Notices

Relapse after 1 week sober

Old 09-14-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse after 1 week sober

But I really learned something. The sober week was amazing, I excersised, spent time with the kids and by the end of the week - slept like a baby. I even lost 2 pounds and started feeling less bloated. I have gotten a personal trainer who helps me get started in the gym, and for the first time going to the gym is fun. Was tricked by AV that I could have just a little wine with the steak. Bad move. I never want to feel like this again, I feel really done with alcohol. Feeling good is a very good motivator!
Old 09-14-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If I replay the tape of that first drink in my head, it's usually enough to stop me.

Try to think about what all was going through your mind when you went to pick up. Make sure you learn something from every slip. It sounds a little corny, but it's worked for me. I'm in a similar situation at 10 days.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great work at the gym. A trainer might tell you can have a "cheat day" once a week where you drink or eat what you want.

But unfortunately an alcoholic can't have a "cheat day" when it come to drinking.

get back in the race & whip the **** out of the gym.

Good luck

Last edited by Dee74; 09-14-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Every relapse is part of recovery. Sometimes it takes a few relapses to realize alcohol does nothing good for you. Once you get a few months, it gets easier, and you can come to terms about the fact you shouldn't drink. Keep trying.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

JasonNorth, actually that is what he told me, but I need to focus on the eating and not the drinking. Actually the drinking caused me to eat less, so I wasted my only day when I could have had a treat and drank instead.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just recall the feeling of the night and morning after. The end never justifies the means. I cant just have 1 drink. i need numerous drinks. I wish I could have a few and turn it off but i am not built that way. Being hungover, tired, sick, stressed, anxious, dehydrated and depressed is not worth it for me. The buzz is not fun when you cant stop or need more. Thanks for coming back and good luck.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is really hard to realize that I canīt drink like normal people. I can manage one glass, if I drink it really slow..but if I drink it quick the monster awakens...
Old 09-14-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Laura567 View Post
It is really hard to realize that I canīt drink like normal people.
I think you already have a lot of hard evidence that you can't drink like normal people, no? We all do. The real problem is accepting it (that we can't drink like normal people). How you go about doing it varies, some use AA, some recognize their AV, some use a religious faith, some use therapy, and there are many more. But once you accept it, you can move forward without the daily fight of somehow trying to moderate/rationalize drinking.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Many of us alcoholics forget that we canNOT drink alcohol in safety and by doing so can end up in a catastrophic event and it happens a lot! Our minds are somehow built to forget the pain we endured drinking and encourages us to believe it will be different this time. Insanity!
If a relapse occurs our sterling mind might say after sobering up for a week or two, that wasn’t so bad I made it back and maybe I can..

Fill in the blank space.
Just remember Cunning, Powerful and Baffling!

BE WELL
Old 09-14-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

. Feeling good is a very good motivator!
Yes it is. However that morning after hangover is not a bad one either. I did as you did a couple of times. Sure seems like those headaches and all the other that goes along with hangovers are worse when you haven't had one for a few days.

You learned a valuable lesson. The next time (and there will be a next time) that AV comes a calling you will be ready.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Dust yourself off

What can you do diffrent this time definatly no alcohol there is no moderation

good luck
Old 09-14-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

JasonNorth, actually that is what he told me, but I need to focus on the eating and not the drinking. Actually the drinking caused me to eat less, so I wasted my only day when I could have had a treat and drank instead.
well that's cool. & you've learned lesson.

& the trainer is being paid for by your drinking money.

win:win!
Old 09-14-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is really hard to realize that I canīt drink like normal people. I can manage one glass, if I drink it really slow..but if I drink it quick the monster awakens...
The good news is that you are not alone in this. There are millions of people who can't drink "like normal people." Accepting this will help speed your healthy recovery.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great work on the week sober. Get back on the horse and keep moving forward!
Old 09-14-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I also realized that I must move forward, dwelling in the past and all the stupid things I have done does me no good. I usually would feel like hell for being a bad mother et c, but this time I will accept my past and focus on the future. Living in the past just makes me want to drink to forget. I am not helping my kids by dwelling, the only this is to focus on staying sober and all the good times that will come. Thanks for all you encouraging replies!
Old 09-14-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Every relapse is part of recovery
I beg to differ. Relapse is part of addiction, not recovery.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Go at things again Laura!!

Tweak your plan, and you'll get there!!