Notices

Kinda bummin'

Old 10-16-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Kinda bummin'

I was told yesterday that I need hearing aids! I am only 56 ...way too young for that. Hearing issues run in my family (not my immediate, but extended family). My cousin went totally deaf in her 60s.

So, kind of scary.

Happy Pre-Friday
Old 10-16-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

im 32 and have hearing problems nothing too major but mrs soberwolf has hearing problems and would benefit from hearing aids

and some earplugs to block out my noise lol
Old 10-16-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Well now you don't have to listen to annoying people.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Sorry for this ArtFriend -

I am only a year behind ya - the maladies of our physical bodies are a stark reminder of aging. Yes, only 56!

It's funny - when I think of my Dad at that age in my youth, I thought he was old!
Now I realize we are still spring chickens.......well, maybe fall chickens!

fly
Old 10-16-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Don't fret it. Especially something so minor. Wait till they tell you you need new knees. or a hip. Or a heart.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Don't fret it. Especially something so minor. Wait till they tell you you need new knees. or a hip. Or a heart.
It's all subjective isn't it? Minor to you ...not so much to me.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Sorry for this ArtFriend -

I am only a year behind ya - the maladies of our physical bodies are a stark reminder of aging. Yes, only 56!

It's funny - when I think of my Dad at that age in my youth, I thought he was old!
Now I realize we are still spring chickens.......well, maybe fall chickens!

fly
Thanks! I used to say to my mom that she wasn't a spring chicken anymore. And she would say she was a winter chicken, LOL. Don't wanna consider myself a fall chicken just yet...maybe late summer?
Old 10-16-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Realising my life

((((ArtFriend))))) That must be tough to take, Art

I'm 54 and I like to think that I'm still a funky chicken! But I love the idea of a 'fall' one. As we travelled round the countryside today, I was just thinking that fall must be the most beautiful season by far. . . I wouldn't mind ageing as elegantly as some of the trees I've seen today! (no chance!!)
Old 10-16-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hearing loss can happen at any age. It's so not an 'elderly' thing any more

Depending on the kind of hearing loss you have (and the amount of money you have to spend) hearing aids can be really unobtrusive these days. ArtFriend.

I bet you won't know yourself with enhanced hearing either
Old 10-16-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"I'm sorry; would you repeat that please?"

I have been postponing a trip to the audiologist. My Dad was going deaf when he died at 54; my Mom was profoundly deaf when she died (at 87) but had significant hearing loss from about age 60.

I'm doomed!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My husband is 45 and has had a hearing aid for a couple of years, he needs another one in the other ear now. I'm constantly yelling at him to put the blooming thing in though!
Old 10-16-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
"I'm sorry; would you repeat that please?"
I SAID THAT I HAVE TO GET HEARING AIDS!!!!!!

Lol....

The only reason I went to an audiologist was because people were telling me that they have to repeat themselves all the time. I wasn't really awareof my hearing loss until I did the test.

Are people asking you to repeat yourself Leigh?
Old 10-16-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
I SAID THAT I HAVE TO GET HEARING AIDS!!!!!!

Lol....

The only reason I went to an audiologist was because people were telling me that they have to repeat themselves all the time. I wasn't really awareof my hearing loss until I did the test.

Are people asking you to repeat yourself Leigh?
No; but I am asking them . . . .

And I am "mis-hearing", too. The other day my sister told me she was going to "see Colleen" (her daughter). I asked her who she was going to visit at Sea Colony (a development in a local resort) . . . It's getting bad.

I don't mind the idea of wearing hearing aids; what concerns me is that after dozens and dozens of hearing assessments, adjustments in hearing aids, new hearing aids and more new hearing aids, Mom's hearing did not show significant improvement.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hear you Leigh (at least I understand what you wrote...lol)

I guess you won't know the extent of loss (if any) until you are tested. They have made a lot of advancements in hearing aids over the years. They are pretty high tech now. Digital vs. analog which makes a huge difference. I don't know how old your mom was when they were trying to correct her hearing, but perhaps if you start now, it won't be the same scenario. just sayin'
Old 10-16-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hear you Leigh (at least I understand what you wrote...lol)

I guess you won't know the extent of loss (if any) until you are tested. They have made a lot of advancements in hearing aids over the years. They are pretty high tech now. Digital vs. analog which makes a huge difference. I don't know how old your mom was when they were trying to correct her hearing, but perhaps if you start now, it won't be the same scenario. just sayin'
From your lips to God's ears . . . .

A hearing assessment is on my short list. I suspect that having to wear hearing aids will be a lot less traumatic than having to give up killer high heels . . . .
Old 10-16-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A friend of mine has the latest and greatest version. It is tiny and nests in your ear canal so no one can see it. All adjustments are done remotely by the audiologist's computer. Pretty sweet.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

A friend of mine has the latest and greatest version. It is tiny and nests in your ear canal so no one can see it. All adjustments are done remotely by the audiologist's computer. Pretty sweet.
Wow, that sounds really awesome.

I love that 'late summer chickens'.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

A friend of mine has worn a hearing aid since he was very young, and compared to what he wore 25yrs ago as a child to what he wears now is like day and night, the technology has advanced so much that people he now meets don't even know he wears a hearing aid, and don't think I would know either if I met him now for the first time!!
Old 10-16-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

ArtFriend I suspect I should go and have my ears tested, your post has given me the prompt I needed, thanks. You know you might be surprised to find out how many people of all ages wear hearing aids, as you say they are so tiny and unobtrusive now that in many cases the average person would have no idea if someone is wearing one.

I've been wearing glasses for about 15 years (I'm 59) and really they are pretty much the same thing -- something developed to help us when one of our senses isn't 100%.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Totally sweet!!!!!