Notices

Your definition of having recovered??

Old 10-15-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

In my experience, I find it better off for me not to be around people who are drinking. I think it is even wiser that stay away from bars, pubs, or anywhere where I could get my hands on a drink. This has worked for me and helped me to stay sober. This does not mean that I am still not tempted to drink. I still get cravings and there are even times when I feel social pressure to drink from commercials, social conversations, and family get-togethers. At these moments it is just best to stay out and stay away so I do not fall into those temptations.

I hope you can continue with your recovery... it is a lifelong process that requires living one day at a time. 26 days is great!
Old 10-15-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A.K.A Bri

Glad the article came in handy Alex!

-B
Old 10-15-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have been taught by my predecessors that I will never be cured. This disease cannot be cured but it can be arrested. We have a daily reprieve that is contingent on us doing the next right thing for the right reason. The minute I forget that and become complacent will be the minute I will have to change my clean date- which is 11-1-11... who would want to change that clean date?! Its awesome!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Recovery or recovered ? hmmm i'm not sure the label is useful to me living my life soberly and steadfastly .

If recovery is using the tools and ways of dealing with life i've learned on a daily basis , then thats what i do . they give me a life i really like .

For me there is no difference in the tools and ways of living life as well as i can and recovery tools .

Recovered to me seems to imply i might hang those tools up and not use them … i can't envisage a time when i'd do that .

Bestwishes, m
Old 10-15-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlexEmk View Post
Actualy, you know what, I feel like deleting my post, because i feel bad for asking if I have recovered after only 1 month sober... I really do!! I don't want to feel cocky! it's the last thing I want... But I said to myself that I will always be honest with myself and letting go my feelings on to this board and this is what I'm doing today........ even tho it makes me feel bad right now....

sorry about that... honnestly...
Hie Alex,
You have always posted how you really feel. I believe you have a very strong desire to leave your addicted self in the past - and you are doing that and happy..thats it - dont over think it or let anyone here make you question your victory feeling. you are strong and secure.
Yea, dont get cocky....and , I dont think you are. Your just feeling a taste of victory and freedom....enjoy it. Youve earned it.
As far as Christmas, thats over two months away.....just deal with one day at a time!!
Old 10-15-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

recovered, recovery?
anything Ive ever recovered has stayed mine....unless I let go of it or give it away...
We control this ultimately.....we are recovered by not popping the top eh?
Old 10-15-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good to hear your sobriety is in a good place right now.

I have found that my sobriety...like my emotional state is not "static". I'm closing in on 4 months of sobriety (again) and well, for the most part is been smooth but I have had some pretty iffy moments..for sure.

Although you wanted to delete the post..I think you bring up something important for discuss. I have heard people even in AA call themselves "recovered"..
But for me, I find it implausible that I could have recovered from a few decades of drinking in a few months..mentally, physically and emotionally.

I had a very difficult day yesterday..and well, I didn't think of a drink. It didn't appeal to me in the least...yet only 5 days previous in a new social situation..it crossed my mind a couple of times.

For me, I think I still have many moments ahead where I will be wrestling the whole drink notion.
Today..nope, not at all (well, not so far anyway lol)..
But tomorrow? Who knows what life has in store.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Different people have different concepts that work for them.

For some, it's important to put the past behind them and leave it there.
For others we need to remember that past everyday.

I have a complete and unshakeable faith I'll never drink again, but while I am breathing I am still recovering..alcohol was the symptom - but I was (and am too often) still the problem

D
Old 10-16-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It's strange sometimes how life puts situations together in a day to make you realise things... I'll explain:

In the morning, has I was writing this thread on SR, I was feeling strong and like I had all situations possible under control and at night, my wife announced me that we are going to have diner with friends (good friends that I haven't seen in a while) on the 15th of November and the second after saying: ''oh great idea!'' I felt the stress building up inside of me! I was thinking of the moment where I will say NO to the first drink before diner and having to explain why I don't drink anymore and yada yada yada ...

God I hate having to justify my actions all the time...
God I hate that EVERYBODY around me drink!!

Gnaaaaaaaaaaah!!
Old 10-16-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

You may not believe this but over the last nearly 8 or so years ninety nine percent of people don't care what I do or don't drink Alex - you'll be fine

D
Old 10-16-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

hmmmmm? I am almost ten months sober. 2 days ago I was in a wine bar having a discussion with the proprietor, who is working toward a master sommelier certification, about the wines and grapes. During all of the time I was in this place I had ZERO desire to have a drink - they also had beer on tap.
I don't recommend this for anyone new to "recovery".

Recovery is just not "not drinking". It's growing as an individual and learning how to live and cope with the variances of life. This is the part that I am striving to achieve. It will probably be a lifelong endeavor for me. I of short temper and intolerance for the less than stellar actions of others must learn to be patient and understanding. I've a long way to go. And also, to be able to accept whatever comes my way that affects my livelihood and daily living. It goes back to one of the sayings: "Living life on life's terms."
Old 10-16-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Alex, I was in a situation last week where I told someone I didn't drink. gave it up ten months ago. I wasn't expecting a "why did you give up drinking" question.
My reply was, "It didn't agree with me."