Notices

Reaction to alcohol getting worse!

Old 10-07-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering

Unhappy Reaction to alcohol getting worse!

Hi Guys,

Last night I caught up with some friends after work for dinner and I had 4 standard beers which I thought was quite sensible for me as I didn't get carried away n drink all night knowing I had work the next day.

However after dinner and those few beers I immediately felt really dehydrated to the point where I drank water all night and still am (I always am!). I also notice after 1 or 2 beers I have a really broken sleep n wake up then go back to sleep n in all feel sluggish the next day.

I think the saddest part is realising that even cutting down on alcohol intake does no good. Most people can enjoy a few beers with dinner however I think the thing thats getting me most is the guilt

Not looking forward to work today..
Old 10-07-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drknz,

I found that even a few drinks made me feel terrible in the last few years. I used to be able to drink four or five and feel like running a marathon the next day. This, of course was over five or six years ago and the times I limited it to four or five drinks were extremely rare.

For me, I had abused my body so much that it couldn't really process even a few drinks anymore. I found that if I had a medium amount like five or six I almost felt worse the next day because the hangover symptoms were more pronounced or something. When I drank 12 it was all fuzzy so maybe I didn't notice as much.

The very last time I drank I didn't even drink that much (five beers or so) and felt hungover for four days. You're right that cutting down on alcohol intake doesn't even work anymore and we don't even feel better in the morning. I have found that complete abstinence is actually easier than experimenting with those three or four beers and hoping I wouldn't feel that bad the next day. It still kinda baffles me how normal people can truly enjoy two or three beers and leave it at that. We just have to accept that we're not wired that way.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering

If I go for nights out with friends now it takes me the rest of the weekend to recover whilst they wake up the next day fine and ready to go!

Im only 25 and I'm going overseas soon and its a bit disappointing to know I won't be able to enjoy myself like I use too.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always ridiculously prided myself on my capacity to drink vast amounts and not get 'too drunk'

Leaving aside the subjective quality of that assessment, I undeniably lost that skill the more years I drank.

I believe it will happen to everyone if they persist drinking like we did.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lly-again.html

D
Old 10-07-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Im only 25 and I'm going overseas soon and its a bit disappointing to know I won't be able to enjoy myself like I use too.
Depends on your definition of enjoy, tho Drknz. If enjoyment = getting drunk to you, then yeah you can expect to be disappointed.

But it could also be the best trip of your life, with a lot of fun and good memories, y'know?

Is it a boys trip?

D
Old 10-07-2014, 11:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Dee,

Yeah it is a boys trip for a week with 2 other mates. We will be in Cambodia doing a bit of travelling but they will also party at nights
Old 10-08-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I feared as much.
Then you already know it's not a great idea to go from a recovery standpoint.

D