Notices

Confirmation Bias

Old 09-14-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, and I mean that literally.

You have all helped me arrive at this old piece of wisdom

"You can help some of the people, some of the time, but you can't help all of the people all of the time"

So that's where I'm at with this .... for now
Old 09-14-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by whalebelow2 View Post
In short, yes.

I give freely of my time to answer peoples questions, so it does annoy me that they ask, seemingly open minded, but all they wanted was bias confirmation.

I'm not sure how I will ever be OK with that.

Even Yoda used to get peeved with Luke's self sabotaging, whining & pointless questions

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away albeit.
Whalebelow your not yoda not by a longshot

saying newcomers are whining and asking pointless questions while comparing them to jedis in training is both weird and foolish like seriously
have you not noticed a pattern

i could go really in on you the way you are with others but that would make me just like you and i really dont want that

and it might harm your sobriety you just dont see it do you ?
Old 09-14-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Hmmmm can you confirm this? As within so without right. I caught myself in a severe case of selection bias. I used to call it synchronicity. It's a normal thing to do. Understanding it means you can use it to your advantage.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just to be clear SW, I don't think I'm Yoda.

I can empathise with the little fellas frustrations though.

I'm working through this stuff. Its all learning.

If you have something to say, fire away.

Hopefully I'll learn from that too.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Whale below - why do you post on SR?

Bias and the placebo effect are real. But we are not doing double blind studies for efficacy of drugs.

I think there is awareness that one can develop in understand ones own motives in asking questions that is useful.

I use SR to share my experience, hope and strength. I use it to provide a solution that was shown and taught to me. I use it to challenge my own thinking, as I often need real accountability, as I can get too into the World according to JDooner. I have found in the past year plus that SR has been an excellent tool for all of these and I have made some real friendships in the process.

Most of my posts have some bias. This has changed and lessened over time. I find the responses that **** me off the most are often the ones that I need the most.
Ahhhhh, just saved me a whole lot of typing........people ask questions here they know the answers to, hoping those in need will answer them for themselves. Nobody likes to be told what to do, and in fact, it doesn't work. Questions are asked so that people can answer, and then feel vested, in the answers.....
Old 09-14-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Misunderstood - thanks Dee.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Hmmmm can you confirm this? As within so without right. I caught myself in a severe case of selection bias. I used to call it synchronicity. It's a normal thing to do. Understanding it means you can use it to your advantage.
Sneaky ... getting me to see I'm inwardly a seething little ball of frustration, wrapped in self righteousness.

Oh the humanity.

I guess that is one of the joys of this journey of self discovery.

Learn to laugh at myself and I'll never be left un-amused.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Yoda was the 'little fella' in question here

D
Old 09-14-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am sorry to be posting this in somebody else's thread, however I am new to the site and really wanting/almost desperate to find how to post a thread from my iPhone about my situation and my ex therapists views on my situation?

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 09-14-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
WB - I actually appreciate your contributions - at least in the 12 step Forum. However, you should be really careful of your own mindset in my experience. "Little Fellas," implies you are both above and bigger than others. This suggests an over inflated ego, which I know our shared program frowns upon. It also suggests self righteous ideation.

This might be what you need to learn?
Yes, more learning. I used the term as colloquial affection though.

But as Yoda said "Judge me by my size do you?"

Oh dear !

Thanks Jdooner.

I really opened a can of whoop ass on myself .

Peeling the layers of the onion eh ? So far no tears, maybe that'll come later.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Amireally85, not sure with the iphone but do you see a new thread icon on it? That would be what you need.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Do your best

Whalebelow its not so much as ive got something to say its just i think you havnt really got any place to say anything your not even 2 months sober your going around basically saying this is how you do it

and it hasnt worked out has it ? you relapsed and your trying again right ? and heres the point

im not here to criticise you just try to remember some ppl dont want what aa offer they seek something else some ppl seek both some ppl seek none some ppl never make it

for the ppl that make it here i think the best thing is to just be kind be polite be undestanding turn the other cheek etc be a nice person

you definatly think your yoda with the whole emphasis line

your ego will kill you if you let it
Old 09-14-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by AmIReally85 View Post
I am sorry to be posting this in somebody else's thread, however I am new to the site and really wanting/almost desperate to find how to post a thread from my iPhone about my situation and my ex therapists views on my situation?

