Notices

Accused of DUI for red light run

Old 10-17-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accused of DUI for red light run

I don't know why I was tuning my radio and eating a sandwich and not paying attention. I admit to running a red light. Got pulled over and accused of lying when I answered "nothing" to "how much have you had to drink tonight?" Then he took my drivers license and went back to his car and waited for back up. THREE more cop cars showed up! Then I had to do a field sobriety test surrounded by 4 police officers. Even though I have been sober for 26 weeks I was so scared I was shaking, which didn't help my situation! It seemed like the "follow the tip of my finger while I shine this flashlight in your eyes test" went on much longer than necessary (you can't fake eye tracking, wtf was he trying to do?) and then he accused me of lying again, "your eye tracking test was inconclusive. I'll give you one chance to come clean and admit you were drinking. You now have to submit to the BAC breath test. If I find out you lied to me and your test comes back over point - blah blah blah blah blah blah - I will arrest you." By that time I stopped shaking. I imagined myself saying "F you! You could have saved us all a whole bunch of time and done that in the first place A-hole!" I just answered his small talk questions politely while we stood there waiting for a different cop to bring the breathalyzer over. More blah bah blah your lying blah blah blah. I blew as hard as I could, and couldn't help but smirk when .000 showed. Ended up with a red light violation ticket, 3 points and $100 fine. He said "ma'am, pay attention to your driving from now on".

I knew I wasn't going to get arrested, but going through that even while sober was more than enough to make me thankful that I'm recovering. 7 months ago I would have at least spent the weekend in jail and it would have cost me thousands of dollars. NO THANK YOU!

I'm allergic to alcohol - I breakout in handcuffs. (Robert Downey Jr.)
Old 10-17-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

BAC - 0.0000 - beautiful, bookmaven.

Sorry about your red-light experience. Sometimes I find myself saying "Jeez, I can't believe I just did that; I have to pay more attention!!!!!". So many of us are distracted while driving these days - scary.

Thanks for the reminder that we all need to stay focused.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you didn't get a DUI bookmaven.
Please do take care tho - even sober drivers can have accidents

D
Old 10-17-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

BookMaven, sorry you had such a rotten experience. That stinks. But you were sober and that's something to be grateful for.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, no more drive thru fast food. Only go inside fast food. lol

No drinking and driving - check
No texting and driving - check
No eating and driving - not illegal but still very dangerous.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you are ok, and no accidents. But that was quite harrassing. I would freak out too!

I never drive while intoxicated, have only ever, since my early 20's, if I have had 1, maybe 2 drinks over several hours and food, and even that rarely. However, my balance has never been awesome, even as a child. I think I could fail a field sobriety test while sober!

A good reminder that we all can be more careful.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Bookmaven... that is horrible! I have to admit I have been distracted and did the same thing... but those cops were over the top... out of line in my opinion. But I am SOOOOOO HAPPY that you were sober. That is so awesome. And good job holding your tongue!
Old 10-17-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I look back and think

about how lucky I was no have never gotten caught. I would be driving down the street pouring myself a drink.

It's funny, I would never eat behind the wheel, talk on the phone, or text--but I never gave too much thought to opening up a bottle.

Won't do that again.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cool

"...I'm allergic to alcohol - I breakout in handcuffs. (Robert Downey Jr.)..."

I know folks seem to attribute this 'line' to him, but many of my recovered friends and I had been saying this same thing for many years before he got clean. I first heard it in my first year of recovery (1986), and he didn't get clean until 2003.....

I wish I could find the 'true' source. Anybody here know.............?

(o:
NoelleR
Old 10-17-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow, scary story and I'm so glad you sailed through it.

That police officer was ready to be judge and jury, wasn't he!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

No call for this behavior from the over zealous type of Cops~!

There is no requirement and no science behind a FST. You can refuse - they simply have made up their mind you're drunk and want it on tape for court. Disclaimer - I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY AND DO NOT SUGGEST YOU TRY THIS AT HOME....

Of course they will ask for a breathalyzer.....but.....
May want to read this:

http://kut.org/post/dwi-lawyers-advi...u-sober-update

peace,
sorry for the anxiety from the po po

Fly
Old 10-17-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Don't know who actually said that, but what Robert Downey, Jr. DID say is...

"If I’m out at a restaurant and a waiter asks me if I’d like a glass of wine, I tell him, 'I’d love to but I have plans for Christmas.'
Old 10-17-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It isn't personal Bookmaven

Cops get told to look for certain behaviours in drivers that would indicate drink driving.

Driving after dusk / dark without your lights on is another classic trait... You would have got drilled for that one too, if that had been the case.

9 times out of 10, a red light run or no lights at night will be a sober driver.... But 1 in 10, it's a drunk driver.

The world is a safer place with out drunk drivers on the roads.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't really care who actually said the line about breaking out in handcuffs. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. It's just something I say when well meaning non alcoholic offer me a drink to get a laugh.

In my state it is against the law to refuse FBT. When you get behind the wheel and drive it is implied consent that you can an will be given a FBT, breath BAC, urinalysis, and blood test for any reason if an officer thinks you are unsafe to drive. You can be ticketed and arrested just for refusal to test. Even if your tests come back negative, refusing to test is a charge that will be prosecuted resulting in possible jail time and a fine. Know the laws IN YOUR STATE.

I have no problem with the officer doing the field tests. What I do have a problem with is his threats and accusations, treating me like a dangerous criminal when in reality it was a minor traffic violation. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention they patted me down, looking for weapons and drugs.

If however he had asked to search my car I do have the right to refuse that. They say things like "it's going to be a lot easier for you in court if you comply with our request." That is a lie. They have no authority whatsoever to "give you a break" in court. What that is double talk for "it will save us from having to get a warrant and bring out the sniffer dogs which will take hours and we just want to hurry up and find evidence that will stick in court so we can arrest you."

How do I know? I've been through it. Don't ever give them the opportunity to search your car even if you know there is nothing illegal there. Force them to get a warrant first. Again, KNOW THE LAWS IN YOUR STATE, and city by the way. City ordinances can also differ from state laws. They are particularly strict in the city where this happened to me.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hold your head high Bookmaven!! Be Sober and proud of it!!
Old 10-17-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Terrible experience but I think if it was me I'd be rejoicing that it wasn't before you stopped drinking. It could have been such a nightmare. What a relief to know that you would blow a 0.00. Wow...congratulations! But....do be careful at those red lights!
Old 10-17-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Inam gratefu
Old 10-17-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That always makes me so mad when someone accuses me of drinking when I'm not drinking.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

All of that is on his dash camera. You can sue for harassment...
Old 10-17-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad it didn't cause an accident.