Notices

Not sure if I am welcome here.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Not sure if I am welcome here.

Hello, call me mud,

I've recently relapsed for a month or two after 15 months of solo abstinence.

I am a complete atheist and have zero interest in anyone's religiosity.

I've binged drank on an off since the age of 15. I am now 28.

It's at the point now that I either will hand over my mind and liver to the drink or change my ways and represent the truths that I claim to hold as important.

I smoke pot around twenty times per year and I have no interest in changing that pattern. The drunk me is full of rage and resentment for how I've been wronged in life, the stoned me feels at one with the universe. The alter ego's are complete opposites.

It is not so much "sobriety" that I seek but complete abstinence from alcohol.

I wish to make manifest my will to not drink alcohol ever again.

Take care, thanks for reading this.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

go away, I mean go away with yourself man. EVERYONE IS WELCOME HERE. They even took me.

mud, there is quite a variety of folks here for a variety or reasons. The one thing we all have in common is that we want to stop harming ourselves. If this is you, then welcome.

It doesn't matter what your beliefs or non-beliefs are. The only thing you must believe in is that you need to do something to make your life better.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Anyone is welcome here Mud. No specific religion is required or advocated either, there are folks from all walks of life.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum Mud.
Being religious is not a requirement here or for any recovery. There is many non religious support systems. I am 31 and had the same vicious cycle since about 14 or 15 also. I had 90 days and fell off but am back. I can relate a lot to you. I consider myself more agnostic. However, I really do like the serenity prayer or daily affirmation whatever you want to call it. Really helps me put my addiction and life into perspective.

Give us the serenity to accept what cannot be changed,
The courage to change what can be changed,
and the wisdom to know the one from the other.

Check out AVRT or SMART. AA is good even if you are not religious. Wish you the best with your program.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Excellent, thanks for the welcome.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

letitgo, the town I live in is tiny and the individuals at AA are quite religious. From my understanding SMART and AVRT require a straight edge lifestyle, perhaps I was mistaken.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are welcome here There are other atheists, agnostics, and seculars here, you'll see. All programs and types of recovery are welcome here.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, mudfall.

Really, every "program" is yours to do as you wish. No one has the right to tell you how to do your sobriety/abstinence/whatever-you-want-to-call-it.

Hang around here, you don't even need a formal program. Lots of people (me included) use a variety of tools and a little bit from a lot of sources. People have stopped drinking for eons. It's not rocket surgery I just don't drink alcohol. Simples.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mud,

Its your life and program. If you want to smoke pot 20 times a year its your choice. (no judgment by me) However, if alcohol is killing you then the best thing to do is to stay away for good. I just hope you don't let the pot become a gateway back to drinking.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome mud

No problem at all being an atheist and, as long as you remember that some of us are here for problems with pot, everything should be fine

D
Old 09-13-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome mud! We are all on the same bus here...and are from all walks of life and have many differences. What we have in common is wanting to help ourselves and each other to abstain from alcohol.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Much appreciated everyone and I will keep that in mind D.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome mudfall - glad to meet you.

I drank all my life & felt instantly relieved when I joined this group. Finally I had people to talk to who really understood - no one in my life could relate. Not feeling alone was very important & I found the courage I needed to quit.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the board, Mudfall. I am a mess, yet I am welcome here and so thankful. I have become a collector of sober days - sometimes as many as 20 or as few as 1 or 2.. or none. What seems to matter most here is the fervent DESIRE to be sober. I believe and am a quiet Christian but love and accept everyone as they are and look forward to sharing our common concerns and painful addictions. You are so not alone.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Of course you are welcome! Glad you are here. Look forward to seeing you around.

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-13-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's fine to be an atheist here at SR

I was atheist at 28 too.

I'm not anymore though and I have stopped drinking and drugging.

I swapped one for the other and IMHO.... It's pretty darn wonderful.

Your mileage may vary.

Welcome.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome, mudfall. Almost one month without the alcohol here! The community of SR really helped because I could not do it alone. Believe me, I tried a hundred times to quit by myself. I've found that I belong. You do, too.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome, Mudfall! It's good to have you here with us at SR.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This place is all about community and support..no bible or Big Book required.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your 15 sober months. Ill bet you learnt a lot about the goodness of living alcohol free during that time.

Ill bet you also learnt that you can do it!

Like you, I sometimes smoke a small amount of pot. It's gotten less and less and less over the years. I really find less desire to have things that cloud my perspective and awareness of life in any way, and Incan see that it may just fade altogether. I am a bit wary, too, that allowing any sort of substance in my life could create a weak link in my sobriety. Out if respect for others who struggle with powerful addiction to pot - I don't talk much about it here. I focus on my real struggle; alcohol. I share this with you now simply to say you're not alone. And to offer you my own personal experience of caution as to the potential relationship between alcohol and 'other stuff'. But you won't be judged. We are all here to help one another live happier, healthier, more full and joyful lives free of the addictions that are weighing us down and killing us gradually.