Notices

Accused of DUI for red light run

Old 10-17-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yayyyy Bookmaven! Something about this post just made my night. How satisfying that must have been to know that you would blow a 0.0000. Doesn't it feel good to have nothing to hide? Sorry about the cop's demeanor though. I lived in in a small town where you had to prove that you weren't smuggling drugs when you got pulled over for a taillight not working rather than the other way around. It sure was annoying but I did feel good to prove them wrong every time. You got your little f you to him by being stone cold sober.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think you handled it well. Turn on your smart phone voice recorder next time. The big thing is if arrested, do not make false statements, do not resist, and stay silent.

Stop the car in a safe place as quickly as possible. Turn off the car, turn on the internal light, open the window part way and place your hands on the wheel.
Upon request, show police your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance.
If an officer or immigration agent asks to look inside your car, you can refuse to consent to the search. But if police believe your car contains evidence of a crime, your car can be searched without your consent.
Both drivers and passengers have the right to remain silent. If you are a passenger, you can ask if you are free to leave. If the officer says yes, sit silently or calmly leave. Even if the officer says no, you have the right to remain silent.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not trying to be discourteous to the op...
But c'mon guys - when I run a red light I expect to get pulled up.

I used to be all about the 'fascist police force' too... but now I see they're just doing their job.

D
Old 10-17-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Yayyyy Bookmaven! Something about this post just made my night. How satisfying that must have been to know that you would blow a 0.0000. Doesn't it feel good to have nothing to hide? Sorry about the cop's demeanor though. I lived in in a small town where you had to prove that you weren't smuggling drugs when you got pulled over for a taillight not working rather than the other way around. It sure was annoying but I did feel good to prove them wrong every time. You got your little f you to him by being stone cold sober.
Hijacking my own thread to say I just love your avatar. I just finished reading a book called Elephant Company. Elephants are fascinating, magnificent creatures.

Ok back to the topic of this thread...

Add to the incident the unresolved emotions I have surrounding my boyfriend's arrest and incarceration for DUI, I was the passenger. That was when I got sober for good - March 31st 2014. I miss him terribly and am struggling to pay the rent and keep it all together while he's inside. I'm sad one minute, angry the next, glad to have my freedom but mournful that he is not with me, hopeful that the "program" he is in for drug and alcohol abuse while in prison will give him a framework with which he might have a chance at sobriety, fearful that his addictions will lure him back in when he gets out. It will be time for some tough love on my part, because I have to protect my sobriety first, no matter what. If he chooses to drink and use again he will go back to prison, and that one will have barbed wire fences around it. I will not be visiting him there. I will move on.

I really wanted to talk to him today, to tell him what had happened, hear his voice, be thankful together for the possibilities of a sober life together. He didn't call. That's how prison works. This afternoon I was feeling pretty sad already when "our" song came on the radio, the one he always plays for me when he wants to say he's sorry, to say he loves me, to say he is there for me. I started bawling. Seeing as to how I was driving at the time in the same city as last night I pulled over, parked, listened to the song and cried. I have not heard that song since his arrest.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not trying to be discourteous to the op... But c'mon guys - when I run a red light I expect to get pulled up. I used to be all about the 'fascist police force' too... but now I see they're just doing their job. D
I completely agree. I admitted I ran the red light. I was expecting to get a ticket. I wasn't expecting to be called a liar and treated like a dangerous criminal.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank goodness you were sober and congratulations on 26 weeks that's huge!!!!!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The small talk went like this. He said he was going to arrest me. I said "I have not had anything to drink. I've been sober for 6 months." Then he flings a whole bunch of questions at me in rapid succession. "are you in AA? What meetings do you go to? What time are they at? Where are they? Do you go to the Alano club? " I was thinking, why? Are you looking for one? Do you have a desire to stop drinking? Cause I have a when n where booklet in the car. I can circle the ones I go to if you'd like. I didn't say that though. Then he asks me "do you have a sponsor? What is your sponsor's name?" I looked at him. I crinkled my nose up at him. It was all I could do not to say it's anonymous *******! I said very slowly and carefully and loudly, like I would talk to a child that was misbehaving, "My Sponsors Name is (insert name here)." He gets out his little book and writes that down. The BAC machine shows up. Ya'll know the rest.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Sounds like an attitude that needs adjusting. I'd be writing all this down to send to the Chief of Police and the local paper. Yeah, you ran a red light. He tried to run over you.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This reminds me of what happened to my daughter a few weeks ago. She is 17 and was a passenger in her friends car. (Neither she or her friends drink, use drugs etc..they are the nerdy bookworms, straight A students...) her friend was driiving her home at about 8:30 pm and got pulled over. The cop took their ******** etc...and then grilled them for a half an hour. Where are you coming from, where are you going, do you have drugs in the car, have you been drinking, do you have any weapons....the probable cause for this interrogation-the light over the license plate was blown out. No moving violations. Just a burnt out light bulb. She got a warning for the lightbulb but I think that was a bit much. Not cop bashing but some just need to reign it in a bit.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Don't know whats with the stars in my post. Where they are it should say ********.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Ok lets try this id's
Old 10-18-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's an automatic censor/filter here. Whatever word you're using is on that filter...
It may be a perfectly harmless word but we've had trouble with spam lately and a few key words have been 'starred' to try and combat that.

D
Old 10-18-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thankful for 201 days of recovery