Notices

Confirmation Bias

Old 09-14-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Whale, I have been reading this thread and have been trying to figure out the real reason behind it. Clearly, you want to help. Maybe your a bit over zealous though? If people don't respond to your advice, it doesn't mean that they didn't take it in. And you have no idea the number of people who read but don't post. I took a lot in before ever making my first post. You may be reaching someone and have no idea that you did.

I find that most people respond first to being heard or in this case, read. Sometimes, that is what is needed most. And a gentle hand with newcomers is needed. You have a lot of tools in your shed. You don't always need to use a hammer.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I can see now I have been carrying a hammer & consequently everything looks like a nail.

Thanks Sprout, startling insight.

No more hammering for me
Old 09-14-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

In short, yes.

I give freely of my time to answer peoples questions, so it does annoy me that they ask, seemingly open minded, but all they wanted was bias confirmation.

I'm not sure how I will ever be OK with that.

if you ever really WANT to be okay with that, WB, then practicing is a good way to get there.
i've been sober quite a while, and have spent years on forums. yes, people who are new and desperate often present as willing to do whatever is required or suggested or advised. and then it turns out that no, they didn't really mean "whatever", just "whatever but with many exceptions".
i expect when a person's desperate they're not entirely aware of how what they say comes across. i also expect that in desperation , at that moment, they mean "anything" when they say "anything".
i take that to mean that at the time they write, they genuinely want to stop. by the time your response gets there, they be in a slightly different "space" already, and have several reservations already about what they're prepared to do. certainly that would have been true for me.

i used to get frustrated and feel what i was offering, which i thought was good stuff, was being rejected by people who hadn't been clear in their original request for help. grrr. i wasted my time and advice. grrrr. sucks. not doing that again!!

what i came to see and understand, though, was that i can offer what i have to offer and let go of what the other does with it, if anything at all. i can give, and whether it's taken or thrown away is neither up to me nor need concern me.
i've come to a point where that feels good and right. and that point also includes not responding, when i'm not sure i'm dis-connecting from the outcome.
none of this means that i'm not wanting to 'help', or that i'm not hoping i'm offering/adding something of use and yeah, i'm interested in seeing a positive outcome, but i can't be invested in it.
it's....well, think of posts as gifts: free. no strings attached. here: it's yours, do with it as you see fit.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Brilliant advice, Thanks fini
Old 09-14-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Whaleblow do you believe in coincidence i found this qouted post divine intervention
I did see it. Mysterious ways.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

what i came to see and understand, though, was that i can offer what i have to offer and let go of what the other does with it

D
Old 09-14-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thread of the week for me by far
Old 09-14-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Fire... (it's the tedtalk on this site)
http://www.economistsdoitwithmodels....ed-talk/:a043:
silentrun is it this ted talk? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UXlt7-aa4E? I had a hard time searching on the website but thanks for the link -- she looks interesting.

This is beautiful, thanks fini:
think of posts as gifts: free. no strings attached. here: it's yours, do with it as you see fit.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Thread of the week for me by far
And it's only Monday.

What's in store when the whale blows next week.

Stay tuned
Old 09-14-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

you guys are making me cry. almost.
sniff.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
p***enger

No tears here -- I'm because I just confirmed my bias in favor of SR!
Old 09-14-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
silentrun is it this ted talk? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UXlt7-aa4E? I had a hard time searching on the website but thanks for the link -- she looks interesting.

This is beautiful, thanks fini:
Tim Harford: Trial, error and the God complex | Talk Video | TED.com
He talks about the tendency to believe we have the answer to complex questions and how that can keep us from considering another viewpoint. Guilty!!!!!!!! When I stopped doing that it was a huge relief. I think I see WB doing that too. Takes one to know one.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Trudgin

If many of us were together drinking in a bar during times past, agreement could be each quickly on some topics. Ie - let's get really drunk, no I promise I ok to drive and hey - it's your round.

Get a few sober people together and they will argue about the existence of God, over methods of recovery and what's best for virtual online reality.

We are truly a passionate, critical and compassionate lot wrapped into ism and Ick's!
And sooooo sensitive!

Peace
Old 09-14-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
EndGame

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Haircut.jpg (39.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 09-15-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I know that when I come to SR I am looking for answers, inspiration, camaraderie and hope (yes I do know "hope is not a strategy") and I know I am not smart enough to post "loaded" questions. But i can say that if I am in a bad place and this disease...addiction is getting the best of me I do appreciate any and all guidance from peeps that are more seasoned than I in this elusive path of sobriety I am desperately seeking.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

A thread about confirmation bias seems an appropriate place to post this.

I just ran across a quote by Richard Feynman that I liked. I was struck by how similar it is to one by Dr. Bob.

"It is necessary, for the existence of science, that minds exist which do not allow that nature must satisfy some preconceived condition like those of our philosophy." Richard Feynman (1964)

Tolerance furnishes, as a by-product, a greater freedom from the tendency to cling to preconceived ideas and stubbornly adhered-to opinions. In other words, it often promotes an open-mindedness that is vastly important - is, in fact, a prerequisite to the successful termination of any line of search, whether it be scientific or spiritual. Dr. Bob (1944)