be honest, I have two sides pulling against me here. The alcoholic side wants to get drunk and pay the neighbor a visit and just rip him a new *******. Which I still in all honesty, haven't decided whether I will or not.

The other side says that won't help, why jeopardize my sobriety and just take him to the Humane Society in the other county, if he is running at large again. I hate to see what type of "new collar" the other neighbor got for the dog, because I am afraid it's one of those metal pinch collars they put on dogs that are "out of control." (And that he would never be able to break).

The nice thing about the Humane Society option, is that even though I know the neighbor will probably come over and ask me where the dog is, that being an alcoholic, I have become a better liar and can probably look him in the face and lie right too him. Ha!

Quite frankly, if there WAS a Humane Society here that I could call, half the dogs would be gone from this tiny town. I have a neighbor across the street who has gone through three dogs in two years because they are "trained to stay in the yard" and keep getting hit by cars on the highway. His solution? Just get a new dog every time.

Another neighbor has a dog that is also chained up all the time, but gets loose once in a while and it needs to gain at least 10 pounds. Its ribs are sticking out because it is so thin. Supposedly, these neighbors are "religious." I wonder what religion calls for starving your dog to death?

The problem is, like I have dubbed the town, "Hicksville," is that all these people think it is just fine to buy new dogs when they get hit by cars, neglect them, starve them. That is "normal" for these people. I don't know if they are just plain stupid or ignorant.

Best I could do was save one of the starving cats (there are a TON of them here also). At least I saved her.

Anyhow, thanks for all the replies.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

How awful for the dog. By any slim chance are you in a rural area of eastern washington state? I'll go rescue the dog myself.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

If ur saying he Is just a drinking friend, well im sry I know it would be easier for me to say to report him but actually it is. poor dog, me reading what u wrote would make me do something about it. U being in a different country I have no control, which I guess is what ur feeling due to u saying hes a friend and don't know what to do. At the mo im dealing with 2 cats and a friend and no, I told this person that she needs to get things sorted out as im not sitting here letting it happen.

sry if I sound angry, I guess I am and frustrated in how people can be and ofcause I have no control over anyone, just myself and what I can do.

Originally Posted by Cecilia44 View Post
I don't know how to handle this situation, so please help me. The other day, my neighbor (fellow alkie), asked me to watch his dog over the weekend. Well, actually, I was supposed to be the "back-up" for the other neighbor whose main responsibility was to watch the dog. But this neighbor is an old guy who doesn't get around very well, so truthfully I think it was really my responsibility (which is why the neighbor with the dog asked me in the first place).

Anyhow, the neighbor was to be gone for three days and asked me to just come over and feed and water the dog who he wanted left outside all day and night because he claimed the dog had diarrhea and didn't want him in the house. If I DID let him in the house, he is quarantined to the kitchen (very small kitchen, I might add and this dog is a big lab who is six months old).

I did try to come over and take care of the dog. I bought him a dog bone, treats and a toy because my neighbor never buys him anything either other than dog food. My little dog (miniature poodle), doesn't like this big dog jumping all over her, but I had no choice but to take her along because she goes with me everywhere. Come to find out, the neighbor's lab had broken his collar so he was running around loose all over the neighborhood. So I took him home because I didn't know what to do and I didn't feel like it was nice to just stick him in the tiny kitchen.

The dog poops in my house, gave my dog fleas, has a ton of energy (because he never gets played with) until finally I did what I didn't want to do, and took him back to the neighbor's house and stuck him in the tiny kitchen. Meanwhile, I called the neighbor guy, told him I "couldn't do this" and I think he found someone else to get him a new collar and once again stick him outside by himself (chained up, of course).

Here is my problem (and I am sorry this is so long): The dog in my opinion is being neglected. He is a six month old black lab who is AKC registered and microchipped (but the owner has failed to register the microchip too). Is chained out all day (the owner takes him in only at night and then keeps him quarantined in the kitchen then too). When on vacation (like mentioned above), he wanted him left out all day AND all night. The dog was supposed to sleep in a plastic wood tub with NO blankets, no pillows, nothing and it gets down to 40 degrees here at night. He is/was chained out in the dark all by himself, three days and nights on end (except when I came over and tried to make it better and couldn't handle it).

The dog is not house trained. He has not had any of his shots. Is left on the chain all day long by the owner. Has no real dog house. Has fleas. Does not get taken on walks, doesn't even get taken to the river (the neighbor likes to fish), because he is too much of a "hassle." Rarely gets attention because the neighbor is always busy when he IS home running around on dates, drinking, you name it. Hits the dog to get him to "behave."

