Notices

Things I don't have to do anymore

Old 10-11-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

No more-----

Knocking off a disturbing amount of liquor every single day;

not even to mention all the horrific side effects thereof.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
A.K.A Bri

The things I'm glad I no longer do are...
- Wondering what I did / said the day before
- Waking up sick with a hangover every day
- Constantly repairing broken relationships only to break them again
- Entertaining destructive relationships with others
- Sabotaging my health by putting alcohol above eating / exercising / everything
- Destroying blessings whenever they'd come into my life because I didn't think I deserved them
- Wasting ridiculous amounts of money at liquor stores and bars
& the list goes on...

-B
Old 10-11-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

ummm...are you me???^^
Old 10-11-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

-Putting my nightly empties into a shopping bag (so no one could count them) then making sure this bag was under other things in the recycle bin.
-stopping at the store EVERY night to buy beer.(did the 30 pack thing but that made me "look" like a drunk - so I stopped(?)
-planning my evenings around drinking, when any "surprise" pissed me off as it cut into my time with the beer.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I really love this thread.
Thanks, everyone.
Beth
Old 10-11-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I could write five pages.....and keep adding as I think of them!

I no longer have to......

*Worry about breaking my valuables (laptop, iPad, phone and then breaking valuables while drunk. I once drenched my laptop with the garden hose while watering plants in the evening while drunk. It was ruined. I left my camcorder on the floor near my couch and ending up tripping over it and breaking it while drunk. I left a different laptop on the floor next to my bed and CRUNCH, stepped on it and smashed it when I woke up the next morning. I am on my third laptop in three years and this one looks like new. I bought it after I stopped drinking.

My valuables were always at risk when I was drinking.

*I no longer leave the stove on and ruin pots and pans after the water boiled away. When I would put the pasta in, I would forget about it and it would be so overcooked it was barely edible.

*If I cooked anything in a pan I would forget about it and burn it.

*I no longer have to dread evening plans that don't involve drinking.

*I no longer have to dread evening plans that do involve drinking. Even if they were serving alcohol, I couldn't drink 12 glasses of wine at dinner party. Bar? 12 drinks would cost $100. And wait in line to get drinks? Ha. Why go out when I could get blackout drunk at home for a $5.99 bottle of store brand vodka? I simply couldn't drink how I wanted (and craved) when out, even at a bar.

*I no longer shake in the morning.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I LOVE this thread..........have seen many things I don't have to do anymore; for me the biggest one is worrying about my health because of the drinking and the weight i had gained...after 11 days I have lost 7 pounds and hoping it continues to come off, my breathing has improved and my self-esteem has zoomed....I don't miss never having a smile on my face because I hated myself, looking forward to the evening "martini hours" and dreading them at the same time........the list could go on and on. Like I said I love this thread and will be reading it over and over.........
Old 10-12-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Just a couple off the top of my head -
Chewing gum to hopefully mask the smell. I detest chewing gum, because it reminds me of drinking.
Shoplifting.
Dealing with the terror and panic of missing last sale of alcohol after 2 AM.
The panic of impending vomiting in public after 'one shot too many.'
Waking up to the very first thought of planning my drunk for the day.
Many more...
Old 10-12-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Those raging hangovers, like nervous breakdowns. Heart pounding in my chest. The feeling of paranoia I think is the worst part x
Old 10-12-2014, 12:33 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
love is the answer

"how did that get there?"
"where did I put .....?"
"where did this bruise come from?"
So relateable.
Along with
"Is this a fart or am I going to s**t myself?"
and
carb loading
plus
several things I am so deeply ashamed of I'm not ready to share them yet.

I'm so glad I don't do this crap any more.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:40 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by gratitude28 View Post
I really love this thread.
Thanks, everyone.
Beth
I love it too. Keep on reminding myself of the horrors, here's a few more:
Never, ever remembering half the evening, what I said, whom I spoke to, how I got home.

Waking up with the terrors plus "where's my bag, phone, etc" I never ever remember getting into bed.

Knowing the first thing my husband is going to say to me is "how's your hangover?" I could never understand how he knew, even though I didn't go out with him, he works Friday & Saturday nights as a London licensed taxi driver!!!

Dreading feeling utterly terrible all day long but having to make out in "fine!"

Keep this thread going, I love it x
Old 10-12-2014, 12:56 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

A few I forgot
Waking up to purple/black stained red wine mouth and teeth and realising this is how I looked last night when I thought I looked sexy
Vomiting as quietly as I can while in the shower so my husband cannot hear and realise how hung over I really am
Spending a beautiful sunny day feeling like death in bed when I should be working or doing anything else
Neglecting bills and getting late fees because I cannot organise myself to pay them on time.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I no longer have to wake up at 3 am, clothes on, face down on the bed (over the covers) with all the lights on. Hopefully not the stove though. Oh, and a few times the front door was left wide open. One of these times my dog escaped. She came back luckily.

I no longer have to resent morning events like Easter brunch or waking up early to open presents on Christmas morning. These are supposed to be joyous times.

I no longer have to wear a fake smile when my head is pounding with a headache.

I no longer have to spend my days off on the couch. If anyone would have walked in on me on any given Saturday or Sunday they would think I had some terrible illness like pneumonia or the flu.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Oh, some great ones here !
Old 10-12-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Love this thread!
Old 10-12-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Wondering how long it will take to 'live down' a particularly embarrassing episode. A couple of weekends ago I was sneaking out my empties. I put them in bag and took with me to gas station as I planned to buy another six pack.. I didn't realize my car keys were in my hand and they went into trash bin with the cans. I had to go inside to get the key which opens trash bin from the attendant and then dig through piles of rubbish to find my car keys. Naturally I was so humiliated that I promptly went to another place for the beer.....got to cash register and realized it was second time I'd been there that day for beer. BTW, that was last weekend in September. I've been sober since October 1.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Fiona630 View Post
Flynbuy, #7 wondering where I have been did happen yesterday. And why Im not getting my usual of beer and pizza and pringles. Nice. Its like cheers for me at MY corner store. lol I walk in and they holler my name.
So true....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cheers.jpg (34.4 KB, 65 views)
Old 10-12-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fromadistance View Post
Wondering how long it will take to 'live down' a particularly embarrassing episode. A couple of weekends ago I was sneaking out my empties. I put them in bag and took with me to gas station as I planned to buy another six pack.. I didn't realize my car keys were in my hand and they went into trash bin with the cans. I had to go inside to get the key which opens trash bin from the attendant and then dig through piles of rubbish to find my car keys. Naturally I was so humiliated that I promptly went to another place for the beer.....got to cash register and realized it was second time I'd been there that day for beer. BTW, that was last weekend in September. I've been sober since October 1.
I have done the exact same thing! Horrendous to go dumpster diving early in the morning. Yikes. Glad we are on the mend!!
Old 10-12-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Bingeing on McDonalds or pizza hut because I'm hungover and there's no food in the house.
Waking up to the alarm and having to lie in bed until the last possible minute to get up because I feel like death.
Switching my phone off at night so people don't ring me while I'm drinking. Lying that "I went to bed early because I was really tired".
Posting stupid **** on Facebook and being embarrassed about it the next morning.
Falling over/ down stairs/ off chairs at parties.
Making an arse out of myself.
Crippling anxiety and panic attacks on way to/at work.
Counting down the hours at the office until I can head to the bottle shop. Scarfing nip bottles on my way home.
Showering sitting down because I'm too weak to stand up.
Throwing up at work.
Hiding my hangovers, telling people I feel fine.
etc. etc. etc.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fromadistance View Post
Whoohoo! Congratulations!