Notices

Going to First AA meeting have a question

Old 09-22-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
True strength lies within

Going to First AA meeting have a question

Im planning on going to my first AA meeting in the city where i live.. was always paranoid i would bump into someone i know..anyways the meeting happens to be at my church ( how ironic) and it is a womens meeting. When i looked it up it said it was a " topic " meeting. What exactly does that mean. Im scared to death ! But i think this is definately a sign,,being at my church and all .

Five days sober today ,, and loving it.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

It's great that you are going to the meeting! You will almost certainly have a positive experience.

"Topic Meeting" probably means that one person will bring up a topic relating to sobriety; and then others in the group will share their experience, strength, and hope on that topic.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope that you'll tell us how your meeting went!

I've found so much support at AA... & especially enjoy women's meetings, there is so much I can relate to. We only have one women's meeting weekly here, the rest are mixed male & female.

I think it's great that it is in a place you already have comfort with. I used to worry also that people would see me, but at this point, I'm just proud of myself for being willing to grow as a human being & take my power back. That can only be a win for my whole community!

Congratulations on your bravery.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thought about bumping into someone I know too if I go this Thursday, but then I figured what are they there for? I hope it goes well for you.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

I'm so happy for you!! Churches are the Lord's house so where else better to go & seek healing from broken past? My church that I left when moved here didn't have any recovery mtgs when was active member(maybe there are now but don't know) however, did have mtgs for divorce for example. Don't be scared bout seeing someone who might recognize you. I'd rather be known for taking steps(pun definitely intended) to improve my life & thus be seen walking around on Sundays with a smile on my face & changed attitude rather than folks gossiping(you're right) about me all the time shaking their heads what an alki I am! Especially that your female, should be a lot easier so report back after that mtg & tell us the "juicy" details... Bwahahaha!!!
Best wishes
Old 09-23-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words ! Im terrified,,literally,, but i know in order to make a change ,,this must be done. And ya gotta think,,what are the odds it turns out to be at my church,,the universe is definately pointing to me in that direction. I will let you all know how it went !
Old 09-23-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

5 Days is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck maribell and congrats on 5 days
Old 09-23-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The only thing we have to fear is, fear itself.

Besides.... It's in a church, so there is zero chance that you'll be attending one of the "Vampire Sect" AA meetings.

You gotta watch out for those ones.... (jokes)

Seriously, you'll be fine. My first meeting I met a woman who looked and talked just like my Mum.

I couldn't believe it.... I was a raging 28 year old alcoholic, covered in tattoos, missing teeth, beat up old wreck of a car...... but how could this immaculately dressed, lovely looking lady who stepped out of a Mercedes be anything like me??

Well she was, until she found AA and turned her life around completely.

Hope that helps, be well
Old 09-23-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Maribell,

Good for you recognizing and reaching out for help!!! Awesome!
Great start

Topic/open discussion as opposed to a study session = big book study(AA Book) etc.
As topic is suggested or the Chairman selects something and folks share. You may choose to introduce yourself or simply sit quietly and listen. Common either way.

Yes, bumping into someone. I had the same trepidation - Sponsor told me early on, when you admit your an alcoholic it's unanimous. I told my wife I was considering AA, but if I go - everyone will know I have a problem........She laughed and said, honey they already know......

We are not unique! Many among us......

Keep your courage, and be strong cause = YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went to my first one last night with ladies From my church.. Ladies only.. They all told me how they for there and then in thought I would say something but I cried more then talk... Still did though!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-23-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

People don't go to AA meetings because they don't have anything else to do. If by some remote chance there is someone you know they are there for the same reason you are.

In reality it would be a very good thing because you would have a connection to another alcoholic from square one
Old 09-23-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Let us know how it went.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well people,, all i can say,, the minute i walked in the door , i felt welcomed. It is at my church,,which made it all the easier. It is a all womens meeting..and i felt i connected right away. I basically sat and listened,,they did ask me if i wanted to share and i politely declined,, just not ready yet, just being there was enough and very overwhelming. I broke down literally a few times, think i used up a entire box of kleenex. At the end ,,i got some hugs,, and wonderful lady from my church was there,, this really gave me peace , and i know after this and the support i recieved from my first meeting, for the first time i have hope that i can beat this deadly disease. They gave me a list of people i can call for support or just to tall. This is definately what i need as i have never had support or been able to talk to anyone openly about my drinking. It feels like a tremedous weight has been lifted. Feeling very blessed !
Old 09-25-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Happy days!!!!

Welcome home, from one alcoholic to another
Old 09-25-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Your church AND a women's meeting! Couldn't get much better unless a golden chariot came to fetch ya : )

When I walked into my first meeting (after an unsuccessful attempt many moons ago), first person I saw was a guy who drove me home from a bar about 25 years ago. I went to AA the FIRST time after that particular night. He was the meeting Chair.

I quietly took my seat...trying to render myself invisible and THEN..a gal I used to go to highschool with sat right down beside me.

After touring a bunch of other meetings, I went back to the familiar faces and made them my homegroup. It was the first one...and by far, the best one. Seeing a couple familiar faces was as good an omen as any.