Notices

Loneliness in early recovery.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I drank alone and hid it... Would drink around others but just like you guys said it always either ended badly or I got irritated having to keep pace with others. It would embarrass me if someone noticed if I was ahead... I was usually more ahead then they knew because I probably started at home before we even met up.... Hid it from my husband, hid empties in everywhere... Really dumb stuff....

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-09-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes alynn , I would get irritated when others drank slow because I wanted to drink fast. The more I drank the faster I would chug.

I guess what we are experiencing now is freedom
Old 09-09-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was always lonely - even in a crowd.

One thing my recovery did for me - and I can;t express how grateful I am for this - it forced me to spend time in my own company.

I always avoided that before, because I hated myself so much.

I found I was actually a pretty ok guy, and I was working to make myself even better.

The paradox was - as soon as I got ok with being by myself, other people started to enter, or re-enter my life.

I'm sure the same will happen with you too, mrrryah

D
Old 09-09-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Mirrryah1---- This is totally normal and I think you answered the question yourself. AA is a good start if it works for you. It works for me. Once you start working the program and have a network, I bet you will start feeling better. Give your self some time, you are mourning something that was with you all the time. It takes time to let that go and accept that fact that you have a new, healthier life now. I wish you the best of luck. Congrats on two weeks. That is awesome.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I also relate-I mostly drank alone. Right now I think I'm too preoccupied with recovering to feel lonely. SR has certainly helped me realize I am not alone. Thanks for this thread!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think I was a combination of A and B. I drank lightly socially, then finished the job at home. Many nights I came straight home and drank until bed...or couch...or chair...
Old 09-09-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
That was exactly me. I had plenty of opportunities to drink with other people. But I didn't want to drink with other people. Because that always turned out one of two ways:

I would either NOT enjoy my drinking, because I was controlling it so I wouldn't be judged... or alternatively, I would drink freely so I could enjoy it, and end up doing something to humiliate myself, and feel judged.

Neither option was much appealing to me. Lol.

Even when I went out to "social events", I would USUALLY (if I was lucky) stick around for one quick drink and then bolt, heading straight to the liquor store, so I could go home and commence drinking alone.
Ah this is all so true... did all these things
Old 09-09-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Thanks Mrrryah for sharing that ......All of what everyone has shared here I can relate to, so I will "feel" the loneliness tonight, knowing, I am not alone