Notices

Changing patterns changes outcomes

Old 10-10-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changing patterns changes outcomes

Been trying to moderate for a couple of months with success, have not had an episode and am continuing to cut down. Used to be three times a week, now it is down to once a month, and have been AF for over two weeks.

Yesterday I had a great day at my ranch, got a lot of work done and decided it was time for a beer. Have not taken beer up there for over a month, so there were no beers in the fridge. Had a little panic attack, but got over it. Went outside cleaned up some stuff and went back to the house. Saw we had some Grey goose and needed a mixer. Don't drink hard alcohol too much, but figured vodka tonic would be good. No tonic. Vodka, o.j, no o.j. No mixers at all. Panicked a little then found some crystal light raspberry. Got out the water to mix it and ice cubes and then stopped. I don't like this drink, never had one before, so why not just not. So I didn't. Worked a couple more hours, drove home, picked up kids and went home.

Still have beer in the house and went to the fridge to get one because I deserved one from the great work day. Then thought why not just don't. So I didn't. Had a great dinner, not too much dinner but a good one, had a great end of night, slept well, got up early and am having a good day.

I am changing the pattern of deserving the drink to a pattern of why not just don't drink. I have so much more time, and feel good when I just don't. I have less time, and feel crappy when I just do.

Anyway, have been good and want to be better, Wife is leaving for a two day 10k race and I am a little worried. I do well when she is around, not so well, when she is not around.

So I am screwing up my next two days with all sorts of different activities so I don't fall into the pattern of drinking. I am confident it will work. When I don't drink at all I have a new found appreciation of things that used to just irritate me. Just went out and cleaned up pine needles for 2 hours. Used to hate it as I was hungover, or did not sleep well(drinking induced). Now it is fun to see the progress of something as inane as cleaning up pine needles.

I hope everyone does well this weekend and can change whatever it is they need to change to not fall into the drinking pattern. Outcomes are hard to change without changing the pattern. I think most drinkers have patterns, I know I have at a dozen where the pattern starts, then drinking comes in, and then you achieve the outcome of feeling terrible, hungover, sick, depressed, self hate, anxiety and the list goes on.

Good luck to all.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you!! I admire your strength and tenacity.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Recognizing that we can change the outcomes is a big step. We need to change what we are doing, in order to get different results and that's what you're learning to do.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know if they are patterns or rituals, but they involve drinking. I am learning there can be other ways to live without the drink. I have said often, the drink used to be fun, loved it, but it stopped working for me.

At the beginning of this plan it was damn hard to not drink several times a week, now it is getting better and I have been over 2 weeks without any drinking. I still cant get my hands around the quitting forever, but I like to analyze things and when you take a step or two back, well the outcomes are not positive from drinking. I also know moderation does not work for me, and it will not work for me. My plan is to eliminate the alcohol in total.

I guess I am fortunate to not have physical cravings(yet). I have drank a lot for a long time but don't have the physical part. Actually I do have the physical part, sore liver, bloat, headache, etc, but these have left me. Funny how one gets used to the progressive effects of alcohol on the body. My liver used to be so sore I could not sleep on the right side of my body, but I figured I will not drink tomorrow and it will go away. The bloat used to go away in a day, now it is three days. I am fat, but I feel so damn much better without the additional belly bloat and exercise/movement is easier without the bloat.

One thing for certain is it is impossible to lose weight and get fit when you drink 15 drinks three times a week. I am one of the people who searches for the "cure" to get rid of the hangover/sickness. Typically a lot of food. Lots and lots of food. Good food, bad food, just lots of food.

Look forward to a good weekend.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by herradura View Post
I still cant get my hands around the quitting forever, but I like to analyze things and when you take a step or two back, well the outcomes are not positive from drinking. I also know moderation does not work for me, and it will not work for me. My plan is to eliminate the alcohol in total.
Take drinking completely off the table, you won't have to think about it. Otherwise, it remains an option and despite all your "changes" to drinking rituals, drinking can work its way back in.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

So you drink once a month now and have been alcohol free for over 2 weeks....

what happens in 2 weeks or a week and a half ?

honestly you talk of patterns and cant even see it no offence but just stop drinking life is so much better without alcohol and its obvious as heck that it is a major problem for you

good luck on keeping sober herradura
Old 10-10-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Soberwolf,

I keep track of the drinking now. And I have drank once in the last month a little over two weeks ago. I agree stopping altogether is the goal, but I am not a cold turkey person. Not planning on drinking in two weeks, or even three, or a month. I suppose I just don't like failing and don't see the point of people giving up drinking cold turkey, then relapsing and feeling like hell about themselves. Then stopping and relapsing and feeling like hell.

