Notices

Got my results back

Old 09-23-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Bunnezjp....in no way did I mean to disregard the value of sharing life experiences. And maybe "ammunition" was the wrong word. I also most definitely am not pointing out any particular person or information.

It is no secret that alcoholics, myself included, have a genius way of rationalizing drinking or coming up with reasons we can keep drinking. I, personally, have checked the signs of liver damage online. "No yellowing of the eyes?" "Nope, not feeling any discomfort under my right ribs." "Oh, my blood tests don't show liver damage." Well, then, I can keep drinking. Oh, I'll just stop when my body shows some damage. After all, my dad is 81 and has been a livelong alcoholic. Maybe I've inherited that cast iron liver. But maybe not.

I've just gone through these mental shenanigans so often that I thought maybe others might be able to relate.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey Tam,

I had the same diagnosis at 32 about a year ago. I know how scary it is. All we can do is start doing positive things for our body and stop actively damaging our body now.

No more drinkining. Ever.

My doctor fave me the news and set me free off to live my life. Even as I walked out out to my car afterwards I thought, so this is it? It's really up to me now. No more denying. No more negotiating. No more wondering if I was damaging myself.

I found it interesting that all of my other numbers from the labs were normal. That almost made me want to continue drinking a little longer. Only a little bit right? Nope.

If I drank after that it was all on me. No more excuses. In fact if I chose to drink myself to death after that diagnosis then it was completely my fault. I like that saying that we are given the gift of desperation. We may want to keep drinking but we also want to live. We can't have both.

For me, I think I know my health will be okay as long as I don't drink anymore. I think you will be okay too as long as you stop now.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

BottleBlond, I agree with what you're saying. "Others have gotten cirrhosis and come back, so I oughta be fine..." says AV. Crazy, isn't it. "You didn't lose your job yet", "You didn't lose your house yet", "You're not in jail".
Yep, we alcoholics can rationalize pretty darn well.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Hi guys again thanks for all the responses, so there was 2 test which alarmed the doctor my ALT and something which he never showed me... My ALT was 68 when back in January is was 19.... He says that if it was his he would be concerned that he needs to slow down\stop but would not be losing any sleep over it.

I think the reason i am panicking is i have pain under left rib, kidney pain and also a urine track infection(which i think is down to my constipation) I am hoping if i stay sober all this will sort itself out, i will be getting bloods tests again in 2 weeks then a scan and a scope to check my barretts.

If all the pain stops and i get the all clear trust me i won't go back down the route of drinking, i hate it.... I just want the pains to go away and not sleep for 15 hours a day and still be tired as this is worrying me.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Originally Posted by BottleBlond View Post
Bunnezjp....in no way did I mean to disregard the value of sharing life experiences. And maybe "ammunition" was the wrong word. I also most definitely am not pointing out any particular person or information.

It is no secret that alcoholics, myself included, have a genius way of rationalizing drinking or coming up with reasons we can keep drinking. I, personally, have checked the signs of liver damage online. "No yellowing of the eyes?" "Nope, not feeling any discomfort under my right ribs." "Oh, my blood tests don't show liver damage." Well, then, I can keep drinking. Oh, I'll just stop when my body shows some damage. After all, my dad is 81 and has been a livelong alcoholic. Maybe I've inherited that cast iron liver. But maybe not.

I've just gone through these mental shenanigans so often that I thought maybe others might be able to relate.
I in no way will think like this, i am done with the drink that i can guarantee.

I am just worried all the pains all over my body at spleen area, kidney area etc are something more serious.... Maybe it is them just returning to normal after all the drink.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Originally Posted by PolarBlue View Post
I know someone who had liver disease from drinking. He stopped drinking and within a couple years his liver healed itself. Definitely don't drink again.

Something that really scares me is Hepatorenal syndrome. It's when your liver is shot and your kidneys begin to shut down. There is no reversing it unless you get a liver transplant, and even that doesn't always work. It's a death sentence. I thought I had this the last time I quit drinking since I was retaining tons of water, could barely pee, and had all the symptoms. I had a bunch of tests done and all that was found were small kidney stones.

After that scare I should have never drank again. I hope you don't either.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I was worried about this as well as getting pains at spleen and kidneys too... I guess it might just be the organs returning to normal. Well i hope it is.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

That's my unltrasound done and the liver is normal size, i have no galstones either. So it is back to the drawing bored to why i get the pain on the right hand side, constant sore heads and itchy skin.

