Notices

Loneliness

Old 10-11-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Loneliness

So I am new to this site. I joined because I need support from people who actually understand addiction and recovery. I have been clean from meth for a little over a month now and so far I have been doing really well. I have completely turned my life around and it's slowly getting back on track. the cravings have been minimal. But these past few days I have been feeling very depressed and lonely and I am having cravings again. Me and girls moved back in with my parents so I'm not alone I just feel very lonely. I do not have any friends due to the fact that all of them are still addicts so I have cut them out of my life. I miss having a friend. My family is very supportive and has been awesome but I just miss having friends my own age. I have broken my parents trust many times before so they are very skeptical about me going anywhere alone so it is hard for me to make friends. I feel scared that with me being confined in the house all day that it will eventually wear on me and I will run and go out again like last time. Today I had a really strong craving probably the strongest one yet and it really scared me. I love being at home with my children and having my family around but the longing for companionship is really wearing on me. Any advice is very much appreciated!!
Old 10-11-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are doing the right thing by posting on here. I get lonely too but it's important to try to remember that it won't last forever and that you are doing the right thing by rebuilding your life! Hang in there-you are not alone!
Old 10-11-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Elisiamcd,

Welcome to SR Look around, make yourself comfortable - you will find a diverse crowd, lots of understanding, and support here.

I definitely think it's not the best idea to be confined in the house with little to do in early recovery. Most people need at least some social life and support to be balanced and healthy, especially during major life changes such as recovering from an addiction.

Do you work? When I quit drinking, I had little other social life than work-related connections and SR, for a while. You could also find a recovery group in your area and/or individual or group therapy. Picking up new interests, hobbies, and activities can also be great - preferentially something that would put you in touch with people who are not excessive substance users. I would not let your parents control when and how much you can get out but would be open with them within realistic limits.

I think many people find recovery meetings helpful in the beginning, even if you don't want to work a program formally, just to be around others that understand and deal with similar problems.

All the best
Old 10-11-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Elisia - we're glad to meet you. You're never alone - you have many here who care and want to help.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Elisia well done on a month that's fantastic! Are your children school age or younger?
Old 10-11-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tons of support and encouragement here Elisia- welcome

D
Old 10-12-2014, 01:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Elisia -

Great work on 1 month sober. Just tossing out some ideas to get you out of the house....

What about taking a class at a community college for fun - like learning a language, photography, dance, etc? Class that are more interactive vs. lecture preferred. Structurally, it's nice that they meet regularly as making friends takes some time.

NA/AA is also a great place if you're looking to meet people, for the same reasons.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Elisia !
Old 10-12-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!
I agree with everyone else here to find something that you are interested in and go with it! If you're not sure what you would like then try a yoga or Pilates class. The people that participate in these types of classes typically lead healthy lifestyles and are motivating to be around!! Plus, they are mind/body/spirit exercises that can help to focus your mind!! Good luck.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Elisia!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome and congrats!

When I sobered up I thought friends would magically rain down from heaven. 3 months later I had no friends.

I started going to AA and became active in my church and met a ton of good people many who are now friends and I have a full and rewarding social life.

There are a million ways to do it but hang out in sober places and give of yourself. Friendship is an inevitable outcome
Old 10-12-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Welcome! Lot's of good suggestions up there. Volunteer, find an NA group that you like, find a church that you like, take the kids to the park. Sitting and dwelling on the negative often provokes the cravings. Read and post here. Someone's always here.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

To stay clean you really do have to avoid your old friends. I feel for you. I don't have any sober friends and at my age I don't make friends very easy anymore. I thankfully have a very loving and supportive wife. Just keep it up, you have a lot of support here and caring people. Checking in here helps me a lot knowing I'm not going through this alone.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Elisia!

You will find lots of friends here.