I told him on the phone the other night he should get rid of the dog and of course people don't want you to tell them what to do, so shrug, what more could I say? The neighbor thinks his treatment of the dog is fine.

I am well aware I cannot control people, but I feel angry that it is the dog who suffers. (You read about this stuff on the Humane Society Web site, that if you don't speak up, who will). I don't know how to handle the situation except just ignore it (like I did when he went on vacation and couldn't handle it anymore), yet that makes me feel bad.

There is no one here to call because I live in "Hicksville," a very small town and there is no Humane Society here. This neighbor is supposedly a "friend" (drinking buddy is more like it), but I know he will get mad if I say something because he doesn't like to get bossed around. (Also, I share garbage services with him and then I probably won't be allowed to do that anymore if I really **** him off and this service is free to me and I don't have a lot of money. And besides that, this town being only 128 people, he does run me to the car repair place once in a while when I ask and I do need his help for things here because this town is so small there is barely anyone to ask).

I feel like drinking over it, getting angry and calling him, but that won't help. I do not feel brave enough to approach this situation sober and really don't know if there is a nice way to tell someone they are abusing their pet. Especially if this person is a friend. Please advise.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Do your best

Ceceila do not do anything hasty if it will affect your sobriety

i would if i was you do this

Stay sober at any cost

Ring the nearest (even if its far away) dog services who can either rehome this dog or offer the dog better living conditions

what i meant by jabs is shots as you have said

dont let this derail you

big hugs
Old 10-20-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Quite frankly, if there WAS a Humane Society here that I could call, half the dogs would be gone from this tiny town. I have a neighbor across the street who has gone through three dogs in two years because they are "trained to stay in the yard" and keep getting hit by cars on the highway. His solution? Just get a new dog every time.

Another neighbor has a dog that is also chained up all the time, but gets loose once in a while and it needs to gain at least 10 pounds. Its ribs are sticking out because it is so thin. Supposedly, these neighbors are "religious." I wonder what religion calls for starving your dog to death?

The problem is, like I have dubbed the town, "Hicksville," is that all these people think it is just fine to buy new dogs when they get hit by cars, neglect them, starve them. That is "normal" for these people. I don't know if they are just plain stupid or ignorant.

Best I could do was save one of the starving cats (there are a TON of them here also). At least I saved her.

Oh and finally, I forgot to mention the dog that is in a six by three foot cage that also just gets food and water everyday because the owner doesn't believe in having pets in the house. It is a RAT TERRIER. It has lived in this small kennel for years and NEVER gets any socialization or human contact except the food and water once a day. It even has another fence in front of it so I can't even take my dog over to have her sniff the dog through its cage. It is out there 24/7, even in the dead of winter and constantly alone. It paces back and forth, back and forth, in its cage all day long.

So you see, my neighbor guy is just the tip of the iceberg here in this little town, which I guess is why I told him I can't "handle it" when he wanted me to take care of the dog, "his way." He actually takes care of his dog better than the others I have mentioned above, if that says very much. Good grief!

I can't save all these poor dogs here by myself and it makes me so angry if I think about it too hard.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, change what I can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

It is the reason I just feel like walking away from all of it.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cecilia44 View Post
And honestly, CountryGirl, could the breeder, if I found out who it is, just come in and take the dog back? I would doubt that, because the dog is bought and paid for and the owner thinks his treatment of the dog is "just fine" and doesn't want to give him up.
Probably not, but a lot of them touch base with the new owners down the line and make sure they are happy with the dog. I forgot the dog isn't registered. If she can't directly help he/she might be able to give you some pointers.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't bear to read this thread any longer, but I hope you do the right thing.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please do whatever you can to help that poor dog.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I know, it's frustrating to hear stories like this.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Please don't drink over this, but PLEASE do whatever necessary to help that poor dog. He needs you to stand up for him. He has no other resources.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Last time I took my dog fishing he ate 3 of the fish I caught! That was supposed to be MY dinner!

Can you look up what constitutes dog abuse in your area? I hate that people leave their dogs outside all the time etc, because the dog is just dying to spend some time with the owner. But sometimes unless whatever you notice falls under laws of animal abuse etc, there isnt much you can do. And if the dog is taken away from the owner, how long do they give the dog for adoption before it is finally put down? Tough decision.