Notices

I could not care less

Old 09-13-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm with Hevyn. I don't understand that attitude. It appears to me that what your doing works for you. I think that's what counts when it comes to sobriety and recovery. Hopefully he will see that one day and, you'll be friends again.

My journey has just started. This forum is the only source of help I've gotten so far. It's working for me. I enjoy and have learned a lot from reading your posts and, reading your words of encouragement. Congratulations on your 14 months.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Soberwolf, it is so nice that we all have each other on SR to learn, see different perspectives, and get a better understanding of others journey (not to mention support!). As humans, non of us know many actual truths. Most of us know the basic truths like Love creates while Negativity destroys but the more complicated things like faith and the many variables in recovery are still full of unknowns. I live in the bible-belt and know very few people who are not Christian or Muslim.. most of the time when they find out that I am more like a hopeful agnostic they tend to look down at me and try to "help me". I haven't realized it until now (because it doesn't happen too often) but it pretty much seems the same dynamic.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
waking down

This may sound a little harsh, especially because I love so many of the people here on SR, but my experience in the 3D world has been that people with substance abuse problems can be (not always but CAN be) very difficult, needy, selfish, and/or unpredictable.

For that matter, PEOPLE can be very difficult, needy, selfish, and/or unpredictable.

I gravitated to partiers most of my life. Now that I'm sober I am mostly repelled by them (unless there's live music in which case we connect due to the music). However, since getting sober I have not become friends with anyone in recovery. Maybe because I don't attend meetings and I just haven't sought out a community of support outside SR.

Instead, I've been spending more time with people who don't seem to have substance abuse problems. Some of these folks don't drink because of health issues, some drink moderately, and some overdo it sometimes. It's a very different social scene hanging out with people whose main focus isn't getting drunk or high. It's a refreshing distraction from those in recovery who focus so much on recovery, or alcoholics and addicts not in recovery that focus so much on getting trashed.

Anyway...I guess I'm saying I am somewhat wary of others in recovery. Maybe because I don't always fully trust myself, either. Heck, I'm pretty wary of people, in general. I'm just not very trusting. I've been burned as have we all, no?
Old 09-13-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Zero, great point. I think I am wary of people in recovery for the same reason. And I'm not very trusting. Ha! That's putting it mildly. My default is to not trust.