Notices

Drinking is escalating

Old 10-05-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking is escalating

I am a 55 year old man that has been divorced for three years.

I drank when I was younger, before I got married, but never had a drop in 25 years of marriage.

Since I have been divorced, it started with a couple of drinks and has escalated to several times a week, drinking half a bottle a night.

I have tried numerous time to stop but can't. I will go a week or ten days, then get right back on it.

Last night, I almost drank a whole bottle of rum. I am afraid and want to quit, but I don't know what to do.

I just had my birthday and swore I was going to quit this time and used that as a milestone, but only lasted a week. This weekend I stayed drunk.

Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated. I thought about buying Declinol the clinical strength, does anyone know if it works?

Rich
Old 10-05-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Hello Rich624. Good move making the decision to quit. I suggest stop drinking, talk to your Dr., and do what you've just done, get involved in SR. There's more, but this is a good start. Do you have face-to-face support? Family, friends?
Old 10-05-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

Welcome to the posting side
My first day here I saw mention of RR and AVRT, I got hold the material and it really resonated with me.
Great first step posting , check in often read , post ,ask tons of support and experience around.
Wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 10-05-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rich

For me recovery rests on two things - finding support, and using it; and making the changes in my life that I need to to stay sober.

Some people see their Dr or a counsellor, they join a recovery programme like AA or one of the many alternatives...some do rehab (inpatient or outpatient).

Others find posting here helps.

Read around, see what others are doing...and then whatever you decide to do, give it 110%.

I have no experience with any medications or herbal concoctions for alcoholism tho, sorry

D
Old 10-05-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome SR, Rich! Good to have you. It would be wise to ask your doctor before seeking out medications. Personally I have found AVRT to work well for me, no drugs needed. The important thing isn't how you stop but that you do stop.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
p***enger

rich, good on you for deciding to post!

I started trying to quit when I was almost 50 after many years of hard drinking. I reached out here for support and have tried to listen to all the suggestions I've been given. I do believe most people need some face-to-face support especially in the early stages, to quit and stay quit -- that means real people in their lives who they can talk to about their problem with alcohol.

If you quit today, you can join the October 2014 daily group at http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-2014-a.html where other people quitting in the same month kind of "hang out" together -- it's a great way to talk to other people struggling with some of the same challenges.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to have you with us. And I ditto what everyone has said before me. We are here, and the lights are always on.

Welcome again.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Rich and welcome I am also a "newbie" to this site, sober almost a week and 64 years old. I have always believed it is never too late or too old to change your life - I drank for 10 years in my 30s, then got sober for many years, then started drinking "socially" again until it became a daily routine. Now I find myself starting all over again, but I am glad I am. This site is quickly becoming "home away from home" - awesome posts! Again welcome
Old 10-06-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Rich! You're in the right place for support and understanding. You mentioned your divorce...is that what triggered your drinking? I'm no doctor, but is depression a possibility? I wish you the best. Please keep posting. We're here for you.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Rich. Don't have much else to offer that hasn't already been said but welcome to SR.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi rich, like Susie I am new too but have immediately jumped into SR and and am finding tremendous relief in finally bring able to express my thoughts, struggles etc.. Still formulating my plan, but I would suggest hanging out in here as much as time allows while rest of your approach comes together. I'm rooting for you rich.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Rich!!
Old 10-06-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank to everyone

Thank you to everyone for replying to my original post. It is truly appreciated.

Yesterday, today and tonight, I haven't had anything to drink, but I can usually go the week without drinking. Sometimes, I have something during the week, most of the time I don't, so I have not been tested yet.

Someone asked about depression, I was depressed when I first got divorced, but I don't think that is it now. More than anything else it is loneliness and boredom. I find sitting all alone, especially on the weekends, it is tough. I will drink a little and then go to a restaurant/bar because there are people there.

I work out and that helps, and if I could find a woman, I wouldn't need the alcohol. But that is proving difficult. I am in good shape, but there isn't too much female attention for a 55 year old man.

I want to stop this lifestyle I have created for myself, no decent woman is going to want someone that gets drunk on the weekends, and I don't like the lack of self discipline I exhibit because of alcohol.

Rich
Old 10-06-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Rich, since loneliness is a problem, have you considered AA?

And as far as female attention for a 55 year old man, have you heard of George Clooney? He's 53, but he seems to do OK with the ladies.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

George Clooney

Ha ha,

Yes, I have heard of George Clooney and if I were a millionaire actor that looks like a movie star, then I probably wouldn't have posted that last one.

I would have posted:

"Gee, I sure wish there weren't actresses and models pounding on my door so I could get a moments peace"