Hi amIreally

I don't have an Iphone I'm afraid.
If you want to post your question here I can move it to a new thread tho

D
Old 09-14-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I am sorry to be posting this in somebody else's thread, however I am new to the site and really wanting/almost desperate to find how to post a thread from my iPhone about my situation and my ex therapists views on my situation? Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Looks like you are using the Sober Recovery app for iPhone.
You should see a button in the lower left corner of the screen labelled "forums". Use this to navigate to the forum you want to post in. The compose button is in the upper right corner and looks like a box with an arrow. It should give you the option to create a new thread.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for that Orn - adding to my records

D
Old 09-14-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Do your best

Whaleblow do you believe in coincidence i found this qouted post divine intervention
Old 09-14-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

About a month ago I was annoyed with a poster who I felt kept introducing religion into conversations at any opportunity. I thought..do you really think you are going to cause me to throw my hands up in the air and run out my front door yelling I've found God?" (BTW it was not the OP ). Then I realized that this poster was simply unable to see that others may have a different perspective. There was no harmful intent, it was simply enthusiasm run amok.

I always want to ask the guys in Time Square who stand on boxes if they have ever converted anyone. I have to give them an A for effort. I mean seriously, that is some hardcore commitment. I think we can cross a line and feel that anyone who does not see it through our eyes is simply uniformed. I am guilty of it when it comes to politics. I have been adamant, crystal clear about someone's viability as a candidate, only to be proved wrong when they are elected. But we do need to make decisions…and sometimes it might not be right, it simply might be less wrong.

It is important to be passionate about anything that matters to you, especially something that has obviously enhanced your life in such a dramatic way. However, religion/spirituality is a very touchy subject with most people. I don't mean to be flippant, but I don't connect sobriety and spirituality. I know people who do connect the two, however, people whom I respect very much. If there was anything that might cause me to pause and think I might have this wrong I can assure you it would never be because of a post about spirituality. Rather, it would likely be because I saw someone who was secure, gentle and kind, someone who I felt possessed something I would like to have.

I think the thing about spirituality is that it is most convincing when it is not being mentioned at all.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by whalebelow2 View Post
Just to be clear SW, I don't think I'm Yoda.

I can empathise with the little fellas frustrations though.

I'm working through this stuff. Its all learning.

If you have something to say, fire away.

Hopefully I'll learn from that too.
Fire....
God complex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fire... (it's the tedtalk on this site)
http://www.economistsdoitwithmodels....ed-talk/:a043:
Old 09-14-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I realized my post was not constructive and deleted it. Sorry to those who responded.

Last edited by LBrain; 09-14-2014 at 07:02 PM. Reason: second thoughts
Old 09-14-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
About a month ago I was annoyed with a poster who I felt kept introducing religion into conversations at any opportunity. I thought..do you really think you are going to cause me to throw my hands up in the air and run out my front door yelling I've found God?" (BTW it was not the OP ). Then I realized that this poster was simply unable to see that others may have a different perspective. There was no harmful intent, it was simply enthusiasm run amok.

I always want to ask the guys in Time Square who stand on boxes if they have ever converted anyone. I have to give them an A for effort. I mean seriously, that is some hardcore commitment. I think we can cross a line and feel that anyone who does not see it through our eyes is simply uniformed. I am guilty of it when it comes to politics. I have been adamant, crystal clear about someone's viability as a candidate, only to be proved wrong when they are elected. But we do need to make decisions…and sometimes it might not be right, it simply might be less wrong.

It is important to be passionate about anything that matters to you, especially something that has obviously enhanced your life in such a dramatic way. However, religion/spirituality is a very touchy subject with most people. I don't mean to be flippant, but I don't connect sobriety and spirituality. I know people who do connect the two, however, people whom I respect very much. If there was anything that might cause me to pause and think I might have this wrong I can assure you it would never be because of a post about spirituality. Rather, it would likely be because I saw someone who was secure, gentle and kind, someone who I felt possessed something I would like to have.

I think the thing about spirituality is that it is most convincing when it is not being mentioned at all.
I loved this post

especially the last sentence