Notices

Cant do it anymore....

Old 10-08-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant do it anymore....

I just can't do it anymore. Every day seems like a year! The white knuckling is exhausting! The cravings are almost painful!

Thinking about drinking in day 8. :-( It's so hard! Why is it so hard??? :-(

Sorry to whine. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 10-08-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LDT

Have you googled 'urge surfing'? You can ride out the crave.

Good luck .
Old 10-08-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's hard because we are addicted to alcohol, our minds and bodies have created a dependance on alcohol and want what we are trying to stop them having!!

The question though is what is going to be more painful, drinking and waking up with a hangover tomorrow, or continuing on in Sobriety, knowing that things will and do get better, SR is full of people that can confirm that.

For me it all comes back to the reason why I thought I needed to address my relationship alcohol, things were on a downward spiral into chaos, my life was full of misery, alcohol was doing me no favours, and so why go back to that life? surely there has to be better?!!

Maybe it's time to look at some face to face support, more tools in the toolbox, sheer willpower never got me far!!
Old 10-08-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ahhh, Serenidad. I am sorry you are struggling. Can you take it hour by hour today? Eights days is a lot to let go of....you are almost into double digits! How about some ice cream? A nice long walk or bath? Both? All?

Stick around and whine all you want. It is hard sometimes, but it is always worth it. You can do it!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes it is.
Until it is not anymore.
Go through this discomfort once.
A marathon, not a sprint.
I found it incredibly hard.
I had quit for 2 years before and thought, "OK, I can do this.".
But, it was so much harder!
Remember, H.A.L.T.
Are you
Hungry?
Angry?
Lonely?
Tired?
If so, Eat, go for a walk and get rid of anger by distracting yourself.
Call a sober or good friend.
Go to bed!
Don't have to sleep.
Listen to Public radio, BBC4, favourite music.
Read a newspaper or magazine or a light book.

IT IS HARD.
Do it once.
It is truly easier to go through a craving than to start all over.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Serenidad hope this helps

50 Essential Tips To Help You Stay Clean And Sober
Old 10-08-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello: I hear ha BUT, play the tape, we all know how it ends up and you are sooooo much more than that! You CAN because you are smart and you can differentiate between YOU and your AV.

My mantra, this too shall pass. We are here with you Serenidad!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Urge Surfing – Relapse Prevention – Mindfulness

Are you committed to keeping sobriety your #1 priority? That's what I had to determine... if I was willing to say no to drinking no matter what happened. No matter if it was the crappiest day imaginable. I had to have things I could turn to instead of the drink... SR, books, chat, meetings, exercise, etc.

Replay in your mind what typically happens when you drink.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
I just can't do it anymore.
Don't give into this. That's addiction talking. Plain and simple.

You can do this. It might not be comfortable. But you can do this.

Someone at an AA meeting told me once. Experience the discomfort and sit in it. It won't last. It only seems like it'll be forever.

You'll be stronger once you get through. And you WILL get through!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The white knuckling is exhausting!
I bet it is. Have to considered face to face support? Or is the idea of talking about your drinking and recovery struggles--IN PERSON--worse than what you are going through now?

Because is sure isn't worse than what happens when you drink!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard because it's early days Serenidad. It takes longer than 8 days for our bodies, minds and spirits to began to repair themselves. Don't give up because it will get much better.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been to five meetings in three days because just out of the blue I've had a lot of anxiety lately. Not thinking about drinking at all, just anxious and stressed and feeling off my center big time.

So I've gone to meetings. It has helped.

AA is a fantastic place to get some support, to vent, to share and get it out there.....

I find there is a big difference between typing it onto the screen and actually talking to other humans who understand and into whose eyes I can look and with whom I can get real, cry, be frustrated, be open....

Maybe you could find a meeting.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes you can do this. You already came here first instead of drinking, that tells you something right there.

As others have mentioned you are very, very early on this path of sobriety. It's going to take some time for your body and mind to get used to it. As some have mentioned, have you considered some local assistance? ( Counseling, therapy, meetings...?? )
Old 10-08-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I bet it is. Have to considered face to face support? Or is the idea of talking about your drinking and recovery struggles--IN PERSON--worse than what you are going through now? Because is sure isn't worse than what happens when you drink!
Yes Carl. I'm thinking I may need AA again. The last 8 days have been hard & lonely. I really believed I could "just quit" if I really put my mind to it but this is soooo hard! I have tons of family & friends but they aren't alcoholics so they don't "know" how to support me...ya know? Stayed sober for almost 6 years & the first half (3 yrs) was with AA. The second half was without AA (almost 3 yrs) so I thought I could easily handle it again! Guess not! I'm not sure why I'm so reluctant or scared to go back to AA?????? :-(

Old 10-08-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I've been to five meetings in three days because just out of the blue I've had a lot of anxiety lately. Not thinking about drinking at all, just anxious and stressed and feeling off my center big time. So I've gone to meetings. It has helped. AA is a fantastic place to get some support, to vent, to share and get it out there..... I find there is a big difference between typing it onto the screen and actually talking to other humans who understand and into whose eyes I can look and with whom I can get real, cry, be frustrated, be open.... Maybe you could find a meeting.
Yes...I am starting to think that's what I need....

Old 10-08-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Have you googled 'urge surfing'? You can ride out the crave. Good luck .
No never tried it. Does it help?

Old 10-08-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think it's awesome that you are considering going back to meetings. God knows they help me when I'm having a rough day. I love AA and I know I couldn't stay sober without it. Good luck <3
Old 10-08-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
I think it's awesome that you are considering going back to meetings. God knows they help me when I'm having a rough day. I love AA and I know I couldn't stay sober without it. Good luck <3
I'm so stubborn and my ego is in the way! I don't want to go back & say I relapsed. Ugh. But I guess I will just swallow my pride & if people choose to judge then oh well!

Old 10-08-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Stayed sober for almost 6 years & the first half (3 yrs) was with AA. The second half was without AA (almost 3 yrs) so I thought I could easily handle it again! Guess not! I'm not sure why I'm so reluctant or scared to go back to AA?????? :-(
I know for myself returning to AA rooms after yet another relapse was the worst part of the relapse. Just the feelings of guilt and not belonging was too much to bear. I know alot of it was in my head but it seemed real to me...

Also, the groups I went to had some very dominant and outspoken members. This never helped when you I would feel chastised and given a "told you so look". Not all AA groups are like that, I have been to some very good ones where I felt very welcome most of the time. Hopefully you attend one of these.

Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and walk through those doors to get the help you need
Old 10-08-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Serenidad,

Our bodies are healing and it is exhausting. I am going to as many meetings as possible and it is helping tremendously. Don't be afraid. Whatever works to keep us sober because no matter how bad it gets, drinking will only make it worse. Big hugs.