I know this is not the way of the nondrinker, but I think if one was drinking 150 to 175 drinks a month, a few months ago, and have only had 8 drinks in the last month, this is progress. My plan is to eventually not drink at all.

Sort of like stripclubs I think. When I was young and single I used to go to these often with my buddies. As I matured and got things figured out less and less. Then I got married and have not been to one since, I can go tonight if I want, but I chose not to go. Have not been to one in 18 years. Don't plan on ever going to one again. But I can.

Feel the same way about drinking. Can I drink right now, sure I can, but I am not going to. But if you ask me if I drink I will say not now. But I can, I just don't.

Don't ever worry about offending me. I got alligator skin!

Hope you have a good and productive weekend.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The thing about a plan is it yours. I am happy you for saying not to yourself, keep saying it!

Keep truckin and sharing - of course be prepared for abuse when the M word is tossed out. That, as you are aware is a hot button cause for alkies it's impossible.

It sounds to me like you are in a taper mode resulting in zero mode = great. This too is something that has been tried, tried, tried with not much success. BUT, again - it's your bag......

keep posting!
peace
Old 10-12-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Fly,

I have completed another successful weekend of not drinking with my wife out of town. sort of funny she came home yesterday from her run and started watching the ND game downstairs it was recorded, I was watching it live upstairs. She came up in about an hour and asked me how many beers I had. None. Really! I thought you would have had a few.

Best part of watching a game without drinking and without getting drunk, is when the game is over, the rest of the night starts instead of ends. Meaning if I drink 15 beers watching the game I am in no shape to do anything other than continue dinking or start cooking/drinking. Then a night of no sleep, bad stomach and don't want to do anything all Sunday.

Everyone's way of stopping is different, I don't agree with many people on this site, I don't agree with many things people do, but I appreciate insight from others. I also don't make my opinions known because I understand every one is different.

Said it before, I think there are different levels of alcoholism and alcoholics. It is hard for me to identify with some people who are at the different stages. I have much empathy for the down and outers, I really feel for these people. I also know in August when I embarked on this journey I was considering getting a prescription to help me stop drinking. Got through that phase and now I can watch a game without drinking at all. Never thought that would have been possible. I have never tried to quit before, take time off yes, but quit no.

I am going to quit drinking now, no plan to moderate, but am going to take it out of my life. But my approach is not the cold turkey method, if people hate it that is fine, if they respect it, that is fine too. But my end goal is stopping it all together.

I am planning on getting my house free of liquor before the end of the year. I have posted I have a lifetime supply of hard alcohol. There are four bars in my house, I have closed two in their entirety. I met with my financial advisor on Friday ( market is really difficult right now). I planned on selling him my booze as I know he drinks a lot. He told me he is also off the drink and has a wine cellar with 900+ bottles in it and wants to get rid of it as well. It is difficult to sell booze in mass because of state liquor laws etc. We are going to work together to find a buyer for the wine and booze.

Anyway, I think I would do best to limit my time on this site and just do what I have to do. Took the weekend off and felt good, going to just check it twice a week and see how things go. I don't think these sites are intended to make people angry and I get angry about 80% of the time.

BTW been watching a lot of "intervention" and I can fast forward through all the drama and see what happens. Been very good to see the addiction cycle. Whether it is meth, drink, food, heroin, etc. It is all the same thing in a different package.

Hope everyone had a successful weekend.

HOSS
Old 10-12-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"Why not just don't"

I like it.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I respect differences and different approaches. I can't judge, God knows. I think on SR we read so much about denial, plans to taper - quit, etc that many understand each time we drink we roll the dice. For me, I simply cannot......If I am drinking and there's booze around, I will drink it until it's gone or I am. This is common with alcoholics I know.

I believe there is a common theme on SR - we all wish our fellows the best of life and want others to get a handle on a deadly disease in order to achieve that goal. People - rightly so, are passionate about their sobriety.

I would also comment while myself and others would never attempt your plan, many will wish you the best.

Peace, good luck on your path
fly
Old 10-12-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by herradura View Post
I am changing the pattern of deserving the drink to a pattern of why not just don't drink.