Notices

reason Im here -so simple so comlicated

Old 09-12-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

reason Im here -so simple so comlicated

First it was "I will have a few beers to unwind" every few weeks......, then it was 5,6,7,8,9 beers...more often.
I have a great job, great wife....I knowe somethings wrong NOW.
I look more forward to consuming the beer in the evening than ANYTHING else
Lately its been...hmmmm, I got to go buy this 12 pack (just for tonight) at a different store or the people who know me will think Im a drunk.

So, hi...Im here to be with others who relate. Ive been studying here for a few months, just "joined".

Im ready to stop the cycle.
Ive done it before...stop. I can quit w/o major effects.
I also would like to loose a few pounds, gain a few bucks.

Mainly, I want to stop drinking. guess that just means - dont buy anymore beer. so simple -so complicated.
Any input is appreciated
Thanks
Old 09-12-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes I can certainly relate, my drinking habits a few years ago mirrored yours.
Couldn't wait until I got off work to start popping those tops.....and not stop until I went to bed. Get up next day with hangover, go to work, repeat.

Great that you can stop with few unpleasant effects. You're lucky. Just watch out for that little voice in your head that WILL start telling you, "you've done great...just one or two wont hurt" Famous last words.

Great place, lots of support and good advice here.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are wise to see the progression and to determine that eliminating Alcohol completely from your life is the solution.
Saying it's easy would be totally false. But the liberating feeling is worth the effort. Being controlled by a substance is really bad for our self worth.

Glad you posted and I looking forward to reading your posts as you journey to freedom.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! I totally understand just like everyone here. I have been repeating the cycle thinking this time it will be different... Then it is ok for a few days or weeks. Then, blackouts, blurry weekends with beers starting earlier and earlier. Each time I said I would take it easy and switch to water or some other dumb idea. Never ever worked, not once.

Have you noticed that the looking forward to the beer is much more fun than drinking it? Normar is right on, don't listen to the addictive voice telling you it is ok in a week or two. Come back and read your first post.

Beer is everywhere, but you can become a person who chooses not to drink. You are missing nothing but grief, self loathing and regret. Give the sober you a chance, you will love that person more than the poison in a can. I guarantee it. Consider joining the September class. It is such a help as you all are at the same place and face the same challenges. Helped me tremendously.

You can do this.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. You'll find a lot of support and useful info here.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you noticed that the looking forward to the beer is much more fun than drinking it?

Um...BIG TIME.
aarg
Old 09-12-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Living,
Been there done that... the alcohol becomes the one and only issue and event. Everything else becomes small in comparison.
Yes, the main advice is don't take the first drink. No matter what.
Secondary, look into meetings. The people I know from AA are some of the finest I have ever met.
Hope to check in and see that you are still here and ready to make a change It's really worth it!
Beth
Old 09-12-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

quitting is easy, staying stopped is difficult.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome livingnow. It's great to have you join us.

You're never alone now that you found SR. We're open 24/7 for support & encouragement. I'm glad you see what lies down the road if you don't stop - you'll be saving yourself so much grief. You can do it!
Old 09-12-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hear ya! This is a great place! commit with us... Check in daily and hold yourself accountable... You can break the crazy cycle!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-12-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here Livingnow!!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, your story sounds familiar. I used to rotate between 6 different liquor stores plus the occasional 6 or 12 pack from the grocery store. I lied to myself that the clerks did not know I was an alcoholic.

Broke the habit after many years of daily drinking and don't miss it a bit. SR has been a big help in that regard. Like all of us here, I was on a slippery slope to a ruined life and early death if I did not stop drinking.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Same story here. I had several liquor stores around. I hit them in a domino fashion. One of my "moderation" techniques was to purchase small amounts. I would tell myself that would be it for the night. Then i would go to a different liquor store to buy another small amount.

Oh yeah, drinking was never as much fun as thinking of drinking.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ditto. I rotated stores so it wouldn't look like I was a problem drinker. The anticipation of drinking was always better than the real deal. Until the end when I was miserably sick all the time and couldn't eat unless I drank first. Shook and was anxious until I had that first drink. But it was never just one. Glad you joined us.

P.s., beautiful state. I've spent a lot of time in the White Mountains.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can relate to your story. I rotated liquor stores when I cared to, but then I became so bad at times I would just show up sometimes multiple times in a day plastered. In the end we are only lying to ourselves.

The reason you look forward to it more than anything else is because you are addicted. When you are badly addicted to a drug like alcohol, it becomes everything. When you break the cycle and get away from the addiction, however, you will begin to see things in a new way. It is possible to get better, this website is proof.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Similar to me & i just set my mind to a date (1st Sept) & just stopped the cycle.

Took a week to settle down. I had no problem sleeping at all. Headaches on days 4 to 6, that's all.

I told myself if i can't do this myself, then i have a serious problem & need professional help. That determination to prove a point to myself keeps me going.

do it & you will see the weight fall off & the money pile up.

& this forum is a fantastic support.

Good luck
Old 09-13-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My experience was similar, different stores, to avoid embarrassment.

I'll give you a tip though. If you keep on drinking, in my experience, you can eventually get to a place where you no longer care. It's at this stage, you'll really be in deep deep shite.

So yeah, pull up now before you get to that stage, would be a fantastic idea.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome...I read your post as everything would be great if I just removed the beer. This intention is nobel and just but often I find that what leads to the desire to drink needs to be resolved in order to fix the symptom (drinking the beer).

SR is a great place and I hope you are successful and find what you want on this journey.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Rotating liquor stores... Check

Buying 'small amounts' .... Check

Been there and done that and so much more.....

So many embarrassing, baffling, shameful things.

I'm creeping up on nine months sober and even as I read this, the little nagging 'geeze maybe I could just have ONE beer. Just now and again, just limit it to ONE'.

Insane right? Insane.

Thank you for helping me stay sober today. If not for reading these accounts, seeing that it doesn't magically go away, I'd likely fall for it again. Next thing I knew I'd be having 'just one'.

That one would 'prove' to me I could 'sometimes' have a 'couple'.

Then one day I'd be waking up on the floor next to a pile of my own vomit and feces.

Or in a jail cell.

Or maybe this time, at an accident scene....

No. The possibility that somehow after decades of the pattern I might somehow be 'cured' is a notion of insanity. And not worth the gamble.

Besides - I love life sober. I love ME sober.

I wish you strength and success.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!