He did say this only checks there is no changes in the liver but not the function etc.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

doctor google is fun......but trust me....he is the worst case scenerio. I've 3 autoimmune diseases...I should be dead..I'm not. My son is living with cancer and autism, he's 12 now. he is ok. but if I decided our lives by google, we'd be buried.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

My father is a recovering alcoholic for the past 18 years, and I had the pleasure of seeing him literally on his deathbed from complete liver failure (eyes, skin and fingernails yellow) and a major bleeding ulcer. The doctors thought he was done and had called my mother to let her know so she could see him before he died. He had been on a "trip" with his buddy so we had to fly down to Texas to see him in a hospital bed. I thought he was dying for sure.
Somehow he made it, cleaned himself up (after a few attempts) and he's been clean for years. My parents are happy again and he's generally healthy at 72 years old.
Go figure.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Tam, I think you should take your doctors advice, don't stress too much, don't drink, eat well and get some sunshine. :-)
Old 09-25-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

I do agree i won't be searching Dr google anymore but the pain, constant sore heads and being tired all the time must be something?

I guess the tiredness and sore heads could be down to my body getting used to no alcohol but the pains?
Old 09-25-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we underestimate the stress we put on mind and body as drinkers.

I also know, when I quit, I feared it was too late...I became morbidly obsessed with my health and every ache and pain.

You've seen the Dr, he doesn't seem to think there's a problem...so try and relax

You'd be amazed at how much anxiety can manifest itself as physical symptoms.

D
Old 09-26-2014, 01:36 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Dude my liver is somewhat inflamed and my enzymes are slightly high, Dr told me that if I stop the booze it will all go back to normal

Your not done for pal just drop the bottle and let yourself heal
Old 09-26-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Thanks guys, your right the pain has subsided today. Getting pains in my bowel but i think this is down to my constipation, and i have lost a lot of weight but i guess that is down to no appetite.

Onwards and upwards, if i can sort this constipation out and lack of energy i will be good. I always thought the constipation was down to being de hydrated by the drink but off drink 2 weeks now and still full to the gunnells
Old 09-26-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Try lactulose for constipation I used it for my kids
Old 09-26-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
LDT

Tambdy..... I was in bad shape...had all the symptoms you had.... My blood work and other tests were dismal.....But I completely turned my liver health around by quitting drinking and embracing clean eating....also exercise.... I did what my doctor suggested ( which was to quit drinking) but also took it a step further and became very proactive in my own health. The liver is an amazing regenerative organ. Don't despair.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good luck tambdy. Sounds like you are already doing better. I was diagnosed with fatty liver from heavy, non stop drinking years ago. Quit drinking heavy liquor but ramped up on beer and wine thinking that was not as bad.

Had 9 months sober last year and am currently back on 81 days today. My full blood results came back two days ago all clean. So much so that my doc told me to start having a glass of wine with dinner to help with one other test result. I told him thanks but I would find another way to lower my cholesterol. Lol...

Just dont drink and try not to stress. You've got a second chance, run with life!

Best wishes!
Old 09-26-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

The tiredness and lethargy are common, I'm just coming through that phase now after 70 odd days.

Drink plenty of water, it helps flush the toxins and gives the kidneys and liver an easier time of it.

Constipation is common too, any changes to fluid intake can upset those things and if you have stopped drinking booze, again plenty of water. Fruit like pears or apricots are good, tinned or fresh, doesn't seem to matter.

Vitamin B is recommended, I take a multi as well just to be sure.

If you can fit in mild exercise, do it, but don't over do it.

There are liver tonic preparations available too. Dessicated liver tablets are awesome. It's like fertiliser for your actual liver. Get doctors advice of course before commencing.

Hope that helps
Old 09-29-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Hi guys,

feeling much better, the pains in the right and left under the rib are still a bit sore but feeling much better. Also mentally i can feel myself getting better, if this constipation lifter i would be great but trying everything just now to no prevail.

I did buy alcohol on Saturday and debated drinking it. I eventually threw it out, all steps in the right direction i guess.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Your DR will tell you if it's serious or not. Avoid google! And stay away from alcohol. Let your body heal itself and work on repairing your mind!