Notices

Got my results back

Old 09-23-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Got my results back

Inflammation of the liver, re blood test in 2 weeks and my acid is extremely low so given me tablets for that.

Anyone know what inflammation of the liver is? Am i done for?

Safe to say, i am now scarred. I thought the liver never felt pain. That is why i thought it was the galbladder.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're not done for

Again - not a doctor - but generally, with a little care and a commitment to sobriety chances are in a little while you'd never know your liver had been inflamed.

This is one of those second chances man - run with it

D
Old 09-23-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Oh brilliant Dee, i will defo run with it.....

I so hope your right, i will never touch a drop in my life.... i can feel the full right hand side swollen...
Old 09-23-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

D is correct with time in sobriety your liver will slowly heal

please stick with sobriety the time is now

running/jogging alongside you

walkman headband and everything wooooo lol

lets do this
Old 09-23-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

So inflammation is that like fatty liver, hepatitis or cirrhosis or is it different?
Old 09-23-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Looking on line inflammation is hepatitis which does not look good
Old 09-23-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Stay away from Google University. It will drive you crazy and it's wrong **% of the time
Old 09-23-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

just realise that alcohol is disgusting poison and has no place in all our lives

once you know your done with drink once you realise its not about landing on your ass again its all about staying on your feet

thats when we really start fulfilling our potential
Old 09-23-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

don't diagnose with Dr. Google.
all you will do is drive yourself crazy!!
the liver is a resilient organ.
take care of yourself, rest, eat healthy foods and most importantly....DO NOT DRINK.
this is a chance to turn it all around
Old 09-23-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My wife is a doc and she said diagnosis via the internet is impossible. There are 100 different things in play and people search knowing one or two. There is no way it can be accurate. If it were that easy, she wouldnt have went to school for 10 years. Even then diagnosing is not always easy.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here's your second chance tambdy. Stay quit before you don't get another one.

Hugs to you.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the positive responses, i am in a quiet dark place just now with worry.

At this moment in time the thought of drinking is making me feel sick with anger that i let it get to this stage.

I just hope use are right about this being my 2nd chance....
Old 09-23-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tam, I was a pill popper but my dad was an alcoholic for 30 years. When he got sick, he got really sick. Yellow, lost down to 130lbs (from 200), urine looked like apple juice. He looked like death. I think his liver function was 5-10 % or something like that. Near death. He quit and recovered in 9 months. That was 20 years ago and he is right as rain now.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredEnough View Post
Tam, I was a pill popper but my dad was an alcoholic for 30 years. When he got sick, he got really sick. Yellow, lost down to 130lbs (from 200), urine looked like apple juice. He looked like death. I think his liver function was 5-10 % or something like that. Near death. He quit and recovered in 9 months. That was 20 years ago and he is right as rain now.
Tamby, similarly here. 4 months ago I was hospitalized for alc. hepatitis/liver failure. My liver was 2x its normal size. Idk what % was still functioning, but it was in the basement. Now I am thriving, healthy and "normal", and this was only 4 months ago. I'm 33, so being young might have helped, but what a s****y way to die.

If your doctor thought your imflamation was life-threatening, you'd be an inpatient. Stop drinking, let your body heal, and it will. Your liver is a wonderful organ, but it can only take so much abuse. God bless you.

Bunnez
Old 09-23-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know someone who had liver disease from drinking. He stopped drinking and within a couple years his liver healed itself. Definitely don't drink again.

Something that really scares me is Hepatorenal syndrome. It's when your liver is shot and your kidneys begin to shut down. There is no reversing it unless you get a liver transplant, and even that doesn't always work. It's a death sentence. I thought I had this the last time I quit drinking since I was retaining tons of water, could barely pee, and had all the symptoms. I had a bunch of tests done and all that was found were small kidney stones.

After that scare I should have never drank again. I hope you don't either.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was pretty sure I had blown out my liver three weeks ago, the last time I went on a bender. I'm still not feeling 100%, but I'm better than I was on September 1. Didn't help that I came down with the flu in the meantime, but hey...that dampened the cravings even further!
Old 09-23-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Inflammation is far from cirrhosis, the reality is the body is not invincible but it can repair if given the chance!!

Focus on Sobriety and your body will do it's thing with the advice of your Dr!!
Old 09-23-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Call and ask the doctor to explain your condition and outcome. Go to the medical source for your information!!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The scary part of this whole thing about the liver...yes, it is a resilient organ....yes, some people can drink for 50 years and never have liver problems. The alcoholic brain in my head says, "Well, then, you can drink and drink and do damage and it very likely could get turned around. Down the line. When you are jaundiced and can't hold down food." It's way too tempting to think that way. And stepping back my "rational brain" says: "Who in their RIGHT MIND wants to abuse their body until just BEFORE the point of no return?" That's the insanity of it all.

The fact is, we don't know when exactly we will do too much damage to turn things around. Each person's body is different. We could get esophageal cancer, liver cancer, throat cancer, heart attack, stroke....on and on. We have to try to wake up to this very real scenario and not cling to the hope that we might be one of the "lucky ones" who can drink until they die a natural death at age 90.

I agree that finding out your liver is inflamed could be the wake-up call you need. Just don't let those who mean well and are trying to calm your fears actually give you ammunition to allow yourself to keep drinking.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I highly doubt anyone here is providing "ammunition"to anyone to keep drinking. We, who have, or know somebody who has been through a major health crisis involving alcohol are simply sharing our experiences. I do not downplay what I went through or use the fact that I survived it as an excuse to call myself a "lucky one" and justify continued alcohol use. My story is not meant to calm fears, either. Its my experience and life lesson.

Bunnez