Notices

Newcomer Introduction

Old 10-15-2014, 12:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer Introduction

Hello All,

I am new to this community and want, like many others here, to ask for advice. My story in a nutshell is that I started drinking in university too heavily, though not constantly at that time. I then found employment and began drinking more until about four years later I found myself drinking to sleep. (Perhaps about the equivalent of one to two bottles a wine or so a night) After getting rather sick (non-alcohol related) I decided to quit my job and have had a large amount of stress since then. Realizing that I was getting too far down an unsafe path, I decided to quit completely and go to the doctor for my insomnia issues.
After about two months of being prescribed various sleep medications, I realized that they were beginning to simply act as a replacement for alcohol. So now, I am at a loss and unable to sleep for more than two hours at a time. I have also experienced night sweating, nightmares, shock-like feelings throughout my body, and every time I quit drinking for a few days I lose a few inches around my waist. I feel healthier after a few days, but the sleep issues persist and then I drink again. I know that I need to continue longer, and I have read about all the above symptoms. I suppose after years of browsing I would like to become a member. I have alcoholics on both sides of my family and do not want to continue the path. Perhaps checking responses and responding in turn will give me more willpower to push through the worst of it than I have been able to find on my own in recent months.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi QuietTime, welcome, I'm a newbie here too ,on day 5 of sobriety. You will find tremendous support here, and the advice that people have given to me is keep reading, keep posting.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I have been a member for a month, this site and all the supporting words everyone has to offer has been a life saver! Wishing you the best, on your road to recovery.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Deaf to AV

Welcome, Quiet Time. I'm also new, have completely abstained for 17 days now and have visited SR each of those days. The comfort and support I've received here has been an anchor for me and I'm very grateful. Come back and you too may find what you need.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm on day 7 and starting to feel much healthier. Everyone here is so supportive. You can do this
Old 10-15-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello QT! I too hardly slept my last couple months drinking. By 2 days sober I was sleeping 8 hrs a night. Best wishes on putting the plug in the jug.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

QuietTime, How long have you been sober at any one time? Things like the sweating, nightmares....happen in early sobriety but after a while of being sober, these symptoms go away. It takes more than a few days though. Hang around here, post and know that you have support here!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Quiet Time! I agree with the others that you will find a lot of support and understanding here. Did your doctor ever mention anything about underlying issues that could be contributing to your sleep problems (in addition to alcohol)? I wish you the best, and please keep posting.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello All,

I am truly grateful for the many responses I have received in such a short time. Also, I was truly surprised to see for the first time that there exist so many newcomers to this site in such a short time. I hope to be able to respond as effectively as those who have been gracious enough to respond to me. Yet, honestly, seeing so many join every hour is both reassuring and unsettling for me.
I have researched for a few years about my particular issues and have decided without a doubt that I am an alcoholic. Genetics, behavior, and activities all show that this is the case. I can particularly relate to soberwolf’s response, for I can relate to the majority of the 50 tips he or she so kindly sent to me.
However, seeing that the majority of people that have posted here joined recently in 2014, I must think that everyone is in at least a similar boat as I am in. (I am also by nature pessimistic)
Furthermore, I think it is more simple (at least for myself) to be strong in short intervals than long ones. It is my greatest hope that we can connect from afar and support one another. My profession (which I will not name) has me working at home about 9 hours a day, and at other times odd and long hours. The work is not easy, but I am good at my job. This has more than often given me the delusion that I can control my addiction.
Also, I have done much research on the topic, but for those suffering from insomnia, there is a recently increasing amount of data that states many of us drink to sleep for a variety of reasons. I would like to post about that in more detail later on. But for now, I will simply give my thanks and I will hope that for all of us, from all walks of life, can continue to support each other.
It is indeed early to say, but even these relatively few responses have helped me more than sleep medication or alcohol ever has. We, perhaps tragically as well as hopefully, are not alone.

Best
Old 10-15-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello Again,

I am looking again at my posts and realized it might have sounded unkind to mention that many of those that responded joined this year. I want to reaffirm that I am happy for even a few days, as I think we should be. Also, after looking again (for more than a few times) people that have joined this year have posted in some instances thousands of times.

That is amazing. I hope for the best for everyone

Best,.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome - and keep it up. I started sleeping very well after a few days - MUCH better than I had in years of going to bed in a stupor - gl!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

it seems like a daunting task, but you are worth it. SR is a great safe place to start your journey. Best of luck in yours! Welcome!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am looking again at my posts and realized it might have sounded unkind to mention that many of those that responded joined this year.

Not at all! Just keep in mind that this is specifically a Newcomer's Forum, so that's what you'll find. I've noticed that the other boards have more long-term folks. They are definitely here (thankfully!!!)
Old 10-15-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome. I am sorry you are suffering from insomnia, I can imagine that must be horrible to deal with.
I would highly suggest speaking to your doctor about this and asking about alternative ways to deal with it.
You mentioned shock-like feelings, which made me think of a situation I faced years ago. I was prescribed effoxor for mild depression/anxiety. Effexor has a very short half-life, and if I did not take this medication precisely on schedule- like down to the minute- I immediately went into a state of withdrawal and experienced these "brain shocks" as I found them referred to online. I wonder if the medications you have been prescribed for sleep could be causing this for you. Only a doctor can answer that for you, but if you go in armed with some basic information and specific questions it may help him or her get to the root of the problem. I would also suggest a book called "Your drug may be your problem" by Drs Peter Breggin and David Cohen. I by no means want to imply that everyone, everywhere should stop taking medications (I myself am currently on two prescription medications at light dosages for psychiatric reasons) but it could be something to consider.
I did eventually get off the effexor, it was a nightmare to go through, but once I was clean of it I felt much better.
Medications aside, one thing is for sure, alcohol will only make your problems worse. While initially alcohol might help you get to sleep it causes major sleep disturbances later in the night and over time. At first, as your body gets used to not having alcohol your sleep might worsen, but if you can hang in there you should see improvement, even if just a little bit.
There is nothing wrong with seeing a doctor or taking medication to address this issue if you feel that is the best way. However, you also might want to consider some natural ways of improving your sleep. A few I recommend are lavender- with a bath with oils or putting lavender oil on your skin or pillow. Also cooling the air temperature in your room- whether by using air conditioning or opening a window in the winter, meanwhile sleeping under heavy, warm blankets. So you are warm in your immediate space, but the air surrounding you is cool/cold. Another tip is putting certain indoor plants in your room during the day to clean the air and then removing them at night. I can't remember the plants that work best, but there are specific ones, but I do remember that you should remove all living plants at night as they change/charge the energy in the room. This is starting to sound kind of granola, isn't' it? But bring on the granola, a lot of it works!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum QuietTime!!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some good advice here Quiettime.

I would definitely go back to your Dr (or another one if you prefer) , especially if you stopped the meds without consultation and cold turkey? (That part wasn't clear to me?)

I'm glad you've found us

D
Old 10-15-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you QT. You'll find plenty of encouragement here.