Notices

I Just Don't Get It!!!

Old 09-24-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

"No, thanks. I've had enough alcohol for several lifetimes!"
Old 09-24-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have said "I want to look my best" with a little smart a&@ smirk.

I do what I want!!! Bwaaaa!

I guesssome people just don't get it. Don't let them push you over though. Remember that it's your life and you can do what you want.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Jus
A Little Wingy

Originally Posted by AncientMariner View Post
You don't want me to have that one drink my friend...for your own sake as well as mine.

Father Ted - Henry Sellers - YouTube
Oh my gosh, this is good, haha. If only this worked in reality. I got a visual of some repeatedly, saying the same thing. "Go on, go on!" Thanks for sharing this.

"No means No!"
Old 09-25-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I used to be the one that always egged people on to have a drink because I wanted to justify my over drinking in my mind (everyone is drinking - so its not a big deal) Over the past year - even though I was still drinking - I stopped doing it - realizing that some people are dealing with their own struggles. I hate that I used to be that person!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

If anyone really digs their toes in with me these days ... I have no hesitation in getting "unspiritual" for a minute.

We are not saints

Some people just can't be told politely.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I know sometimes it’s difficult to avoid a drinking atmosphere but this is something that happened to a fellowship member. He had turned several offers for a drink down with no problem then with another offer someone else commented “He can’t drink anymore.” Not being in the OK mental attitude he “showed them.” Fortunately he was able to sober up again with difficulty.

BE WELL
Old 09-25-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
I know sometimes it’s difficult to avoid a drinking atmosphere but this is something that happened to a fellowship member. He had turned several offers for a drink down with no problem then with another offer someone else commented “He can’t drink anymore.” Not being in the OK mental attitude he “showed them.” Fortunately he was able to sober up again with difficulty. BE WELL
Oh man that sucks. It's a contagious disease!

I was leaving work last night and someone offered to buy me a drink. I said sure and turned to the barmaid and asked for a jack and coke, without the jack. The drink buyer didn't even notice. He was more concerned when I wasted half of it upon leaving (I don't drink soda much). So I said go ahead and finish it. I wonder if he noticed. I can't wait for my job interview Monday, lol!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

couple things I learned when I got sober:
who my friends are. they are the ones that don't try and push me into doing something I dootn want to do. the ones that tried to push me into doin something I don't want to doo are no longer my friends.

im allowed to stand up for myself. the response when asked about a drink is simple for the most part:
"no thanks."
when persistence comes its also very simple too say something like:
"I said im not drinkin and that's that. if ya got a problem with it then its your problem and I don't want to hear it."
or:
"sure I can take that drink but theres a high probability that the allergy I have to alcohol will come back and either you or I will break out in black eyes."

but the great thing is I don't have to allow unacceptable behavior around me today and anyone tryin to push a drink on me is unacceptable behavior.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by herradura View Post
I have been getting this a lot, as I used to be a heavy drinker. Now I just say, no,, I am good thanks. Then if they persist I say you know what, I have had about 25000 drinks and they just aren't appealing anymore. But I would like a diet pop, water etc. Have not had one person say anything after I give them the 25000 spiel. It works for now.
I have gotten the same thing from some people. That is a great come-back!
Old 09-25-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

I find that if its a non drinker you are with, it's a non issue. If it is a drinker asking or pressuring you, the answer is simple. They struggle with their own justification- as long as you're both doing it, it's ok.
Alcohol is the only drug you get judged for NOT taking.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

For most it's the way they know you............... Drinking.

Them, drinking, too.

Now I live drinkfree and a few friends less.