Notices

Left over vodka

Old 09-29-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Did it work? I know the rot gut I drink will strip rust.
Everything seems to be flowing smooth and free.

Gives a new meaning to the term "bathtub gin".
Old 09-29-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Did it work? I know the rot gut I drink will strip rust.
Don't you mean, "Used to drink?" as in past tense?
Old 09-29-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Great job Artfriend
Old 09-29-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Proud of you! I am sober one year today. The 29th is a wonderful day to stop drinking. Life is so much better sober. Did drinking yourself silly drunk ever make you feel as good about yourself as pouring that sh-t down the drain??
Old 09-29-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Best way to achieve very early sobriety is not having access to it in the house. Dump it. It will only make your life worse. Any thought of drinking or saving it is just your addiction conning you...
Old 09-29-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

You rock, Artfriend! So proud of you!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Congratulations! It's super empowering.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I think I know why I hesitate. I am going to get an argument here, but here goes:

I have had MAJOR losses in the past few years... more than I can hardly bear. Loss of family, friends, health, money, you name it. The one thing that has "been there" is the booze. I know it's not real, but it FEELS real. I know it's all "smoke and mirrors" but that is all I have at the moment. Sorry
I just read through this thread from start to finish...

On the first page of the thread Climber122's words leapt off the page and swatted me upside the head:

"Now I have real relationships with people I love instead of loving a drug"

That just resonated so very deeply for me. And then on page 2 of this thread I came across your thoughts as to why you figure that booze still holds comfort or ..answers for you.

For me, sobriety is very much about finding authentic connection and community...wherever you may find that. I spent years connected to booze...and pretty much booze alone. Real life relationships didn't seem to work very well with my alcohol relationship...and mostly, given the choice I think I prioritized and loved the latter much more...despite my lonely drunken pity parties to the contrary.

Sobriety is very much about reaching out...to me anyways; reaching out to others, reaching out of our drunken comfort zone, reaching out from under the rock and through out fears and discomfort and well..overall awkwardness and being okay with it. I think in real life..most of us are a little awkward in many ways. Most people get nervous in change and new situations...addicts or alcoholics or not.

Folks without addiction, have just become a little more accepting of discomfort or nervousness etc. ...I think. Just been something I've been gnawing on a bit lately.

So glad you poured it out ArtFriend. So glad you are staying with us...being part of community ..rather than wallowing alone in drunkeness.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:03 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Right on ArtFriend! I can so relate to booze "being there" for you/me/us. But it's a lie. I would feel good in that first few moments of getting high, but the rest of it was either a.) sloppy drunk and out of control or b.) even worse-the next morning, filled with anxiety, remorse, anxiety/panic, regret....you name it. If a friend were doing that to us, would we call them a friend? No way. That is no friend. The money, the time, the expense to our health....it's a bad, bad relationship with no upside. Kudos to you for throwing it out.