Notices

I'm ready to quit FOREVER!

Old 10-06-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fromadistance View Post
Hi James, in my first few days on this site I've tried to glean some common principles that apply to those here that have maintained long term sobriety. I am a planner by nature but definitely agree with pickle and marathon in their posts. I was becoming overwhelmed yesterday trying to figure out all of the 'what abouts'. I am now actively pushing that out of my mind and only only only looking at today. Its an effort for me but also liberating and I'm confident that most, if not all, of my questions about the future will in fact work out better this way. Hang in there and I am rooting for you!
Even though my decision to quit 'forever' seems like a HUGE task, I'm going to approach it one step at a time. There's no point trying to run before you can walk...I think that's what I did last time - looked at the big picture and it seemed hopeless. I need to give myself a fighting chance and take it slowly. One day at a time is how I'm going to go about things.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yeah james, my ultimate goal is of course 'forever'. But like you, I'm not ready/able to process that yet.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You can make it happen James!!
Old 10-06-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

I got every faith in you James
Old 10-06-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to change my life James, because my old life was thoroughly drink sodden through ever layer.

It might seem extreme to you or someone else reading this, but I'm not sorry I did it. Letting go of my old life was necessary for me to find my new one

D
Old 10-06-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

James, You sound ready! We have to be disgusted with it. All the things you said in your first sentence are true - the fun is gone & it's never coming back. You don't need it - a better life is waiting for you.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by james186 View Post
I've just started reading it online.
Cool, well done. Make sure you start at the start with "The Doctors Opinion"

The guy who wrote that opinion, worked with and treated an estimated 40,000 people with various stages of problem drinking.

From the mild to the wild .... he saw them all & helped them.

Did you attend the meeting ?

Getting a perspective from people who have read the book a few times, is in my opinion, vital.

It can all be a bit much when we are fresh off the turps, in terms of fully comprehending what is actually in there (the Book).

Again ... best of luck with it all James.

A better life awaits
Old 10-07-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I had to change my life James, because my old life was thoroughly drink sodden through ever layer.

It might seem extreme to you or someone else reading this, but I'm not sorry I did it. Letting go of my old life was necessary for me to find my new one

D
My life is almost unrecognisable from what it was and I've already made massive inroads into changing it further. There are just one or two things that I still need to change. The biggest of which is obviously me.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great going james, hope all is well with your Tuesday.