Notices

Can't seem to get past day 5

Old 10-11-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't seem to get past day 5

Hello everyone,

So I'm 24, and although alcohol hasn't become a significant problem in my life, I know I've been over-consuming. I posted a while back that I started drinking regularly at 21 (before that it was reserved for random party nights throughout college) but since then I've steadily increased. Still, it never became a nightly occurence and was never more than a handful of drinks a night.

Around January I went through some major changes due to starting a great new job that is unfortunately in a very isolated area and started living alone for the first time. I am relocating in December, and although I am still doing very well at my job, for a while I found myself drinking half a fifth every night at the very least and wanted to stop. Since that first post, I keep going for 5 days (without fail) of not drinking. Then it usually hits the weekend and I drink at my old level for a day or two. Then I feel like **** and start over at day one.

I'm sick of this pattern. I always spend day 1 and 2 (sunday and monday) sleeping terribly, sweating, being anxious etc. Then halfway through the week I feel great, am back in the gym, am seeing friends in the area, and am promising myself this is the week I stop for good. Then the weekend hits and I inevitably fall off again.

I say this having had a couple drinks tonight, and after spilling out the rest of the handle I'm mad at myself. I argued with myself against buying it and then caved 30 minutes before the store closed and went out and grabbed it. I'm not sure why 5 days always ends up being when I cave, but I just wanted to know if anyone has advice for when the cravings get so bad you just feel like you can't fight them.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Swimmer

Did you ever chase up any support?

D
Old 10-11-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi swimmer, good to meet you.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello i remember being like that im 15 months in 2 days

it is always pissible like D's Sig says...The only failure is the failure to try so just keep trying youl get there

good luck all the best in the world tol you
Old 10-12-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Swimmer!

I suspect it's not Day 5 that gets you but the weekend. Weekends are tough in the beginning for lots of people. It helped me and lots of others to have very specific plans that do not include alcohol for those first weekends. You work out and you have friends in the area, so those are great places to start. Are there some fitness classes you could take on Friday evening? Can you make plans with a friend or two to do something that does not involve drinking (or that temptation)?

When I first stopped, I was surprised to see so many people out and sober on Friday and Saturday nights. I always assumed everyone was drinking just like me. Browsing the bookstore, making my mission to find the perfect pair of jeans at the mall, these were ways I focused my head on stuff other than the routine I had developed over the years.

Congratulations on seeking success. You will get there!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What support do you have? or is it just sheer willpower you're using!!

Simply resisting alcohol didn't get me far, eventually my addictive mind would grind me down, I needed something outside of myself to give me a second opinion about what my mind wanted me to do.

You can do this, but building in some support to your plan might make all the difference!!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you are ready to get past day 5 this time. Plan ahead and be prepared with tools to help you get past that. And, you can learn to recognize your AV when it's talking to you and to ignore it. You can do this!