Notices

Here's why I stopped this time

Old 10-11-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Here's why I stopped this time

I think what finally did it was when I talked to my substance abuse therapist on Thursday and went over my treatment options, and I told him I hadn’t really tried to quit. Like really tried. I meant that as a last ditch desperate excuse to buy more time, but then I realized that I was right. I hadn’t really tried. I hadn’t taken responsibility for myself and my recovery. I finally understood what he had been trying to tell me for nearly two years: that no matter how well I can justify my drinking with a lifetime of problems, that doesn’t change my options now. And no one is going to do this for me. The decision and the work has to come from me. So now I’m really trying. Funny how after all the advice he has tried to give me, ultimately it was my own words, not his, that made me understand.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things got a lot better for me once I accepted I needed to do this. Hope you'll find the same Briar

D
Old 10-11-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Thanks Dee. What I didn't realize about acceptance is that it's not a one time thing. I don't just have to accept that I am an alcoholic, I have to accept everything that comes with it, and I have to accept everything that comes with recovery. It's been like peeling an onion. I accept one thing and then it reveals another (even stinkier) layer. It's a difficult process, but I think I'm getting there.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Thanks Dee. What I didn't realize about acceptance is that it's not a one time thing. I don't just have to accept that I am an alcoholic, I have to accept everything that comes with it, and I have to accept everything that comes with recovery. It's been like peeling an onion. I accept one thing and then it reveals another (even stinkier) layer. It's a difficult process, but I think I'm getting there.
When I quit drinking, I found I no longer had to accept all the difficulties and problems that come from alcohol. That was the only acceptance I needed. Did I want an easier life or did I want misery? The choice seems easy when you are removed from your addiction, but harder when stuck in it.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Same here.. You have to own the decision and want to do it... I had to make sure that sobriety was at top of list in my world... when I have a drinking thought I shut it down by reminding myself that alcohol wants to steal this important thing from me...

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 10-12-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had to make sure that sobriety was at top of list in my world.
I like your thinking. Briar, it takes as long as takes. The drugs don't work. Stay strong.