Notices

Just an every day example....

Old 10-04-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just an every day example....

It's a Saturday morning. I slept in until 7am. Rose before my lady who's not feeling too well. A lot weighing on my mind. Worried about my job. Worried about bills and finances. Worried about my Lady who's been going through a hard time lately. It's a cold rainy day. Lot's of chores to catch up on. Lot's of commitments to keep in the weeks ahead. My daughters went back to their Mom's for the week last night - always leaves me a little glum.

So, not sure what to focus on. I'm feeling a little blue. Not too terribly blue but just a little, generally, blue.

Lots of goodness in my life. I have a great family, a wonderful Lady, beautiful children, a job (at least for now), a warm home, my health, good friends, a lot of talents, I'm sober, I'm smart, I'm caring and loving and taking steps in my life to be an ever-better person, a whole and happy person and to contribute what I can to the flow of Life.

So - I'm a little blue, but also thankful and happy. Strange sort of balance and that's actually a good summary of how I feel a LOT of days.

But today it feels a little bit of an edge and like, maybe I should do something. Take some sort of ACTION. Like maybe this would be a good day to make a tangible effort in support of my sobriety.

So - there's a really good, always-rewarding Saturday AA meeting at 9 and I'm gonna go to it. I haven't been to AA in a couple weeks. In the past several months, only a few times. But now and again I just sort of feel like it's a good day to go 'charge up the batteries' on my sobriety and be in the company of smiling good folk who understand.

No real point to this post other than to share.... because a lot of times I see folks on here struggling to get their heads around AA. Intimidated or frustrated at how it appears to work or people's opinions of how it's SUPPOSED to work.... So I thought I'd share a real-time, real-world example of how it's working for me.

I get an inkling that my sobriety, on balance, could stand a little boost. I feel a little off-center. I feel a little like I could use the energy of being around real human beings with laughter and smiles who have been down the same road as me.... and so I go to a meeting. And then I feel a little stronger. I get something. I give something. And that day, I've added another brick to the foundation of my sober, rich, full, rewarding life.

Happy Saturday everyone.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
It's a Saturday morning. I slept in until 7am. Rose before my lady who's not feeling too well. A lot weighing on my mind. Worried about my job. Worried about bills and finances. Worried about my Lady who's been going through a hard time lately. It's a cold rainy day. Lot's of chores to catch up on. Lot's of commitments to keep in the weeks ahead. My daughters went back to their Mom's for the week last night - always leaves me a little glum.

So, not sure what to focus on. I'm feeling a little blue. Not too terribly blue but just a little, generally, blue.

Lots of goodness in my life. I have a great family, a wonderful Lady, beautiful children, a job (at least for now), a warm home, my health, good friends, a lot of talents, I'm sober, I'm smart, I'm caring and loving and taking steps in my life to be an ever-better person, a whole and happy person and to contribute what I can to the flow of Life.

So - I'm a little blue, but also thankful and happy. Strange sort of balance and that's actually a good summary of how I feel a LOT of days.

But today it feels a little bit of an edge and like, maybe I should do something. Take some sort of ACTION. Like maybe this would be a good day to make a tangible effort in support of my sobriety.

So - there's a really good, always-rewarding Saturday AA meeting at 9 and I'm gonna go to it. I haven't been to AA in a couple weeks. In the past several months, only a few times. But now and again I just sort of feel like it's a good day to go 'charge up the batteries' on my sobriety and be in the company of smiling good folk who understand.

No real point to this post other than to share.... because a lot of times I see folks on here struggling to get their heads around AA. Intimidated or frustrated at how it appears to work or people's opinions of how it's SUPPOSED to work.... So I thought I'd share a real-time, real-world example of how it's working for me.

I get an inkling that my sobriety, on balance, could stand a little boost. I feel a little off-center. I feel a little like I could use the energy of being around real human beings with laughter and smiles who have been down the same road as me.... and so I go to a meeting. And then I feel a little stronger. I get something. I give something. And that day, I've added another brick to the foundation of my sober, rich, full, rewarding life.

Happy Saturday everyone.
on my long journey i have had to do just like you and still do at times, when everything around me is falling down or there is no light at the end of the tunnel i end up in an aa meeting
i get my batteries for life recharged, i go for my medicine, many times a new comer fresh off the drink will be in the meeting, then i feel i am lucky to not be like that anymore
i end up feeling grateful for what i do have left and those who love me, suddenly my day doesnt look half as bad as it once did : )
Old 10-04-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I find there is an AA meeting for every occasion. Im not really a 12 stepper, ive worked through them, but not like the super dedicated AAers. But sometimes its good to just go to a lead meeting or if I got woman issues, go to a mens meeting. Or just some sort of confusion, a general meeting. Thats why i dont like it when people knock AA, as long as you want to be sober meetings are open.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing . I get my blue days, too. Its 32F this morning in northern IL, kinda gray, might snow, not too motivated to get on the trails, seems like a good day to just chill. Just went to one of my AAs last night....the great thing about AA is that its there if I feel like I need it. I only attend a few times each week, but if I ever needed an extra meeting, they're everywhere in our county, everyday.

Have fun with your chores

Bunnez
Old 10-04-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the balance is very important in recovery.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And here's the kind of thing that happens;

A sweet little old lady celebrated her birthday and her 36 year sobriety birthday and shared touching wisdom about acceptance.

I shared about anxiety and fear, and had several others share their ESH about the same, giving me strength and relief.

I got reconnected with a guy I look up to, a distance runner 20 years my senior who I'd like to get to know and run with. Got his number and we have plans to train together.

And a smile on my face and a lightness in my heart.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

...and then today I decided to go to a meeting also.

there were two people I know there. One from my kids' school and other kids' events - another father of little girls, and one from casual acquaintance amongst a shared circle of friends.

One had recently wound up in jail - probably DUI I suppose. The other sat quietly listening and not sharing but clearly it wasn't his first time....

I gave the fellow dad-to-daughters who recently woke up in jail my number. He's 21 days in after a relapse and wake up call. I remember those days.

You never know what will unfold, who you will cross paths with, how many others in your everyday circle might also be suffering....